PDA

View Full Version : Salvador Sanchez - Azumah Nelson

ERICB
12-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Those two fought in New York not too long before Sanchez's car wreck. Wasn't that Sanchez's toughest fight as a featherweight? I believe the Nelson might have been ahead on points when he was stopped.

starlingstomp
12-02-2005, 06:29 PM
The fight with Patrick Ford was just as close in terms of scoring IMO.However, that fight was a chessmatch and certainly not as brutal as the Nelson bout.

kikibalt
12-02-2005, 06:30 PM
We were offered a fight for my son Frankie with Nelson in Ghana before Nelson ever fought in the U.S., we did't take the fight b/c the money was't right, and they won't fight Frankie in the city of angels

Frank B.

TKO11
12-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I had Sanchez ahead by two at the stoppage, and he had been coming on strong as Nelson faded. I honestly don't think he took a rookie like Nelson as a serious threat and came into the ring inadequately prepared. And yes, Nelson was his toughest fight as champ. He had a few close decisions, a split and a majority decision, but in neither fight did the scoring make much sense to me. I had him winning each comfortably.

kikibalt
12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
TKO11 is right imo, an Sanchez also had a draw before he won the title with Juan Escobar a fight that i seen live

Frank B.

gregbeyer
12-02-2005, 07:37 PM
that was a good fight and it was going to be a close one if sal did not stop him. i saw sal fight nico perez at the olympic in a tune up for gomez. sal just did enough to win against perez whom i thought he could have creamed anytime he wanted to.

i have always believed that after lopez sal started to backslide in his training. he was obviously not prepared for the struggle waged by the professor that nite. to die the way he did lends credence to the fact that sal was becoming more party prone as champion. his next few fights may have shown more decline but unfortunately sal paid a dear price very early.
greg

gregbeyer
12-02-2005, 11:29 PM
frank,
what did they offer? where they paying training and travel expenses for the whole corner?
greg

kikibalt
12-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Greg
They offer $ 8,000 for the fight, $2,000 training expenses, travel, meals and rooms for 3 people, i wanted $20,000 for the fight , i was o.k with the expenses , then they said they could go $ 12,000 , i said no an told 'm if that was the best they could do then we did't have any think more to talk about

Frank B.

gregbeyer
12-03-2005, 06:16 AM
thanx frank,
it is interesting to hear the figures. that would have been a long way to go for 12k.
greg

apollack
12-05-2005, 04:28 AM
I saw a different fight than you guys. I think Azumah was tough, durable, and talented, but very green. I thought Sanchez was pretty much in control of that fight. After all, Azumah only had something like 13 pro fights, most of which were in Ghana. He was tough and put up a good fight, but at that point, was not on Sal's level. I saw the knockout as an inevitable result of Sal's gradually breaking a tough guy down.

Sal had a number of much closer and more controversial decisions, particularly the aforementioned Ford fight, as well as the bout with Ruben Castillo.

blv30
12-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Being that Salvador was slacking off in training, would anyone have given Juan Laporte a good chance of winning the rematch had it happened?

HEGrant
12-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Sanchez was a huge favorite going in...Nelson was almost unknown at the time...highly inexperienced. He surprised all by giving Sanchez as tough a fight as he did...I feel at his best Nelson beats him.