PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Chris Schenkel

kikibalt
09-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Netword Sportscaster has died

blv30
09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
When did this happen? Wasn't he the one who did fight broadcasts with Cosell about 25 years ago?

kikibalt
09-12-2005, 05:53 PM
blv30
Schenkel died Sunday ( 9-11-05
after a long battle with emphysema
he was 82.
I don't remember him working with Cosell
but i might be wrong

AEP2
09-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Chris Schenkel was a classy, gracious and knowledgable broadcaster. I would rank him just below Don Dunphy.

Schenkel did do some broadcasts with Cosell. I specifically recall him doing the Foreman-Young, Holmes-Shavers II and Hagler-Antufermo I fights. I'm sure he did others.

Schenkel was part of a dying breed of broadcasters who came out of radio. He was always respectful of the participants but would criticize an athlete when they did something unprofessional. Unfortunately, broadcasters like Schenkel were replaced by broadcasters like Cosell. Cosell started the new type - the broadcaster as celebrity in the worst sense. Cosell knew little about sports but knew alot about instigating things and having the spotlight shine on himself.

PeteLeo
09-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Didn't Chris handle ABC's Sunday doubleheader of Mike Tyson WDQ/TKO 6 Jesse Ferguson and Mike Weaver TKO 2 Carl "The Truth Is He Had No Chin" Williams? Seems like I recall Schenkel interviewing an ecstatic Weaver following his shock stoppage of the hot Williams and asking him (Weaver) how he lost so much weight for the bout. PeteLeo.