PDA

View Full Version : Help on boxer nationalities

dnahar
09-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I am compiling a list of past boxing champions and HOFs and one of the facts that I am trying to compile are the nationalities and backgrounds of the fighters (ie Irish-American, German-American, etc). I need nationalities of the following four fighters:

Charles (Kid) McCoy -- Middleweight Champ
James (Rube) Ferns -- Welterweight Champ
Bud Taylor -- Bantamweight Champ
Young Stribling -- Perennial Contender

Any help on any of these would be much appreciated and beneficial to my lists. Thank you.

-KOKid-
09-09-2010, 03:58 AM
Kid McCoy:
According to the book "The Real McCoy" by Robert Cantwell (1971), McCoy's parents were callend Francis Marion Selby and Mary Campbell.

I believe Campbell is a Scottish or irish name, so his mother would probably have been of Scottish or Irish heritage.

The name Selby is supposedly English.
The book also reveals that McCoy's grandfather was a schoolteacher in the Moscow, Indiana, and that there have been people by the name of Selby in southeastern Indiana since 1820, having moved there from Kentucky.

I would think that McCoy's father's side of the familiy would have been in the US for at least two or three generations before McCoy was born in 1873.

Young Stribling:
I might be on thin ice here, but I think I read somewhere that the Stribling name was and Americanized version of "Striblinsky", which sounds Polish.
Stribling's mother was called Lily Mae Braswell.
There is a town in Georgia called Braswell.

The other two I cannot give you any info on other than what is well known.

Sharkey
09-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Interesting. I always assumed 'Stribling' was an English surname. Maybe not huh..?

dnahar
09-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.