PDA

View Full Version : SOME GREAT RIGHT HAND SHOTS

mike21
02-22-2006, 10:16 AM
in the heavyweight division, some of the great right hand that have landed were in chronilogical order- johnson -ketchel, some dempsey heart shots,louis uzcundum, louis- braddock, baer-schemling,baer-carnera,louis- schmeling to the spine, marciano-walcott,foreman-frazier. any others out there and any favorites? louis-uzcundum and loui-schemling seem about as great as any imo-whats yours?

gazot
02-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Two of the hardest, most explosive right hand punches I ever saw land were Tyson against Holmes and Lewis vs Rahman. Given the size of Lennox Lewis this must be one of the hardest punches ever thrown in a boxing ring.

OMG65
02-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Not heavyweights but the 2 most brutal I saw were:

Alexis Arguello right hand bomb on Kevin Rooney.

Thomas Hearns right hand bomb on Roberto Duran.

kikibalt
02-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Size have nothing to do with been able to punch hard, imo, Tyson was smaller but punched harder then Lewis

Frank B.

gregbeyer
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
antonio gomez hitting shozo saijo with a righthand in japan. was recenly given this tape and it is a brutal shot. saijo actualy got up but not for long.
greg

Hagler04
02-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Joe Louis's right cross to Schmeling that puts him down is one of the fastest right hands I've ever seen . . .you can miss it if you blink.

Hearns vs Duran

Ali vs Lyle (a PERFECT punch)

Shavers vs Holmes

Roberto Aqui
02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Willard's leaping straight right to the chin of Johnson. Willard looked like an athletic Little Red Lopez when he landed that shot. He landed a right hand to the heart earlier that seemed to cause Johnson to skip some beats and pull back. Those were as fast and hard as any heavy shots. Johnson was out for several minutes

Lewis also level Rudduck with a fine right hand, think it was an uppercut followed by a straight right, but I'd have to review to make sure.

Wasn't it a right hand to the body that Fitz caved Corbett in with? Corbett had a real funny reaction on the canvas with that shot.

mike21
02-22-2006, 08:11 PM
willards right hand was great when he landed it, as against johnson- outside of lewis, willard may have been the best giant of all in regards to durability,power,and gamness; he was to say the least, very hard to discourage by the time he got experience- and never knockdown until dempsey.now, how about satterfields best right hand performance?

mike21
02-22-2006, 08:47 PM
oh yeah FITZ, well actually it was a left hook that took care of jim c.-- imo, even above langford, dempsey, and wilde, fitz- the only really legit puncher to kill two men and just amazed his opponents with his power {maybe they heard of a death or two], but the tough young bucks would not care. anyhow p4p as hard a hitter as any man-- i knoe one thing--unless i was a supertalent and a superheavyweight, i would not go anywhere near that guy, from the films ive seen he was a very short,puncher.BUT, there were times he was not accuate, and times he he, that unpredicability to when he WAS accurate to vital areas, may have spelled some of the doom for his opponest. also, being such a hitter, obviously alot of guys neccessarily need to be cautios if not truly defensive.

mike21
02-22-2006, 09:24 PM
at any rate- just as far as perhaps the top right hand shot- splitting hairs and all on this, was the fiece louis slamming the punch to schemlimg that did damage to his his SPINE . imo. but yours?

Ronald Lipton
02-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Some of my favorite right hand bombs.

Hearns Ko over Duran
Carter dropping Fernandez
Tyson leveling Holmes off the top of his head
Lewis V Tyson
Lewis V Ruddock
Hearns over Cuevas

Louis v Schmeling
Marciano V Walcot I
Carlos Hernadez V Paulo Rossi

Arguello v Rooney
Shavers flooring Holmes
Shavers flooring Ellis (Rt.uppercut)
Walcott dropping Louis (Both fights with smashing right hands)

Graziano v Arnold

Lew Jenkins v Ambers

Tiger v Rouse

Fullmer V Micelli (Overhand bomb)

Nigel Benn V Barkley (Minus the fouls)

Julian Jackson v Terry Norris

Mugabi v Curtis Parker, Frank Fletcher

Benitez v Maurice Hope

McClellan V Jackson

Ray Leonard v Gonzalez

Ronald Lipton
02-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Please add, the all time show stopper,

Guy "The Rock" Casale poleaxing Bobby Halpearn with a right hand that left him on the canvas with a glass eyed dead salmon vacant stare.

Chuck Lidell icing of Randy Couture (UFC) sorry about the non boxing thing Doom.

Baer v Schmeling

Charlie Devil Green dropping Torres twice in first round,
once in second with booming right hands,

Devil Green stopping elusive Ray Anderson with crunching right hand in 1st round, after Anderson went 15 rounds with Bob Foster,

PD99
02-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Oh yeah, Baer's right hand almost tore Schmeling's head off.

Not to leave out the obvious - the classic right hand on super tough Braddock that signalled the Brown Bomber's long reign.

It didn't render a KO or even a KD but Shaver's rd 2 right hand bomb on Ali was HUGE. How Ali took that I'll never know.

Along similar lines, Valdez' rd 2 shot on Monzon in their return match. Really a perfect, flush shot. Unfortunately for Rodrigo, it landed on one of boxing best chins and all he got for it was little better than a flash KD.

JC Chavez suffered only two KDs during his long career and the two right hands that did the trick (by Frankie Randall and KT) were more than worthy of the honour.

Leotis Martin's brain scrambling right on Sonny Liston.

HEGrant
02-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Ron Lyle landed some beauties on Foreman.

I've never seen it but I've read Louis' right to flatten Uzcuzden was amazing...

We're obviously skipping the obvious if we don't mention the all time, most famous Marciano/Walcott.

starlingstomp
02-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Loyd Honeyghan's overhand-right on Gianfranco Rosi

Tim Witherspoon vs Anders Ecklund

An obscure one that always comes to mind for me is Pat Barrett vs Efrem Calamati for the European light-welter title.I'm sure some of the British\Italian members will remember that one.

thumper3852
02-23-2006, 01:25 AM
There's been a bunch of them for sure, but my favorite is probably Buster Douglas' big right that floored Tyson and put him out of misery....

.............too bad it didn't save all of us from Tysonand his sick crap.

walsh b
02-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Kiki, you always seem to come out with this 'size has nothing to do with punching hard' statement. Tyson and Lewis are both heavies, Lennox is bigger and hits damn hard, maybe harder with a single shot than Mike. Maybe not though as well. But to say size doesn't play a part is notv true. Once the extra advantage in weight and height are harnessed properly by a skilled puncher, it does play a part.

PeteLeo
02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
The one that Danny Nardico used to floor Jake LaMotta. I think I've seen clips of it, but it may be in the same dimension as the so-called "Thunderbird photo" that so many people recall seeing but no one can produce now.
Any punch that could floor the Bronx Bull has to be of Hall of Fame Quality. PeteLeo.

gazot
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Walshb you beat me to it. I just don't buy this argument that once you weigh over 175lb you're a heavyweight and everything is equal. If correct punching is getting your body weight behind a punch then surely it matters how much you weigh. Remember the famous photo of Marciano landing flush on Walcott. This punch didn't even floor Walcott! Would Jersey Joe have been standing if Marciano weighed 230lb's? Does anyone think that Walcott would stay on his feet after catching the punch that Rahman did against Lewis?

mike21
02-23-2006, 11:15 PM
pete- i have the film of the nardico flooring lamatta-obviously a good shot- followed up by many many more until the bell.excellant shot-with alot after the knockdown with lamotta holding on to one rope with hone of his hands, trying to stay up as well as move or roll with the punches. if he came out for the nest- well he would go down again, and maybe at some point out.

PeteLeo
02-24-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm glad it didn't prove to be one of my pot and/or alcohol-induced mirages. You know, maybe I did see that Thunderbird Photo long ago and far away . . . . PeteLeo.

rocky111
02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Louis was hands down and helpless on the ropes and Marciano sized him up, aimed, and nailed him with a cruncher that knocked Louis out out out. Oh my God..

AEP2
02-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Jackson's right hand that knocked Herol Graham out cold.

Roberto Aqui
02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Since this has de-evolved into including non-heavies, I would say that right hand that Shotgun Gomez dropped Jeffrey Hill with.

Hill is a physical speciman with speed and he dropped Gomez in the 1st. Shotgun barely beat the count, then Hill pummeled him about the ring. Had Hill been a star, the fight would have been stopped as Gomez was defenseless. Finally Shotgun staggers to ring center and is dropped again and barely gets up.

Hill bores in for the finish and Gomez flattens him with a perfect straight right and Hill is counted out unconcious as Shotgun staggers over to a corner. Stunning 1st round turnaround, probably the best I've ever seen.

pendleton23
02-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Here are some of my favorites:

Freedie Pendleton-Sammy Fuentes-Pendleton nails Fuentes seconds into the 1rst round with a huge righthand.Fight lasts 17 seconds!

Don Curry -Milton Mccroy-Mccroy rises from a knockdown and Curry just walks up to Mccroy and crushes him with a righthand.

Thomas Hearns-Cuevas- Hearns almost takes Cuevas's head off.I can't believe Cuevas managed to beat the count!!

Thomas Hearns-Duran-The sound it made!!!Sounded like Hearns had a baseball bat in his right glove!

Roger Mayweather- Baysmore-Mayweather Righthand ends Baysmore's dreams of becoming a champion.

Roger Mayweather-Serranno-Mayweather puts Serrano to sleep in the 8th round.

Fred Pendleton-Lopez 1rst round-Pendleton nails Lopez with a righthand in the 1rst and Lopez has a delayed reaction where his leg starts to shake and then drops to the canvas.

Julian Jackson-Norris-Ouch!!!!

Tyrone Trice-Ron Collins-Trice just crushes Collins with a huge righthand!

Roger Mayweather -Frankie Davis-Painful to watch!!!

PeteLeo
02-25-2006, 06:56 AM
You could almost include the right hand that designated victim Zack Page landed at the very start of the seventh round against Lou Duva's highly-protected heavy "prospect" Mike Marrone earlier tonight, as it drove Marrone to the mat like a sack of wet sand. But Marrone somehow managed to get up and last through the hellacious round (Page was a tad too gassed to finish him) and take the eighth to eke out a majority win. The kid isn't going anywhere, but he did show a boatload of heart and guts (and some decent stamina) that a lot of more talented "contenders" would do well to emulate. PeteLeo.