PDA

View Full Version : Albert Davila

pendleton23
08-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I have never seen him box but I have read a couple of posts on this board saying great things about him.What kind of style did he have? Some people make it sound like he was the second coming of Benitez.Was he that good?

olympic auditorium
08-06-2005, 09:36 PM
One of the purest boxers youll ever see .He was actually giving Zarate all he could handle.

pendleton23
08-06-2005, 09:40 PM
What was his styler like?I'm thinking about getting some bouts with him.I see he lost to Gomez.Did you see that bout?

starlingstomp
08-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Being a brit, i'm no expert on him as i only got to see him in his world title fights(plus Gomez and one or two others).I always enjoyed watching him fight when i got the chance, though.

His style was absolutely textbook.I don't think he really had any flaws technically, but against guys like Gomez and Zarate he was badly outgunned.

I wouldn't compare him to Benitez, who was much more athletic and safety-first.

Get Davila's second fight with Pintor.One of the best bantamweight fights ever.

Chuck1052
08-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Let me say that Albert Davila was far from being the
best bantamweight of his day. For one thing, he
was short, lacked punching power, and had a
tendency to lose some decisions because he
wasn't aggressive enough.

In my opinion, one had to see Davila fight a
number of times to fully appreciate his boxing
skills due to the fact he wasn't flashy. In
fact, Davila had a very orthodox style.

What made Davila such a terrific boxer? I think the
reason is that he knew what he was doing every
moment and had the ability to carry his plans out.
Moreover, he seemed to know exactly what punch
to throw at a given time.

Davila didn't use in the way of footwork, so he
stood in front of his opponent much of the time.
Yet Davila was very hard to hit because he
blocked and slipped punches well.

Wilfredo Benitez was a teenage prodigy with
seemly inate boxing skills and a world of talent.
Moreover, Benitez had some flashy moves and
underrated punching power. In other words,
his boxing style was not that similar to Alberto
Davila's.

I don't know if I have described Davila's boxing
style well. But I will say that Davila was one
of the best pure boxers of his day. Among the
great fighters of the 1970s, Miguel Canto stands
out as a pure boxer. But unlike Davila, Canto
had some flashy moves and fancy footwork.

- Chuck Johnston

StingerKarl
08-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Tweety was a wonderful fighter and an outstanding ringman.
What fluid and rhythmic movement he had.
He was a sharp and beautiful counterpuncher who was robbed in his title try against Jorge Lujan and rematch vs Frankie Duarte.
A very pretty style-threw all of his shots out of his boxing stance and was always on balance and in postion to set up his next shots.
Outstanding boxer-puncher and one of the best of his era.
Karl

Chuck1052
08-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Karl- I was at the Forum when Alberto Davila fought
Frankie Duarte for the second time. Davila took
Duarte apart before losing by TKO due to a
cut on an eye. Of course, Duarte was an
action fighter who was easy to hit and
Davila had too much skill for him.

- Chuck Johnston

StingerKarl
08-07-2005, 02:49 AM
I hear ya, Chuck.
But that fight was wrong the way it ended.
I beat a guy that the Great Miguel Canto fought-Orlando Javierto in 1981 in Guam.
He joined the Marines and was stationed in his home country of the Phillipnes.
He was about 140 then and whiskey and beer fat.
Slow and predicable-I was fortunate to cop a decision over him at the Naval NCS in Agana.
They tried to stick a ringer on me-but the guy wasn't that good to begin with.
Karl

Chuck1052
08-07-2005, 06:03 AM
Karl- I saw Miguel Canto outbox Orlando Javierto
in person at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles.
Despite Canto's great skill, the reaction from
the crowd was "ho-hum." They like action
fighters in L.A.

= Chuck Johnston

beddows
08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
A pure boxing machine, who really deserved a world title and who was treated unfairly by the powers that be when he sustained a serious back injury humping beer crates (yes, he still worked as a champion) and was forced to relinquish while he underwent an operation.
Not much power, but his skill and conditioning enabled him to outlast many opponents.

gregbeyer
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
i saw alberto davila from amateur to his last pro fights.

it is true that al lacked power but he got the most out of what he had. stopping frankie duarte was no mean feat. frankie said latter that he had stood up to guys that hit a ton but al just caught him so clean. the death of kiko bejines also shows that al could be dangerous...obviously.

any fighter on the shortish side needs to watch how al could so often out jab taller men. his fights would make a great training film. he was only 5'2" but beat many bigger guys.

my dream blend of two fighters was to mix als style with stablemate danny lopez's power...nobody could have stood up to that.
greg

beddows
08-07-2005, 07:02 PM
What's Al doing nowadays, Greg?

gregbeyer
08-07-2005, 07:36 PM
i am really not sure as i now live in washington state. he once drove a beer truck between comebacks.

he was a great trainer but maybe a little too demanding for todays fighter. one of his favorite lines was that " a fighter may get beaten by better fighter by not by himself" i always thought that described well both davila and lopez.

i would love to hear how he is doing and what he is up to as he was one my favorites.
greg

Dan Hanley
08-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Starling, I agree 100% with what you said about the Davila-Pintor title fight. 15 rounds of pure breathtaking speed and let's not forget that Davila almost dropped Pintor in the 3rd round. Also seemingly forgotten is Davila's win over a still hot Rodolfo Martinez. And I believe Martinez was coming off a 7 round KO of Mike Ayala when Davila stopped him in 7. Corect me if I'm wrong on that one, but those two fights happened very close to one another. Anyways, Davila was damn good.

Dan

StingerKarl
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Davila was training fighters and driving a beer truck last I heard.
Karl

kikibalt
08-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Albert Davila was a pure boxer, not much of a puncher, but man what a joy to watch, last time i seen Albert was in 1992 he was working the corner of a guy that was fighting my son Frankie at the Marriott in Irvine Calif.

Frank B.

Chuck1052
08-09-2005, 04:03 AM
I thought that Alberto Davila could wear a top
hat and coat tails in the ring without being out
of place. He was such a beautiful fighter.

- Chuck Johnston

StingerKarl
08-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Davila could have gone on without a doubt.
It was stopped way too soon and Albert had done a job on him the first part of the fight-almost dropping the guy.
I only saw it live; but from what I recall he decked Davila and Davila got up and the fight was stopped. But Zarate would have won anyways as he was too big and powerful for Tweety and was starting to take over.
Karl

beddows
08-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Zarate was one strong bantamweight. He literally walked through Zamora in the legendary battle of the Z-men, and was threatening to do the same to Gomez when he got caught against the run of play (I seem to recall British referee Harry Gibbs losing control of that one). As for Davila, what a warrior! When he defended his WBC bantamweight title against Enrique Sanchez in Miami in 1984, it was said Alberto was stuggling till a heavy rainfall rejuvenated him (the fight was held outdoors), and he stopped the challenger late on. But the reality was, Davila was always in great shape and would have finished strongly, rain or no rain.

beddows
08-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Was the stoppage loss to Zarate a genuine stoppage or on cuts?

olympic auditorium
08-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Don't forget Davila beat Pintor in a 10 rounder when Pintor was undefeated.I've been looking for that fight if anyone has any leads.

Chuck1052
08-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I saw Alberto Davila in his first bout with Lupe
Pintor at the Forum in Inglewood. Pintor threw
alot of wide punches, which meant that Davila
outboxed him easily.

- Chuck Johnston

erin99
10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I spoke to Alberto earlier this year, in relation to a book I'm doing on Johnny Owen & Lupe Pintor. Some of you may remember Albert was involved in a tragic fight against Kiko Bejines, thus linking him with Pintor and Owen, not to mention the fact he also fought Lupe twice.

Anyway, he was very kind, humble and helpful, working as a maintenance man for an air conditioning firm, still married to his high school sweetheart, still slightly aggrieved by what he saw as bad/bent decisions in his career and the seedy side of boxing. He worked with Marty Denkin, the referee, at a gym in LA for a while. And he still says he would let his sons box.

By the way, if anyone is interested, my book, The Big If, will be out in Spring, published by Macmillan and available on Amazon.

Cheers - Rick Broadbent, Sports writer, The Times.

gregbeyer
10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
al went thru some grievous times. tough fights, set backs, injury,the bejines death, the murder of his manager howie steindler. i am glad to hear he is doing ok. if he is a little bitter it is understandable. al always did his best and probably expected that from others as well.
greg

kikibalt
10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Albert Davila is one hell of a nice guy,
i could't say anything bad about the guy

Frank B.

kikibalt
10-10-2005, 07:34 PM
http://tinypic.com/ehf61y.jpg

kikibalt
12-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Bobby Rizo, he won the NAT. AAU JR. Olympic's , 1976
he is Albert Davila brother in lawhttp://tinypic.com/ipqjwo.jpg

apollack
12-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Davila was just a solid guy, but a good veteran.

He was stopped by Zarate and Gomez. I believe those fights are available on video. I think I have the Gomez fight.

The fight I most remember was his last decision loss to Miguel Lora. Davila fought pretty well for being past his prime, and I think they were putting something in Lora's water. There was some mild controversy about that at the time. I thought it was despicable for a young champ to feel the need to do that in order to win against a guy who had seen his better days.