PDA

View Full Version : Ring Mag' Prospect Artical, Help Please!!!

KOJOE90
06-12-2010, 07:33 AM
OK this is a long shot but I am hoping one of you CBZ guys can put me out of my misery.

About 16 years ago a friend lent me a box of old Boxing Magazines for a few days. They were mostly Ring Magazines from about 1976 to 1981.

In one there was a feature of a young Boxing prodigy from the USA. There was all this talk about how he could be a the next great fighter, amazing talent etc etc...

There was also a large picture of him. He was black maybe 8 years old and had a huge afro type haircut

I know this is somewhat vague and a real longshot but does anyone have this magazine and can anyone tell me the name of the the above fighter, it's been bugging me for years.

hawk5ins
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
About 8 years old and the piece said he was going to KO Muhammad ALi.

Pretty sure the article was more of a Lark, than anything else.

It was in one of the Victory Sports Series magazines, World Boxing, International Boxing or Big Book of Boxing.

Will dig around.

Hawk

Kyoodle
06-12-2010, 09:21 PM
About 8 years old and the piece said he was going to KO Muhammad ALi.

Pretty sure the article was more of a Lark, than anything else.

It was in one of the Victory Sports Series magazines, World Boxing, International Boxing or Big Book of Boxing.

Will dig around.

Hawk

Ditto for me. I know it is among the ungodly stacks of old mags down in the basement and up in the crawlspace. IIRC, the article was about "Tiger" Smalls. He had the best 'fro this side of Huey Newton, too.

Kyoodle

KOJOE90
06-13-2010, 06:49 AM
You guys are awesome!!! This has been bugging me for years. I found this

http://www.tigersmalls.com/main.html?src=%2Findex2.html#5,0

EDIT:

He turned pro' under a different name according to Boxrec and his record is different to the one on his own website.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=27851&cat=boxer

hawk5ins
06-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I had "Tiger" something on the tip of my tongue, but wanted to validate first.

That's the kid. Wish the site had identified the magazine the piece was done in.

Thanks for jogging the memory banks guys!

Hawk

Sharkey
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Wasnt he pictured with Ernie Shavers?

Theo Netherland
06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
In one there was a feature of a young Boxing prodigy from the USA.

According to boxrec he became pro at 23. Ain't that a little late for a prodigy?

KOJOE90
06-19-2010, 04:41 AM
According to boxrec he became pro at 23. Ain't that a little late for a prodigy?

In the article I was talking about he was about 8 years old.

8 is pretty young.

BDeskins
08-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I've got all of my 70s and 80s Ring mags together and I'll do a quick scan through them to find the article. I recall the article very well...the kid had an afro that was bigger than he was!

brutu
08-08-2010, 03:31 AM
IMOP ,I thought musician Billy Preston had the best Afro,at least in the early 1970's.