PDA

View Full Version : Angelo Dundee: Ali was an introvert

Theo Netherland
05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Muhammad Ali: The Persona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqX6IQ4QnWs

I wonder if Angelo Dundee is getting old. As I understood Ali he was a loudmouth from day one, age twelve. His inspiration for bragging and being so loud came from the wrestler gorgeous George. So even at an early stage Ali was predicting he would be champion. After he won the Olympics he started to train at Archie Moore’s gym. He didn’t last there very long because there was no room for two stars. And then he moved on to Angelo Dundee. And now Dundee tells he took Ali out of his introversion. I can’t believe that…

apollack
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
HAHAHAHAHA. Boxing is so full of bullshit you have to wonder if these guys who spout off so much b.s. even know what is true anymore. Sure Ali was a promoter, but to say he was naturally introverted strains credulity. Anyone who actually believes he was an introvert, well, I'd like to sell you some nice farmland in Antarctica.

Theo Netherland
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
If there is one Ali-expert, it must be Angelo Dundee. But if he says things like this then I don’t know what to believe from him anymore. This really pisses me off. A certain trust is now broken.

Theo Netherland
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
If Angelo Dundee tells the truth, that Clay was an introvert, then all these people that knew Clay from the start must be lying:

Muhammad Ali - The Whole Story (1996) - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bHnvnOzH4&feature=related

PD99
05-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Dundee has been known to stretch things.

If he were to have stated that Ali was an extrovert - we'd simply say thanks for the News, Flash. Stating that Ali was an introvert gains more attention and positions Dundee as having a far more unique and far deeper insight into "The Greatest" ("The Greatest" - a self proclaimed title timid little Ali somehow squeaked out on more than a few occasions) than anybody else.

Deeper insight Dundee more than likely had but I think he may be trying to falsely accentuate the point with this newest proclamation. Even the most outspoken people have their more quiet, reflective sides but that hardly flips them over to being introverted.

Man, according to Dundee, the break between rds v Henry Cooper just keeps getting longer and longer. I think last I read, Dundee was up to something like 4 minutes!! All other reference points besides suggest that Ali was afforded as little as 4 seconds extra between rounds - but of course, if Dundee suggests that a protracted break between rds ensured Ali's survival, then that serves to boost Dundee's contribution to Ali's success because it was Dundee who deliberately worsened the tear in the glove (or so he claims).

Theo Netherland
05-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Next thing Angelo might say is that he stole Clay’s bike to get him into boxing.

walshb
05-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I found the comment to be inaccurate, obviously, but more a passing comment as opposed to a definitive and factual comment.