PDA

View Full Version : YAMA BAHAMA

GorDoom
10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi
My Husband and I are friends of Yama Bahama (William Butler) and are trying to help him find videos or footage of his fights that he no longer has in his collection due to a flood that occured some time back. We were wondering if you might have any fight videos or footage of Yama , what so ever. Please let me know of anything you might have or anywhere you think we could find even clips of his fights. We would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks. Sincerely, Jan & Tommy Zito

Entertainer Tommy Zito
Jan Zito (Mgr.)
91 C Pond Rd
Northampton, PA. 18067
jtzito2001@aol.com
www.tommyzito.com (http://www.tommyzito.com)

Ronald Lipton
10-05-2005, 01:26 AM
When I was Emile's sparring partner at the Solar Gym and at Gleasons and the Old Garden Basement, I remember many of the sparring sessions Emile had with Yama Bahama.

He was beautiful to watch, tough as they come and was always in shape. He was one of Emile's favorites.
I always liked him too.

kikibalt
10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Yama Bahama a name from the past, is't it beautiful
the way these names from the past keep popping up?
i love it

Frank B.

StingerKarl
10-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Some years back on one of the Norberto Longo tv shows-Our Champions-they had the fight of him getting ko'd by Luis Rodriguez.

bradpark2
10-06-2005, 12:32 AM
i do know of someone that has the following fights:

W10 vs. Rudell Stich (complete)
L10 vs. Emile Griffith
5 minutes of his 62 match with Luis Rodriguez

if interested, let me know.

coachepoo@yahoo.com

StingerKarl
10-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Why dosen't Yama Bahama come here himself and ask for them?

GorDoom
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Karl:

Yama is an older gent & there's a good possibility that he's not into computers & asked his friends to help.

GorDoom

StingerKarl
10-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Ok Bucket-thanks.
Forgot for awhile how long ago back it was he fought as we talk about the greats of the past in real time here.
Karl

Ronald Lipton
10-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Like I have said, Emile Griffith who shaded Bahama in a 10 rounder liked him as one of his best spar mates.

Bahama beat the likes of Kid Gavilan, Jose Gonzalez, Joey Giambra, Phil Moyer, big tall and tough Farid Salim,
Joe Miceli, Gil Turner, Wilfie Greaves and many others.

No cupcake he.

GorDoom
10-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Bucket

Wow, that was really nice of you. I copied some of the post replies and Dan's article and when I get a chance will mail them to Yama. I bet he remembers Ronald Lipton. You and Dan Cuoco are the best. Thanks for all the help.
Jan

Oh, PS
If you don't mind, when you get a chance, could you post the following for me? If it is to long, you can cut out what you don't think is important. Thanks again.
-------------------------------------------------------
LOL, Even now all these years later Yama is still not a cup cake but, he is a sweetheart. He still jogs the island every day, besides managing his Bimini Breeze Bar & Restaurant.

I never followed the sport much except for a few highlight fights but have heard Yama mention a few of the names listed above. My husband Tommy could sit with him for hours listening to stories of earlier days in boxing.

Yama does not have access to the Internet in Bimini so we have been trying to help, but it's tough. All that seems to be out there are a few of his losses. A couple of years ago he had given us the name of someone in Miami who had the old films but when we tried to contact him, found the man had passed on. No-one knows where those tapes got to so I'm sure Yama would be happy if we could even find home movie clips of his fights, if any exist.

I have a couple of photos scanned of Tommy and Yama. We have a busy schedule and are on the road a lot but if anyone wants to see them you can email me at jtzito2001@aol.com. Thanks again to everyone who emailed with possible leads on videos, your kindness is appreciated. Sincerely,

Jan Zito

broncano
10-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Gordoom, I have a fair copy of the second Luis Rodriguez-Yama Bahama fight in full (TKO at the end of 3 for Rodriguez) which I got from Enrique Encinosa a few years ago.

I emailed Jan Zito a few days ago, but he did not reply. If he's interested have him email me here:

rodrigocrema@msn.com