PDA

View Full Version : Marquez-Diaz Who Ya Like?

GorDoom
07-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Marquez dreams of third fight with Pacman
by Dan Rafael from ESPN

LAS VEGAS -- If Juan Manuel Marquez retains the lightweight title by beating Juan Diaz again in their rematch of the 2009 fight of the year on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay, there's a good chance Marquez will step up to junior welterweight for a Dec. 11 fight with titlist Amir Khan of England.

Khan, who, like Marquez, is promoted by Golden Boy, is in Las Vegas for the fight. While the fight appeals to Marquez because a victory would make him the first Mexican to win a title in four weight classes, Marquez has a bigger dream fight.

He wants a third fight with Manny Pacquiao. They've fought twice and Marquez came away with a draw in their featherweight championship fight and lost a split decision in the rematch for the junior lightweight title. I was ringside for both outstanding fights and scored both for Marquez, as did many ringside observers.

Since then, Pacquiao and promoter Top Rank have never shown any interest in a third bout, but Marquez is hopeful that someday he'll get another shot at the Pacman.

"Manny Pacquiao, that's my desire; I want it so bad," Marquez said. "I want that third fight with him before my career ends. And maybe another one would be to fight Erik Morales or Ricky Hatton, but Manny Pacquiao for sure."

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer is not optimistic that Marquez will ever get the third fight with Pacquiao.

"I pushed for the [third fight] and I was told [by Top Rank], 'well, it's not right, the timing is not right'," Schaefer said. "I can assure you that the timing is never going to be right. I don't think that Pacquiao is ever going to -- or maybe Bob Arum is never going to want to have another piece of Marquez because, even though I'm not a boxing expert, I have learned one thing: styles make fights and somebody might have somebody's number, and Marquez has Pacquiao's number. That's why I think that fight is never going to happen again. But that's OK, because there are so many great fights out there for the winner of Marquez and Diaz."

Linares back in spotlight

The first time Jorge Linares fought in the United States, he stopped Oscar Larios in the 10th round to win a vacant featherweight title. It was a sensational performance on the Bernard Hopkins-Winky Wright undercard at Mandalay Bay in July 2007.

Now Linares, 24, returns to Mandalay Bay to face Rocky Juarez in a lightweight bout on the Marquez-Diaz II undercard. But no longer is Linares the can't-miss future star. Instead, he's a talented young fighter with an uncertain future.

Larios, who eventually claimed a junior lightweight title, lost it in October when Juan Carlos Salgado scored a shocking first-round knockout in one of the biggest upsets of 2009. It was just a few weeks after Linares signed a heavily hyped deal with Golden Boy.

Linares rebounded with a shaky performance in a majority decision win in his native Venezuela against Francisco Lorenzo in March and is returning to a much bigger stage against Juarez.

Linares is confident he'll put the recent difficulties behind him against Juarez.

"You win and lose in this sport. That is part of life," Linares said. "I had some personal issues and they are behind me now. This is not a title fight, but it is a stepping stone to a title shot. All of my training and preparations have been great. I am ready for the fight."

Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya likens Linares' setback to that of Khan, who was knocked out in one round by Breidis Prescott, but rebounded to eventually win a junior welterweight title and become one of the top 140-pounders in the world.

"Linares actually reminds me of what Amir Khan went through," De La Hoya said. "If you recall, Amir Khan got knocked out in one round, and then he came back. People thought he was washed up and then he came back in a spectacular fashion and now is on top of the world. I feel the same way for Linares. Suffering a knockout in your career is not easy, and coming back from it is even harder, but this fight here, it's not going to be an easy one against Rocky Juarez. This is a true, tough test against a real fighter. If Linares is not going to pass this test, if he's not going to win this fight, then we have to re-evaluate his career. We have high hopes for Linares and, obviously, we still have high hopes for Rocky Juarez; that's what makes it so special."

Schaefer said he'll try to get the winner a title shot.

"I do think that the winner, if they decide to stay at lightweight, you have another name there that could fight the winner of Marquez-Diaz, or fight Michael Katsidis," Schaefer said. "If they decide to fight at junior lightweight, we'll have conversations with our friends and partners in Germany [at Universum] who are the promoter of Vitali Tajbert, the WBC champion, so there are definitely opportunities there for whoever might win."

I talked to Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday and got the list of purses for the main fights on Saturday's card. Here you go: Marquez ($1 million), Diaz ($540,000), Daniel Jacobs ($200,000), Dmitry Pirog ($50,000), Robert Guerrero ($75,000), Joel Casamayor ($50,000), Linares ($30,000), Juarez ($45,000), Sakio Bika ($18,000) and Jean Paul Mendy ($12,000). Keep in mind these are the official purses as per the Nevada bout agreements, but it is common for other revenue to be paid through other streams.

GorDoom
07-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Marquez-Diaz II--Who Ya LIke?
By Michael Woods from Sweet Science

The kid is impossible to root against. Humble, respectful, ambitious, a true credit to himself, his family, his upbringing, his heritage and to the sport, Juan Diaz is a boxer who you have to hope makes it as big as possible in this most dangerous game.

But EM thinks that the kid will not be graced with the W on Saturday night, in his rematch with the Mexican ace Juan Manuel Marquez. The two tangled in a swell scrap in February 2009, and it looked by all accounts that The Baby Bull had grown adult horns, and was going to gore Marquez, who looked like a geriatric bullfighter stricken by a bad bout of arthritis early on at the Toyota Center. But then the bullfighter's juices got flowing, and The Baby Bull found himself sucking the air, looking for some extra oxygen to feed his burning and failing lungs. The bullfighter administered the coup de grace, the finishing thrust, in the ninth round, and was awarded a TKO9 win for his trouble.

Diaz (now 25-3, with just 17 KOs) gloved up twice since then, both times against Paulie Malignaggi. The first time, savoring the Gale Van Hoy Advantage, he won a controversial decision (UD12) in his hometown. In that rematch, in Chicago, Malignaggi handily outboxed him (UD12). Diaz didn't look stellar, as he allowed Malignaggi to stick, and move his way to the win. The Diaz effort looked a tad bit worse after we saw what Amir Khan did to Paulie in the Brooklyner's most recent outing.

We wondered, had The Baby Bull peaked, at age 26? A pro since 2000, had too many fights, and too much gym-wear, simply diminished him?

We still wonder.

And sad to say, EM has an inkling that the Bulls' best days may have come in 2007, when he retired Acelino Freitas. Moving forward, Diaz' all action style, his punches in bunches manner, I figured, would make up for a distinct lack of power.

Didn't really pan out that way.

He lost to Nate Campbell, and had a war against Michael Katsidis, the sort that takes a year or two or more off a career for someone who came in less than fresh.

But hope still reigns. The Bull is still snorting, still pawing the dirt, still ready to rumble. He says he has his head on straight, that he isn't fighting for money, or fame, or for any of the wrong reasons now. (Floyd Mayweather might argue with Diaz as to what the "right" reasons to fight are, but anyway...) He says his fitness is the best it's ever been, and that he isn't ready to pursue that law degree he's working on, or go full-time into the construction business he and his brother run.

It brings me no joy to write this, it almost goes without saying, but I see Diaz coming out on the short end at the Mandalay Bay on Saturday. Not because his head isn't on straight, or his fitness isn't as advertised. But because he has limitations, and those will be exploited by the savvy sniper Marquez (50-5).

JMM could, of course, get old overnight. Heck, he's basically old now. The guy turns 37 next month. Maybe he gets overwhelmed on Saturday, maybe he can't pull the trigger, maybe his "muscles get tight," like Shane Mosley's did against Floyd Mayweather two months ago.

But I doubt it.

What about you?

Weigh in. Who ya like?

GorDoom
07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Diaz: ‘Shoulda Been’ Superstar Reaches The Crossroads
By Thomas Gerbasi from Boxing Scene

20 years from now, we probably won’t even be thinking about Juan Diaz the boxer. We’ll be referring to him as Senator Diaz, Governor Diaz, or maybe even President Diaz. That’s the kind of upside the former lightweight champion has in the ‘real’ world.

But for now, he remains the “Baby Bull”, a 26-year old at the crossroads of a decade-long career in the fight game as he approaches his Saturday rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas. Only in boxing can those who haven’t yet reached the age of 30 be deemed in a ‘must-win’ situation, but when you’ve had 38 pro fights, and lost three of your last five (with one of those wins being questionable), you are forced to wear the sport’s scarlet letter.

Yet Diaz, as always, sees the cup as half-full, an admirable trait in a cynical world and even more cynical sport.

“I see this as a win-win situation for me, because this fight is going to prove to me whether I have it or I don't,” he said during a recent media teleconference. “This fight right here is what's going to take me to the top and make me the superstar that I've been wanting to be in the lightweight division, but if it doesn't happen then that means it's not meant to be and I'll move on to bigger and better things, which could be start from the bottom and pick up the pieces to rebuild myself up or completely do a 180 and just go in the opposite direction.”

If the Houston native does fall short of victory on Saturday, it would probably serve the sport right for him to walk away, because as he alluded to, the title “superstar” is one that has not been placed on his head yet, when it should have been as soon as he placed the lightweight crown on his head for the first time in 2004.

A fighter with an all-action, fan-friendly style, Diaz may not have had the power to match his aggressiveness, but it was never for lack of trying. That should have been enough to get him some well-deserved attention. Add in his affable and humble personality, endless charity work, and his ability to juggle a full course load at the University of Houston, and you’ve got the perfect ambassador for a sport that always could use any positive press it can get.

But Diaz’ ascension to the level of a Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather or Oscar De La Hoya didn’t happen. Sure, he’s big in his home state of Texas and in the boxing community, with the occasional blip on the mainstream radar, but beyond that, Diaz is what he is – a solid fighter and a former world champion who can fill seats, but not someone the average Joe on the street knows. And hey, that’s the story for 99 percent of the fighters who fit that same description, but back in the 40s and 50s, and even in the sport’s last Golden Age in the 80s, people would have known who Juan Diaz was, mainly because he’s an honest fighter with a great story who puts on his hard hat and tries to rip your head off when the bell rings.

He puts it even more eloquently when he says, “when the people see me in the ring they see your regular, average Joe. I'm not one of those guys that has a six-pack, that has muscles all over my body…They see me, a Mexican-American, who came from illegal immigrants and has become a World Champion and has also achieved his college education, and then for a split second or for that night at least that they see me fighting in there, it's like I'm fighting for them. They see me in there, everything that I've accomplished and they know that whether it is them or their children, that if they fight or work hard enough that things are going to get better and that their lives can change and they can achieve the American dream.”

Today, that’s just not enough.

A visit to Diaz’ @1Babybull Twitter account will look like a typical 20-something’s page, complete with updates on video game conquests, watching Entourage, and hanging out with family. There are no wild afterparties, shoulder-straining pats on the back, namedropping, or LeBron-esque announcements. But if you’re looking for Diaz to be bitter, keep looking, because he’s been prepared for this day for a long time by a man who has been in his corner for nearly two decades, his first trainer and current manager Willie Savannah.

“He’s always preached to me school, school, school,” said Diaz. “And that boxing is not always what it's made out to be. You can see a lot of stars, like, for example, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Oscar De La Hoya, who make it to that great superstar status, but realistically, a lot of us boxers are never going to get there. We're never going to make it to the point that they've achieved and everything that they've done, so what I see and one of the things that has opened my mind as well has been school.”

In 2009, Diaz graduated from the University of Houston and is currently studying for his LSAT (Law School Aptitude Test) with the hopes of entering law school next year. He has deftly avoided the hanger-ons and entourages that come with a successful pro sports career as well, another testament to his adherence to the words of Savannah.

“I told him a long time ago that people are going to be whispering in your ear,” Savannah told me back in 2003. “They’ll tell you everything that they think you want to hear, and finally one day, they’ll click upon something that makes your ears stand up. I kept him away from most of those kinds of people in the first place, and not just them, but all kinds of negative people. If people start talking to you about negative stuff, just step away. Don’t even finish the conversation. I’ve had him since he was eight years old. I’m retired from the Union Pacific railroad; I’ve got my own living made. I want to do this just as a family type of thing.”

It’s worked, and Diaz is a shining example of what discipline can do for a young man, and taking the path he has also opened up a world outside the ring, one that will serve him well once the final bell tolls on his active career.

“There are so many things that I've learned in my years in college that can make me be a successful man outside of the ring, so it makes it interesting,” said Diaz. “I think that's what helps me to be, and what made me be the champion that I am is the fact that I never relied too much on boxing to have a better future. I always knew that there are a lot of possibilities out there in the world to be a successful person.”

One of those possibilities still exists in the prize ring this weekend. Superstar-status or not, Diaz is still one of the best 135-pounders in the world, and after back-to-back bouts fought above the lightweight limit, there is enough of a question about whether Diaz’ less than stellar performances in consecutive fights against Paulie Malignaggi had to do with him being above his optimum weight. Diaz and longtime trainer Ronnie Shields believe this to be the case.

“I'm 10 times more comfortable at 135 because at 140, the last fight we fought I came in weighing 139 and then the night of the fight I stepped on the scales with my shoes and my pants on and I was weighing 143,” said Diaz. “Fighting at 140, that's only two or three pounds that I gain, so do you see the difference here? By fighting lightweight I gain seven to eight pounds and you can tell that I'm a pretty big guy. I don't mean height wise, but at least my body, I'm a pretty solid 135. At 140 I'm not that solid.”

“We can't take away the victory that Paulie got (in the rematch) because he fought well and he really boxed well, but I think Juan's natural weight is 135 pounds and I think you're going to see him a lot stronger in this fight than you did in his last two,” said Shields.

Add in the fact that Diaz was winning the 2009 Fight of the Year against Marquez handily the first time around before the veteran from Mexico roared back and stopped the “Baby Bull” in the ninth round, and that Marquez - at 36 and coming off a one-sided loss to Floyd Mayweather last September - is more likely to grow old overnight than Diaz is, and there is enough reason for Diaz and his supporters to be confident of victory. And should he emerge victorious, he will regain the WBA and WBO lightweight belts, resurrect a sagging career, and get in line for some big money fights in 2011. Will that elusive ‘superstar’ tag then be his? Probably not, but that’s okay. Like I wrote earlier, 20 years from now, there will be more pressing matters on the desk of Mr. Juan Diaz, and you get the impression that he knows it too.

“I'm still a young fighter,” he said. “I'm 26-years-old. If my plan is to continue fighting after this fight then that's exactly what I'm going to do. If it's not the best decision when I sit down and talk to my family and my managers and my promoter, if that's not the best thing to do then I'm not going to be stubborn. I'm smart enough, like (Golden Boy Promotions CEO) Richard (Schaefer) said, I have a college degree; I'm smart enough to know that I'm not going to be chasing a dream that's not going to come true again. I know when it's time to go and I know when it's time to stop.”

The Welterweight Epitome
07-31-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm still wondering why this rematch is evening happening?

Marquez should have moved to 140, a lot of young fish to fry up there. If he leaves it too much longer, he will end up being the MAB against the likes of Kahn, a sad sight to see!

gregbeyer
07-31-2010, 09:45 PM
surprised this fight is not being covered here. i did not want to drop the 50.

greg

GorDoom
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Neither did the guys who normally cover fights for us. Can't ask them to spend dough on something we wouldn't.

GorDoom

gregbeyer
07-31-2010, 11:40 PM
that doesn't bode well for the promotion does it ?

greg

Dogman_Tony
08-01-2010, 12:52 AM
You could have asked me--I bought it. Actually a pretty good undercard go that showcased a real prospect at middle, Pirov, who KOed Danny Jacobs. Pirov's the best best-looking Russian I've yet seen, Great head and upper body movement.

I couldn't get behind Diaz's strategy for the fight, which seemed a guaranteed loser--he tried to outbox a great boxer. 117-111, 118-110, 116-112.

hagler04
08-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I caught the card at a Mexican restaurant.

Guerrero-Casamayor was what you'd expect, sleep-inducing.

However, Jacobs-Pirov was the best middleweight fight I've seen in years. Both fighters showed great toughness and solid skills, but Pirov was the stronger of the two. He has a great right hand. I've love to see him take on Pavlik or Martinez. Maybe he could even rid us of Sturm but Felix would never fight him.

The main event wasn't bad but didn't approach the action of the first fight. Diaz was competitive for the first 4 rounds by good quick counterpunching although he only won of those rounds. But after he got hurt a couple of times he let Marquez be the aggressor and the fight turned very one-sided. Diaz upped the aggression in the final two stanzas but JMM answered right back and it was too little too late. Diaz being a non-puncher had very few options . . when he was aggresive Marquez picked him apart, and when he was on the outside Marquez outsped and outjabbed him.

However, to me Diaz the last couple of years has looked more slown down with each fight. I think its time Diaz pursue the law degree full tilt. I predicted early on he'd burn out early with his high energy, high output style and it looks to be coming to pass. He used to be able to throw 100 punches per round but without that spark he's simple a come-forward light hitter with average defense.

The Welterweight Epitome
08-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Yeh agree with both comments DT and hags.

Pirov looked set with that win from round 1. Jacobs had a useless jab, no idea of the killzone, kept his left low and didn't role his shoulder, use angles or raise his left hand when the opponent was on the killzone.

Pirov obviously knew this from the get go, as it was his bread and butter punch from round 1, until he stopped him after only a few rounds! Think he could hang with any of these useless middles at the moment, though Martinez would be a good cagey fight, but can't see Sergio taking the risk on someone with no name.

Diaz had no chance in this fight, he showed what happens when he is the 'bull' last fight, and there ain't a way in the world he is hanging in a boxing match with JMM. I thought it was 118-110. A boxing exhibition for Marquez, far easier than the first fight for him and again prooving he is a boxing legend! Such a subtle, subtle fighter with a sublime boxing brain!

Dogman_Tony
08-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Agree. I18-110, and I wouldn't have quarreled with !19-109. It's always such a joy to watch JMM work.

Pirov is a great-looking fighter. He poses a little too much, and I think that Jacobs was shocked by what was in front of him, ill-prepared for Pirov's speed and elusiveness; but there was nonetheless not much doubt where the quality in he fight lay. Just hope Pirov doesn't hide out In Europe for the remainder of his career. He's a really talented guy I'd like to see a lot more of. The shame of the fight was that this was for Martinez' belt that the WBO took away.

Can you believe that Mosely-Mora is going to be PPV? Unless Mosely loses it overnight, this should be a walk in the park for him. Mora has no weapons that will work against Mosely. I buy everything, and I'm not buying that one.

The Welterweight Epitome
08-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeh, I imagine we will be seeing a lot more of Pirov, he appears to have captured a few fans with that performance amongst a lot of boxing communities!

Agree, I wouldn't have quarreled with 119-109 either, I actually laughed at the 116-112 scoreline.....!

I'm also the same, I have watched nearly every single Mosley fight in the professional ranks, and many of his amateur bouts, but I won't be watching this one live, terrible move by Mosley!

kikibalt
08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Juan Manuel Marquez Beats Juan Diaz by Unanimous Decision

By Lem Satterfield

LAS VEGAS -- Juan Manuel Marquez is considered Mexico's No. 1 fighter, even as he turns 37 years old next month.

Marquez was coming off of September's one-sided unanimous decision loss to Floyd Mayweather at welterweight (147 pounds).

And on Saturday night, in an HBO pay per view televised main event from the Mandalay Bay Hotel, Marquez faced a man in Juan Diaz who is 10 years younger at the age of 26, and who took him to the brink of a loss before being knocked out in the ninth round of February's 2009 Fight of the Year.

But in front of an announced crowd of 8,383 that was largely partisan to Marquez, the man from Mexico City defied his age yet again.

Marquez outfoxed the younger dog once again by unanimous decision in defense of his WBO and WBA lightweight (135 pounds) crowns, improving to 51-5-1, with 37 knockouts.

Diaz slipped to 35-4, with 17 KOs, losing for the fourth time in his past six fights.

Judge Jerry Roth had it 116-112, Patricia Morse Jarman 117-111 and Glenn Trowbridge 118-110, all for Marquez. FanHouse had it 118-110, for Marquez.

"The first fight was difficult, but this was too. He's a great fighter and has a good technique, but I was the better fighter tonight. He's a very good boxer," said Marquez. "Like every Mexican warrior, we fought with our hearts and left it all in the ring."

A five-time champion over three weight classes, Marquez now has plenty of options.

Marquez could pursue a status as the first Mexican fighter to win a fourth crown in as many weight classes by going after WBA junior welterweight (140 pounds) king Amir Khan (23-1, 17 KOs), who watched from ringside.

Marquez could chase a third bout with seven-division champ and present WBO welterweight titlist, Manny Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs), against whom he has battled to a draw and lost a disputed split-decision.

Or Marquez could face Australia's Michael Katsidis (27-2, 22 KOs), who wears the WBO's interim belt, making him the mandatory challenger to the winner of Marquez-Diaz.

But Marquez wants a third fight with Manny Pacquiao, against whom he has drawn and lost a disputed decision.

"The trilogy is what I want. Manny Pacquiao is who I want. Everyone wants to see it. It's a good fight for all fight fans -- for the Mexicans and the Filipinos," said Marquez. "That's the most important fight to me now. I'll be ready for November and hopefully, Pacquiao will take the fight."

Diaz was coming off of December's lopsided, unanimous decision loss to light-hitting Paulie Malignaggi (27-4, five KOs), who nevertheless staggered Diaz at one point during their fight.

In victory, Malignaggi avenged a disputed unanimous decision loss before Diaz's hometown fans in Houston.

"I fought the best fight that I could. We were trading punches. We fought in and we fought out. I didn't stand in front of him. I wanted to get in there and then get out. It was hard, and I got hit with a couple of good shots. The goal was to go in, get combinations, step around, and step out," said Diaz.

"I did the best that I could. I followed the game plan, I worked off of my jab and it was a very tough fight. He's a great fighter and he was the better man tonight," said Diaz.

Diaz was out-landed, 288-155, overall, 120-to-81 in jabs, and, 168-to-74 in power punches.

An aspiring attorney who was once an undisputed lightweight champion, Diaz said that he will take some time off to decide his future.

"I don't know what I'm going to do next. I'll consider all of the facts. I'm going to take the LSAT (law school admission test) and that's another fact. I've been fighting for 10 years, longer than a lot of fighters. So I'll have to figure it out and see what I'm going to do," said Diaz. "I'm not going to sit here and say that I'm not going to fight again or not."

diggity
08-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Was the Bika-Mendy fight part of this card? Its a shame what happened in that fight. I was looking forward to a good fight but in in the end it seemed Bika was going to be a bit too strong anyway.

I think Jacobs was hoping for a much more cooperative opponent and was a bit lost as well as shell-shocked when he realized what he was really up against. I think he can still do good things but Pirov looks as if he could shake things up out there almost immediately. He has a lot going for him & seemed to be in incredible shape.

I thought we were in for a devastating, early win for Guerrero but I think Casa either stunned or frustrated him, or maybe a combination of both as he seemed content to pace himself and slow the fight down. This was a shame because the fight was there for Robert when he stepped on the gas. He looked about the strongest he has ever looked in the first 2 rounds & the last thing he wanted was for Casa to get warmed up and comfortable. Big mistake. Credit to Casa at 40 to make this a fight & even score a KD at the end, but this was a pretty disappointing win for the Ghost.

It was nice to see JMM back to his typical aggressive & surgical precision at this weight. I can't get enough of his signature left uppercut, straight right combos. Another fight where he made things even harder than they had to be just to keep things moving. Good stuff.

Diaz is a tough, tough kid. He took his career very far for someone that young, with that style and most of all with his eye on a career outside of boxing. It was only when he was deep in his toughest fights that you saw he would never be a career boxer. He has nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever.

I agree that Mosley should win easily unless he gets old overnight. He may even wear him down & KO him since I doubt Mora can keep him away.

PeterD
08-14-2010, 11:35 PM
I talked to Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday and got the list of purses for the main fights on Saturday's card. Here you go: Marquez ($1 million), Diaz ($540,000), Daniel Jacobs ($200,000), Dmitry Pirog ($50,000), Robert Guerrero ($75,000), Joel Casamayor ($50,000), Linares ($30,000), Juarez ($45,000), Sakio Bika ($18,000) and Jean Paul Mendy ($12,000). Keep in mind these are the official purses as per the Nevada bout agreements, but it is common for other revenue to be paid through other streams.
Is this normal amounts of money for PPV fights outside of the Mayweathers/Pacquaio's? Seeing people like Casamayor, Guerrero, Linares and Jaurez getting small amounts like that is shocking to me. I would have thought there was a 0 missing at the end of each amount.