On Saturday, June 27, People’s Champ Boxing makes its big return with a fully stocked card of boxing action with the National Guard Armory in Anderson, Indiana as its chosen locale for battle.
Ten bouts are scheduled; co-promoted by People’s Champ Boxing and Jeff Wilson Promotions, complete with special guests Steve ‘2 Pound’ Forbes, a former IBF junior lightweight titlist and ‘The Contender: Season Two’ finalist and, from the Super Bowl XLI champion Indianapolis Colts, defensive captain Gary Brackett and 2007’s Associated Press’ NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders. People’s Champ CEO Mike Leanardi is exceptionally excited about the event. Says Leanardi, ”There are only 100 tickets left and we are expecting a sellout.”
Travis Loveless vs. Thomas Kirk
Topping off the night’s fights is a compelling six-round main event between undefeated super middleweight Travis Loveless, 19-0 (16), and mixed martial arts veteran Thomas Kirk, 2-1 (1), of Greenwood, Indiana. Loveless, nicknamed ‘Hitman’, is a Frankfort native who made his debut in August of 2005; dispatching 55-fight veteran James Rice in three. Loveless’ biggest win would come by way of a first-round TKO win over then-undefeated Indy favorite Jimmy ‘The Fighting Schoolteacher’ Holmes two years ago. What makes Loveless’ meeting against Kirk compelling is the collision of styles. Will Kirk acclimate to a style of fighting he hasn’t utilized since his last professional boxing outing back in November 2006 or will he fall victim to a return of Loveless’ heavy-handed ways?
Cedric Johnson vs. Dezi Ford
Supporting Loveless vs. Kirk is hometown favorite Cedric Johnson, 10-4 (8). Johnson will be facing former National Golden Gloves Champion Dezi Ford, 24-24-2 (9), in a scheduled four round bout. Johnson, who, in his fourth pro outing, faced current Undisputed Middleweight Champion Kelly Pavlik, will be making his long-awaited hometown debut on Saturday night.
Undercard (subject to state commission approval and/or change)
- Lemmo Wright, pro debut, vs. Pedro Martinez, 4-2 (2), four rounds, cruiserweights
- Enobong Umohette, 1-1 (1), vs. Jeremiah Williams, 0-1, four rounds, heavyweights
- Jeff Poole, 2-0 (2), vs. Travis Richards, 0-5, four rounds, super middleweights
- Mark Hale, 4-11-1 (3), vs. Mike Dawson, 0-1, four rounds, welterweights
- Milton Wynn, 8-0 (5), vs. Ken Schomber, 3-17 (2), four rounds, heavyweights
- Tyree Ortiz, 1-0 (1), vs. Justin Keyes, pro debut, four rounds, heavyweights
- Elizabeth Sherman vs. Samanatha Ward (pro debut for both ladies), junior lightweights
- Mustapha Johnson, 5-5-1 (2), vs. Roberto Florentino, 3-4 (3), middleweights
The National Guard Armory is located at 125 S. Scatterfield Road, Anderson, Indiana
Doors open at 7:30. Tickets are $20 for general admission seats, $35 for VIP ringside.
For more information, please call the Armory at 317-602-7817,
Mike Leanardi, CEO, People’s Champ Boxing, 702-997-5310
Coyote Duran, PCB Public Relations Director, 630-857-6962