PDA

View Full Version : "Boom Boom" Mancini vs. Duran

Newpoppop
02-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Could Ray stand up to "hands of stone"?

PeteLeo
02-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Not for long. But he'd fight his ass off while it lasted. PeteLeo.

robertk
02-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Agreed.

Guys like Mancini hang tough and take a major league beating before they're finally stopped. Usually, they don't have much left after that initial defeat either. And they really get taken apart in there.

I think another guy that fits the same bill for this opponent and is similar to Mancini would be Ricky Hatton.

SageBrush
02-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Ray, a very strong Lightweight would soon notice his greatest asset is his attacking strength, and his ability to back up Roberto against the ropes, Roberto was used to fighters trying to maintain distance from him, and catch him coming in when the opportunity arises, but Ray forces him back on his heels from the Get-Go, Using his shoulder to keep Roberto pinned on the ropes, Ray also notices that inside is the best place to fight Roberto, he is nullifying Durans ability to Counter, and Roberto's inability to fight inside off the ropes is leaving him an open target for Rays Big wide-arc hooks,

This wearing down process continues until the seventh, by which time Duran's spirit is also broken, Ray launches another fusillade of six or seven headshots, all direct hits…and Duran slumps to the floor…as a white towel flutters in from his corner….Ray wins by stoppage in the 7th…
As Ray Runs to the nearest corner and climbs the ropes to aknowledge the roaring acclaim of the crowd, he Shouts "…this one's for you Pop…"

As the bell rings to herald the official announcement…Ray, still in the corner punching the air, notices that the Crowd are becoming defused..Tears of Joy moistening his vision no doubt ..but the defussion gets worst…and the bell is still ringing……and ringing……and ringing….

And Ray wakes up and finds himself sitting up in bed, in a pool of sweat..with his right arm raised ….it's 3am and his alarm clock is ringing ….and ringing…and ringing…

Well is their really any other way Ray could beat Roberto ???

Kid Achilles
02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I loved that one Sage!

SageBrush
02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Kid

I thought the "Duran can not fight inside off the ropes" might cause a few to splutter ?

Regards Sage

wildhawke11
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Sagebrush
When i first started reading your post on the fight. My instant reaction was "What The FxxK is this guy talking about" I would have course have put it much more politely then that in a return posting. Loved it made me laugh, in fact made my day i even read it out to my wife and son.
Cheers :D

SageBrush
02-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Wildsehawke11

Thanks very much, it's nice not to take things too seriously sometimes, and have a laugh, if i have made someone smile, much less chuckle, then that pleases me immensly, so thanks very much.

Oh yes, i really like Ray Mancini as a fighter, he gave his all, and would give many top lightweights hell....
but Duran is...Duran.

Regards Sage

Dragnet 69
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Very creative post Sage I enjoyed it.

SageBrush
02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Dragnet _ Thanks very Much - but then i go and do something stupid like posting Albarado Vs Moore on the Modern Section
--TWICE !!

Oh well cant win them all !

Regards Sage

Sam228
02-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Sage,
That was very creative and savvy writing; it certainly brought a smile to my face.
Sam

SageBrush
02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Sam

Many Thanks, Not only was i dreaming of a fantasy Match-up,
but also that one of the combatants themselves was dreaming ! - i guess in future i will simply stick to the one fantasy !

Regards Sage

Petey
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Good one Sage!

Yeah, Duran inside 7, and just because Ray was so determined, conditioned, and didn't know when to quit. This assumes that the ref ain't too squeamish either...

I Duran box an exhibition last year. Roberto was about 54 years old, weighed around 210 by my best guess, and was still recovering from a near fatal car wreck. I am pretty sure that Roberto had also had more than a few before the sparring session. His sparring partner was Otis Gage, who was 12-0 when he apparently quit boxing in 2003 or so. Guesing Otis was maybe in his early 30s or so. Not sure what the temp was in an outdoor uncovered ring, but know it was hot enough there that my feet got sunburned. Anyways, in some exchanges, Otis seemed to flare up and take momentary advantage of his relative youth and speed. Duran responded by left hooking and bulling his younger, taller, stronger partner into the ropes - you could tell a mauling by Roberto was going to be forthcoming if things stayed heated. Fortunately, they didn't, and Duran clowed away for the last round and a half.

Of course, Duran was over the hill when he beat Davey Moore - on his 32nd birthday or so - and moreso when he beat Barkley when he was around 38. But, it was a pleasure to see a few glimpses into his past in person.

PeteLeo
04-13-2006, 02:27 AM
There's a video floating around showing a declining Duran in a heated sparring session with a then-peaking Nigel Benn. Old Roberto did very well in that one. PeteLeo.

KOJOE90
04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
There's a video floating around showing a declining Duran in a heated sparring session with a then-peaking Nigel Benn. Old Roberto did very well in that one. PeteLeo.

There is indeed, as a fan of both fighters I would love to see that tape I think it happened around 1988/89.