PDA

View Full Version : Finisher!!!

walsh b
02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Who in your opinion were the top 3 finishers in boxing history.....I'd rate Ray Leonard as the best, closely followed by Robinson and a peak Tyson. I don't necessarily mean a one punch scenario, just who when they had their opponent hurt, could close the show:D

TKO11
02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Joe Louis has to be #1 IMO. Once he had you hurt, he never let you off the hook.

kikibalt
02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Finisher!!!! , Joe Louis, you are so right TKO11

Frank B.

Sharkey
02-06-2006, 01:44 PM
cosign with Louis.

hawk5ins
02-06-2006, 02:04 PM
As great a finisher as SRL was, the difference between he and Louis is that Joe would never have let Hearns out of either the 6th or 7th round, as badly as Tommy was hurt.

I still remember in the rematch when Ray was trying to explain what was different this time around, Ray said: "I couldn't finish Tommy. Something just wasn't there this time. Everytime I have had a fighter hurt inthe past, I would finish them and I could not do that this time." And the first thing that came to my mind was the 6th and 7th rounds of the first fight.

Now don't misunderstand me here: I think Ray is an all time great fighter and IMO a greater fighter than Louis. But Joe was a much superior finisher to Leonard.

Joe was just automatic when he had you hurt. You did NOT get through it.

StingerKarl
02-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Joe Louis

PeteLeo
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Who escaped Foreman once he had them in dire straits? Check out Jimmy Young in the seventh round of their match (there's always one).

Also, "the ref-induced escape of Marciano" against Moore -- come on, man, you don't subscribe to that old canard, do you? The films show that Rocky was down for no more than a "four" count and, contrary to what Archie claimed for the rest of his life, the official did not give Marciano a full eight count. Once the gloves were wiped, the bout was waved on again and Archie missed his million dollar opportunity by not being able to finish it then and there. He landed a good shot, Rocky stuttered but took it, and then Marciano beat the ever-loving hell out of him. PeteLeo.

Sharkey
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
No I don't, Pete...I should have, but did not, put the quotation marks around that comment.

The allegation on Moore's behalf would seem to have added more drama to an already dramatic fight...the ultimate 'big fish story'.

Marciano would be the obvious call of a case where Archie didn't finish, which is why I mentioned it was, after all, Marciano that Moore was tackling and trying to 'finish'....not your average opponent.

Sharkey
02-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I'd include Arcie Moore and a fighter to be named later in that 'top 3' at least for discussion purposes.

Whatever one says about whether Moore was a power-hitter or hitter with impeccable accuracy, his record shows him to be the premier KO artist of all-time.

The ref-induced Marciano escape notwithstanding (and that it was Marciano, and not Joe Shmoe), Moore has to be in any conversation.

Foreman as well....who escaped Foreman once in dire straits?

The thing about this would be that it may be hard to distinguish finishing 'ability' from simple KO power.

Kid Achilles
02-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Joe Louis of course. I don't know if I can think of an occassion where a prime Louis had a seriously hurt opponent in front of him and didn't seal the deal. Greatest finisher P4P IMO.

Hagler04
02-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Boring response but totally agree with Louis. Just re-watched the Galento fight. In that 5th round, Galento's face changes after getting hit flush with a right and Joe turns from cautious counter-puncher to offensive juggernaut . . .fastest right cross in history . . .he's up there with Robinson and co. in terms of handspeed.

Tyson I disagree . . .relentless finisher, right mentality, but not incredibly accurate

Robinson is up there, Hagler has to be up there,

Def. Aaron Pryor as well.

Ted Spoon
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Hagler, you mean the 4th round. Galento had his lip and tongue severed, nice.

Louis was what he was because of who he was with:

Whenever he got back to the corner after a good round it was not: "Oh yeah baby!, you got him next round!" He was greeted with a calm Jack Blackburn who carefully told Joe what he should be doing, and what he should be looking out for.

Louis was cooler than a cucumber in the ring. Always composed -- hence why he was never off the mark due to eagerness. He was like a robot -- he did his duty efficiently n' with no emotion. When floored, it was back up, and back to his boxing. He could not be rattled.

Fight's followed a pattern; He would jab, stalk, counter and then it would be over. It mattered not whether it was the 1st or last round, he was a calculating boxer with piston-like combo's that would find their mark in good time.

Louis is a hard act to follow.

Dempsey qualifies as great finisher. Not of Louis' mindset, but he overwhelmed with speed, power, and variety. Nobody was more ferocious on the inside.

Archie Moore? Yes, please. If he made a dent he would make a hole. As previously mentioned there was a reason why he was the KO King -- he did not let you off the hook.

Marcel Cerdan, powerful in every sense of the word. He could open up, but stayed composed. Lethal counter puncher.

Sandy Saddler. Dirty inside fighter -- a pure throwback, but it was all part of destroying his opponent. His KO record demonstrates his ability to finish the job.

Gomez and Zarate were overwhelming juggernauts. Not always the most effective, ala Gomez/Pintor, but those power shots and that intensity never went away, which made for some effective finishers.

Thomas Hearnís. Always hoping for a KO, and like a shark, when he smelt blood he was a dangerous man.

thumper3852
02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Another great finisher that comes to mind was Bob Foster. I'll never forget the look of fear on Andy Kendall's face as Foster moved in for the "kill"...............

mike21
02-06-2006, 04:39 PM
everybody who fought him agreed on that louis was the great finisher- a cold blooded killer. that was one scary dude if you see films of him during the weigh ins. his game face on -and absoultely the coldest and most frightening countence since who knows when- he was a very, very scary man. man what a cool, frightening customer.

HEGrant
02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Dempsey was pretty nasty...Tunney 2 excluded...

Of course Louis was brutal.

Tyson was an animal.

fabulous4
02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
All from fabulous 4 were great finishers.

Leonard, Duran, Hearns. All had good killer instinct, Leonard had upperhand in skills, combinations, smartness, Duran in ferocity, Hearns in power. Hagler was accumulative puncher, great conditioning, tough, he would break you with time.

Tyson definitely, Pryor also.

walsh b
02-07-2006, 06:16 AM
I don't know how I forgot Louis. He was superb because he was so damn accurate. One of the best finishes I saw was Foreman V Cooney, he really did a number on Cooney. Any thoughts on Gerald McClellan?. I always thought he was amazing when he had a fighter hurt (V Jackson)

robertk
02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
This is a topic I love since I put far more emphasis on this skill than power. It ties into the topic of opportunist as well, since it may be a brief window when the opportunity presents itself for the stoppage===timing.

A guy like muhammad Ali wasn't the biggest puncher around but he sure knew what to do to get a guy out of there. He sure didn't wait to get back to the corner to get advice from angelo dundee. And how he could exploit say, a cut or a physical weakness. The only guy that got off the hook with a cut was bugner and it was so hard to believe. But when Ali got a guy like foreman or bonevena or lyle or lots of others hurt, the bout was over. Not 4 rounds later. That round or the next.

Sugar Ray Leonard was another guy that knew how to finish.

walsh b
02-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes Ali against Cooper was amazing, after being floored he went out and did a number on Henry because of the 'prediction' he had made. I agree that I was more emphasising the skill level of the finishing as opposed to the brute power or KO. Leonard to me seemed to have the ability to follow up so fast with rapid fire combos. His great footwork and ability to stay within firing range were amazing. I'll never forget when in Rd 13 he stunned Tommy with the 1-2 combo and then threw a burst of about 20 punches, superb. For a fighter with a hard punch but not devestating, he sure could finish. Robinson was the same, the ability to put together fast hard combos at ease. Footwork has to be very good for these clinical finishes

Mr E
02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Hard to go against Louis, but I'd make Dempsey a close 2nd.

Monzon & Duran were both great finishers too.

greek1237
02-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Louis of couse.
Dempsey is other.
Ray Robinson 2.
Tyson.
Marciano was other great finisher. He needed that ko over Charles the 2nd time around, and he got it.

I add Moore in 2.

I counted 4 TOTAL vs Marciano Moore. The ref did not give Marciano a standed 8 count, Back in the 1920's it was common to let the fight go the movement the fighter gets up. But by the 1950's, the ref had to wipe the gloves off a down fighter. I saw nothing wrong, with the Marciano Moore knockdown. And outside of the knockdown in round 2, it was not relly a drama type of fight, but a one sided beating. I think I gave Moore 2, maybe 3 rounds tops in that fight. pretty one sided.

Of couse I can add in Jack Johnson, he can finshing a guy if he WANTED to, when Johnson had him hurt.

pendleton23
02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Aaron Pryor was a great finisher.So was Ray Leonard.