The CBZ Newswire

Jesse Uhde and Daniel Gonzalez Treat Montana Fight Fans to a War in Kalispel

by on Oct.26, 2014, under Boxing News

Story and Photos by Ricardo Ibarra


Uhde lands to the body..

Uhde lands to the body..

KALISPEL, MT — Taking the lead role as promoter of a fight card for the first time is aways an arduous endeavor. If you couple this with also being slated to fight in the headline bout, that task can become overwhelming. This past Friday at the Flathead County Fairgrounds in Kalispel, Montana, professional prize fighter Jesse Uhde took on that unenviable role as his Hard Knocks Fight Promotions staged its first show with him as the main attraction. In the six round main event Uhde, a resident of Kalispel, took on the rough and tough 40+ fight veteran Daniel Gonzalez, of Billings, Montana. What transpired next was one of the best six round fights seen in the region in the last year.

Fighting in front of a packed crowd of local supporters, Uhde (5-4 2KOs 163.5 lbs.) came into the fight very confident. As the fight got underway he looked relaxed and loose, quickly setting the tempo and taking control of the bout . For the first two rounds he boxed well, using a stiff jab and smart lateral movement to keep Gonzalez (10-33 3KOs 165 lbs.) out of range and off balance, easily winning the rounds. Gonzalez, meanwhile, continued to press in the early going of the fight and, while he had a very hard time staying in close, when he did manage to get in range he worked in a few sneaky body shots to his opponent’s mid-section.

In the third round that consistent body work by Gonzalez began to pay dividends. As Gonzalez pressed the action, Uhde no longer pivoted out of the pocket, but instead chose to stand and trade. The pace quickly picked up with both warriors slamming each other with heavy leather. Towards the end of the round the fight erupted with both fighters slugging away in some vicious exchanges along the ropes, neither fighter wanting to give and inch.

Uhde and Gonzalez square off.

Uhde and Gonzalez square off.

As the fourth round began, Gonzalez once again pressed the action and pushed Uhde back along the ropes with a hard right hand. Uhde quickly retaliated, standing his ground and trading shot for shot with his opponent. Mid-way through the round a hard left hook seemed to stun Uhde, but as had been the case before, he immediately fired back, engaging in a wild exchange that left the crowd in a frenzy.

The close quarters match was clearly favoring Gonzalez and at the start of the fifth round Uhde seemed to realize this and attempted to make an adjustment, beginning the round with long jabs and movement. The attempt to restore a slower pace would be short lived, though. One minute into the round a hard right from Gonzalez drew Uhde into a slugging match once again. The two wailed away with relentless vigor for the remainder of the round, finishing it landing shot for shot on each other. As the two combatants walked back to their respective corners they were both visibly exhausted from the intense pace and violence of the fight.

Uhde momentarily took back control of the fight in the sixth with smart boxing. Early on in the stanza he managed to keep Gonzalez at bay with his jab and movement. But as theĀ  fight neared the end, Uhde couldn’t help but fall back into what the crowd came to see, a war. The two fighters, understandably drained, finished the fight chest to chest trading punches to the soundtrack of a wildly loud and thankful crowd.

A victorious Uhde mugs for the camera.

A victorious Uhde mugs for the camera.

All three judges scored the fight 58-56 for Uhde in a very closely fought and hard to score battle.

Uhde adds his second win in a row while Gonzalez loses his fourth fight of the year. Both warriors gave fans a memorable night and a great fight. After the show, the crowd was abuzz with what they had just seen and with the prospects of seeing these two in the ring with each other again in the near future. It may be too much to ask for, but with Hard Knocks’ next show possibly taking place in February, a rematch may be in order.

In a scheduled four round amateur cruiserweight bout, Billings, Montana’s Anthony Sullivan (185 lbs.) stopped North Dakota’s Adrian “Goes ahead” Pretty (180 lbs.) in the second round. Sullivan was the better skilled boxer and he quickly used those skills to take control of the fight. Working behind his jab, Sullivan maneuvered around the ring, occasionally finding his opponent’s chin with his right hand. Late in the first round a barrage from Sullivan prompted the referee to issue a standing eight-count. In the second round a series of hard hooks to the ribs left Pretty hurt and doubled over in pain, forcing the referee to stop the bout, giving Sullivan a second round TKO.

Jeremy Grilley (165lbs.) claimed a four round unanimous decision over Andrew Howk (169 lbs.) in an amateur super middleweight bout. Grilley, a southpaw, used a solid jab and accurate counterpunching to control most of the bout. Howk was a determined fighter, coming forward most of the fight, but he didn’t manage to land anything of consequence. In the third round a hard counter right stunned Howk, prompting the referee to issue a standing eight count. All three judges scored the fight a shutout for Grilley.

In a three round amateur heavyweight bout, Michael Shockey pitched a shut out over Chad Preble. Preble began the bout boxing well, using his jab and movement to stay out of range. Mid-way through the round, though, Shockey found his mark with a hard right hand to the chin, shaking Preble. From that point on it was all Shockey as his superior strength showed with each punch he landed. A hard left hook-straight right combo buckled the knees of Preble late in the third round, but Preble was able to maneuver away from any follow up by Shockey. All three judges scored the bout 30-27 for Shockey.

Flathead Boxing’s Dyan Guzman (130 lbs.) scored a close split decision over Absolute fighting’s Brandon Scholz (129 lbs.) in a three round amateur bout. The bout took on a quick pace from the start with both fighters stepping in close and opening up early. Scholz seemed to have a slight edge early, but in the second and through the third Guzman appeared to land with greater consistency. One judge scored it for Scholz at 29-28, with the other two giving Guzman the nod at 29-28.

In a processional MMA match, Great Falls, Montana’s Blake Green stopped Brandon Bailey in the first round. The first round was fast paced with both fighters positioning for control, but it would be Green who would hurt his opponent first with a straight right hand. Bailey, who was making his pro debut, tried to recover by taking Green down, but Green easily broke free and brought the fight back to a standing position. With about a minute left in the round, Green would end matters with a hard left hook to the chin as Bailey turned away appearing to struggle with his mouth piece. The referee stepped in as Bailey took shots, failing to defend himself, giving Green the TKO win.

Hard Knocks Fight Promotions staged an eventful first card, giving fight fans a great variety of match-ups, topped off with a great main event. Plans are underway to possibly stage another show sometime in February. For updates on their next date visit their Facebook page.


  • Share/Save/Bookmark
:, ,

Comments are closed.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!