PDA

View Full Version : edgar-maynard

Dogman_Tony
01-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Hell of a fight. I thought Edgar might have edged it out a la Marquez-Pacquiao, but a draw works for me. I wonder what this does for the Pettis-Edgar match-up.

I also thought Nick Diaz clearly won his fight over Stun Gun.

Working with Greg Jackson must do wonders. Haven't seen Leben take a beating like that before. Stann's a pretty dangerous dude. He needs work, but he might be capable of working his way into contention, though I doubt he'll ever be an elite fighter.

Nice to see Guida win--Gomi's toast, I'm afraid.

Off The River
01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Agreed with Edgar, I thought he could have edged it, but I think the draw was probably fair. What a tough scrappy kid!

I had Kim winning the first two rouds agianst Diaz. He took him down repeatedly and controlled the action while on the ground. Diaz easily won round three, but I don't see what he did in the first two to warrant a win. Kim needs to do some stand up work.

I was surprised at how quick Stann's KO was over Leben, Classy guy too.

Good card with a great Main event!

Dogman_Tony
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, who have thunk Edgar-Maynard would have made a great fight.

I would have never suspected Stann could have done that to Leben--I saw his WEC fights and I thought he was big ham sandwich. But like I said, Jackson has improved his game.

The Welterweight Epitome
01-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Man, I thought Edgar may have edged it, but a draw works for me too. Funny everyone expected a wrestling match and we got a stand up war. I kind of expected Edgar to hold his own in the wrestling after seeing him toss Penn around, but his transitions are what got the job done for the TDs.

I hope there is a rematch because I truly believe Edgar is the better, all-around fighter and I want him to put Maynard in his place.

I also thought Diaz won, he was going for submissions and working from his back all fight, wheras Kim was just lying on him, I guess back to the point of wrestling being scored higher than fighting. :(

JaKob
01-03-2011, 02:30 AM
although edgar no doubt respects gray as a fighter, i think he initially gave far too little regard to his striking. And grays striking has come a long way. He never had a chance to adjust in the first round. Paid the price immediately!. When he did, even with the damage incurred, his all round superiority did indeed shine. Too little too late for a win. I scored it a draw. Would definately pick frankie in the next fight if it takes place.

Definately had kim winning. Far too dominant in the first 2 rounds with his grappling and Take downs. Kim was demonstrating a greater level of effective control. I can respect the workrate of diaz, but he simply wasn't being effective. His BJJ was nullified by kims posture, leverage, and strength.

Off The River
01-03-2011, 03:44 AM
Funny, Jakob and I are on the same page when it comes to grappling. Kim took him down, controlled him and attempted his own submissions. It was Diaz on the defensvive in those two rounds and Kim was landing the more exciting blows.

Kim has good balance when grappling, but terrible balance boxing-wise, which is a shame, because there are plenty of good boxing gyms in Korea to take advantage of his shitty standup.