PDA

View Full Version : Bob Foster vs the Heavyweights

pendleton23
01-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I often wonder was Bob at least competive at all when he fought at heavyweight?I just cant imagine him being competive with Terrell who had a huge edge in reach and height not to mention weight.

Steve McV
01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Competitive? Not that I remember... lost to big-name heavies.

Might have been interesting if there had been a cruiserweight division back then, though. God knows Foster had a tremendous punch for a light heavy. Maybe he would have been able to beat smaller heavies.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how he would have done against, say, Jerry Quarry.

Anybody remember offhand if Jerry weighed in under 195? As I recall, he wasn't a big heavyweight, but hell, it's been decades...

gregbeyer
01-29-2006, 07:27 PM
jerry's best weight was right around 198-200 lbs.

after foster ko'd his brother mike there was brief talk of such a fight and jerry seemed to want it bad. foster never responded.
greg

TKO Tom
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
In my opinion, Bob Foster is the second best Light Heavyweight to have ever lived - second to Archie Moore.

Foster was a tremendous fighter and a tremendous puncher. A tall Light Heavyweight at 6'3" tall. Foster didn't have it back then against arguably the greatest generation of heavyweights that ever lived. But is that a fault?

Certainly had he fought in this day and age, I have absolutely no reservation in saying that he would be Light Heavyweight, Cruiserweight and Heavyweight Champion simultaneously.

He'd beat Antonio Tarver, O'Neill Bell and whoever you want to call Heavyweight Champion all in the same night.

:hat

HEGrant
01-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Didn't Foster lose to Doug Jones, another light heavy, by KO ?

I think Foster flattens Moore.

TKO Tom
01-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes, Bobby did lost to Doug Jones - by knockout - in 1962. It was Foster's tenth pro fight and Jones' twenty-fourth pro fight. Jones had been a pro for four years, Foster for 18 months. Jones had been routinely fighting heavyweights by this point.

Jones was a rough, tough SOB and he gave Muhammad Ali all he could handle (and then some) only five months after he beat the "green" Foster.

Foster was a late substitute for an ailing Zora Folley. It was a total mismatch and Foster should never have taken that fight.

HEGrant
01-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Sounds about right. I am a huge fan of Foster at light heavy..I really don't know anyone I'd favor over him...Archie Moore would have been crafty but if Foster caught himit would have been lights out...Foster had such huge physical advantages...a cobra and a mongoose...

TKO Tom
01-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm a big fan of Foster as well. I met him at the IBHoF and since then I've been a a disciple.

I think Moorer was a better fighter. Foster obviously had the bigger one punch. Both in their primes would have been a helluva thing to see.

StingerKarl
01-30-2006, 02:04 AM
I have Bob Foster as the Best Light Heavyweight Ever.
Karl

neellik
01-30-2006, 07:31 AM
I think Ezzard Charles is the best light heavyweight of all time. He cleaned out the division but never had the chance to fight for the title. Charles would be too quick for Foster, winning by decision or late round stoppage!

Austin

wildhawke11
01-30-2006, 03:16 PM
I also have Charles as my number one to me he could do it all.

Steve McV
01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I think a round-robin with Foster, Moore, and Charles would be a toss-up just about every time.

A question from my veering mind; does anybody rate Mike Spinks among the greatest light heavies? I'm impressed with the guy's record at light heavy, but when I watch him... I just don't know. He seemed... hell, how can I put this? I keep thinking, if he had a little more speed (but he wasn't slow), if he had a little more power (but he was a good hitter for a light heavy), if he just didn't seem so damned awkward at times (but he was a skilled boxer!).

Heck, if he confuses me, he must have confused the hell out of the guys facing him.

Besides, his record stands and needs no apologies. So Tyson knocked him out? Big friggin' deal! Louis KO'd Conn; does that erase the fact that Billy fought a great fight up to that point, and remains one of the greatest light-heavies ever?

I think PSinks was one of the greats at light heavy. But do you think we could hold his own with Foster, Moore, Charles?

HEGrant
01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Didn't Charles beat Moore three out of three or four out of four...I see no round robin there.

Foster did not beat one heavyweight. I see Charles beating him as well. Too quick and overall skilled.

TKO11
01-31-2006, 03:08 AM
Ezzard beat Moore 3 of 3 including a clean KO, but from what I understand there's more to it than that. One of the two decisions was a back and forth battle that saw both men badly hurt and on the verge of KO and was very close in the scoring. In their third fight, Archie apparently was scoring heavily and leading in the scoring when Ezzard turned the tables with a big shot Archie never recovered from.

This is, of course, second-hand information that I read some time ago. Since I cannot recall the source I also can't verify the veracity of the report.