PDA

View Full Version : Who's your fave fighter of all-time and why?

theironbar
07-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I was just reading on another thread (Fantasy Fights, Charles v. Quarry) that Jerry Quarry is StingerKarl's all-time favourite fighter (Karl -- I was thinking it might be one of our mutual faves Mando Ramos!) and it got me wondering, who's everyone else's favourite, and the all-important question, why?

Mine is Roberto Duran, for the obvious reasons, plus Duran visiting the depths of "No Mas", the comebacks, the Moore win, the Barkley win, and so on...

Duran first caught my attention at the age of 8 when he beat Sugar Ray at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal (which is about 2 hours from my parents' home in Ottawa). In my 8 year old mind I figured that, since the fight was taking place in Canada, one guy had to be Canadian. Leonard was obviously American, so Duran must be a hometown boy! Of course I learned quickly that Panama was a long way from Canada, but the affection for Duran stuck, and despite some strong challenges from Randolph Turpin and Jimmy McLarnin, Duran remains my favourite fighter of all-time!

Kid Azteca
07-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Ezzard Charles

Great Fighter, Class Act, Good all around person.

Love his style of boxing.

Roberto Aqui
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Of course I have many favorites, but I also champion the cause of fighters I don't care for when needed.

That being said, the one fighter I can never meet who I really wish I could see fight at ringside and spend a post training camp with is Jack Dempsey. Heck, I'd settle for an old lumpy 80 yr old Jack just to sit down, drink some beers, shoot the breeze and pick his brains.

theironbar
07-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Two great selections!

Years ago my dad met Jack Dempsey at his restaurant and got an autograph on a dollar bill... of course at some point later it got spent by an unsuspecting female relative... My poor dad was not impressed!

StingerKarl
07-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Jerry Quarry as I loved his smooth, flashy, counterpunching style and movements in the ring.
What a left hook to the body he had.
Second favorite is Danny "Little Red" Lopez.
Karl

kikibalt
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Joe Louis is my all time favorite , for his greatness as a fighter an for being a every humble man when he did't have to be

Frank B.

StingerKarl
07-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Joe Louis is my choice as The Best Fighter Ever; and definitely is in my top 5.
Karl

GorDoom
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Eder Jofre another class act & the best lower weight fighter I've EVER seen. On a P4P level I've got him up there w/Robinson.

GorDoom

jim glen
07-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Ezzard Charles - a first class boxer in the proper sense, beautiful to behold, cleaned his way through 3 divisions and persevered to end up winning a title that was in truth a division heavier than his true weight!

Jersey Joe Walcott - a cagey, slick, crafty mover and KO puncher, one of the best left-hooks in the business, again perseverance, should have been heralded sooner and had a title shot sooner... excellent!

Lloyd Marshall a great boxer/fighter displayed brilliance and fought everybody, the way he handled Freddie Mills was tremendous... Heralded by great names like Charley Rose and should have had a title shot, a classic case of an avoided fighter!

For my money in that order Charles, Walcott and Marshall.

theironbar
07-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Lloyd Marshall! I have the program from when he beat Freddie!

Gor -- Eder Jofre -- those losses to Fighting Harada -- what are your thoughts on the decisions? Were they fair? Did Harada just have his number?

BDeskins
07-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Sam Langford---character, charisma, brutal punching power, great all-around fighter!

Kid Achilles
07-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, and Rocky Marciano.

Dempsey for his savage attack, the legends surrounding his persona, and the raw power and imagery the name evokes to me.

Joe Louis for his perfect technique, modest yet dignified demeanor, and what he meant so, so many people.

Marciano because I think he was the epitomy of courage and confidence in the ring. What Tyson and Ali had in physical ability, Marciano had in willpower and grit. We may never get a guy like the Rock in heavyweight boxing again.

kikibalt
07-14-2005, 08:09 PM
I was lucky to see Jofre fight in person one time , i seen him k.o Eloy Sanchez in L.A. in 1960 , what a great fighter he was

Frank B.

GorDoom
07-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Dan's article on Jofre is THE quintessential piece on him. Extremely well researched & a great read. I also wrote a short bio on Jofre for the CBZ Encyclopedia but I have to say it pales in comparison to Dan's.

Anything you want to know about Jofre is in Dan's piece. & for those who might not know, Dan Cuoco's historical pieces are loaded with cred, besides being a great guy, he's the director of the International Boxing Reseach Org. They are simply the best organization of it's kind in the world.

& without IBRO's input the CBZ simply would not be what it is ...

GorDoom

Dan1213
07-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Eder Jofre.

Here is the article I wrote about Eder several years ago.

www.ibroresearch.com/Arti..._jofre.htm (http://www.ibroresearch.com/Articles/Jofre_Eder/eder_jofre.htm)

theironbar
07-14-2005, 09:59 PM
That article looks great Dan -- will print out and read on my way home -- didn't know there were so many Jofre fans out there!

mike21
07-14-2005, 11:34 PM
there are plenty i would have loved to have met but to see and talk to dempsey; the all time power puncher with savergy and technique to boot would be the ultimate for me/ then , of course, another one and only-harry greb.

Hagler04
07-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Well, a clear favorite of mine is Marvin Hagler . . .an all-out action fighter with skills and never stopped coming for his man.

In a similar vein, Joe Frazier . . .non-stop heart and pretty much always made a fight entertaining win or lose. I think only after someone has boxed a little can he understand what a hellish experience it would have been to face him . . non-stop pressure, it gives me chills just thinking about it.

Some others: Louis, Liston, Morales, Ike Williams.

jyoungfan2
07-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Jimmy Young. The eternal underdog. Just because I spent time with him and got to know him. He was a match for any heavyweight ever.

Larry Holmes. will always live in Ali's shadow, but proved he has the heart of a champion. stayed in his home town. started with nothing and worked his way up. He has always been nice to me and my family.

writehooks
07-15-2005, 03:27 AM
George Chuvalo, hands down. Never a world champion, but both in and out of the ring the man was (and is) the personification of courage and the triumph of the human spirit.

I became a Chuvalo fan at the age of 7 after watching him demolish Mike DeJohn on Gillette Friday Night Fights, but I didn't meet him in person until 1986, when he was training and managing Razor Ruddock. As adults we don't often get to meet our childhood heroes, and when we do it can be a disappointing experience. Not with George. Like most members of this board I knew all about his physical toughness, legendary endurance and under-rated punching ability, but it wasn't until we became friends and visited each other's homes several times that I started to understand the man behind the fighter. Besides being warm, generous and unfailingly good-humored, he is introspective, articulate and very well read. He can converse as easily about religious history or Freud as he does about boxing, and he has that rare ability to make everyone he talks to feel better about themselves and the world we live in.

The start of our friendship coincided with the beginning of the series of tragic events that destroyed George's family (three sons and a wife lost to drug abuse and suicide), but even during his darkest hours he was the rock that held his surviving children and grandchildren together. Travelling with him on the road, sharing hotel rooms in whistlestops like Fort McMurray, Alberta and Trail, B.C., and witnessing the impact of his heart-breaking anti-drug presentations to students for more than a decade, I can honestly say I've never met a more honest, courageous or impressive human being.

When I was researching my book on the history of Canadian pro boxing in 1996, George was an enormous help in opening doors that otherwise would have been closed to me. Everyone I subsequently interviewed -- including Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Patterson and Angelo Dundee -- expressed their respect and admiration for Chuvalo, both as a fighter and a man. It was, in a way, the ultimate "unanimous decision" for a guy who is still going the distance to make the world a better place.

I'm very proud to call him my friend.

jyoungfan2
07-15-2005, 08:07 AM
writehooks, would you say his son looks exactly like a young george chuvalo? I agree with you, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the chuvalos .

TKO11
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Some might think that post of yours to be a little sentimental, but George is one of my all-time favorites, and I've always had the same opinion about what kind of man he is. When in downtown Toronto you see him out and about now and then, and he always has the time to say hello and shake hands with fans. I thought your post was bang-on, and definitely plucks at the heart strings. George is a one of a kind guy.

HEGrant
07-16-2005, 07:20 PM
My all time favorites are Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey. Both facinate me. Both are exceptional American stories.

Sam Langford amazes me. He is far and away my pound for pound pick s all time great.

From more modern times I favored Duran and Holmes.

handtomouth
07-17-2005, 05:29 AM
before my time (mid '60's back):

i'd admire louis, respect fitzsimmons, acknowledge sullivan, marvel at robinson & i'm impressed w/ tunney... though i like watching them all, none of these guys fascinate me... however these 2 still do:

jack johnson- though may have served himself better w/ wiser choices & less vice-addicted actions... he nevertheless still amazes & fascinates me... watching his innovative style & confidence in the ring nearly is secondary once you know his story... the history of his times & the fortitude & guile to endure it & more remarkably thrive in it is an amazing look at will, courage & the mirror of america itself in that pivotal first decade of 20th century... has there ever been anyone bolder in any sport ever?

jack dempsey- if you look solely at cold ring statistics, some brightness dims in this amer grand legend of the '20's... but like namath in football, his aura was rare & potent transcending into symbolic force, bigger then stats... why?... my quess is his story & the timing of his rise tap into key undercurrents wh/ makeup a unique sense & need for a native form of amer physical hero... springing from a still untamed west, w/ real hunger & poverty driving him he unleashed in physical form a mirror of both the hunger & desire to claim all that a new booming amer could give back in the '20's... that desperation & singleminded force in the willard fight struck me as a kid on film unlike anything i'd ever seen in any sport & locked me into being a fan of the sport... that still strikes me esp considering it was nearly 50 years before i was borne.

post '60's:

duran & tyson were destructively beautiful in their prime, arguello was like refined art, little red & boom boom gutty, smokin joe admirable & foreman & holy inspiring but for me they didnt transcend... 2 did:

ali- bigger then jordan.... fame wh/ carried beyond the ropes... event maker in & out of the ring... pre fights more electric then superbowls... great to watch in the ring... free flow & unique... brash talk that latched you into his quest... but what i remember so much growing up is how big events got around him... no one in my lifetime could do that to sporting events... thats missed.

sugar ray leonard... the olympic performance meant a lot to me & springboarded my attention to him... his fights never disappointed in his prime... enjoyed the flash & beauty in the ring... but learned to love his guts & killer instinct.

HEGrant
07-17-2005, 09:29 AM
One of the biggest things that amazes me about Dempsey and adds to his legend is the way he was able to evolve from wild west hobo, really from the wrong side of the tracks to become a successful businessman and long time highly respected member of society. No arrests, no drunken brawls, no wife beatings...it really adds to his legend, an American legend.

JimmyShimmy
07-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Funnily enough my favourite fighter of all time is Jack Dempsey too.

Love his style, persona, attitude towards the game, his ruthlessness (nobody was meaner in the ring) and his greatly underrated/un-noticed skill.

I can't think of a more complete fighter.

I love Jack Johnson also-a huge figure in the history of racial issues, an immortal powerhouse/defencsive wiz who loved to frustrate.

After he beat Jeffries America exploded because it really seemed like he was unbeatable thus they were never gonna be able to get rid of him.

Bob Fitzsimmons, Jimmy Wilde and Harry Greb to name a few others.

bomma
07-17-2005, 02:00 PM
My favorite was Tommy Hearns. Every fight he was ever in was alway exciting. He ether KOed the guy or got KOed. The fact that he had such a huge punch and such a questionable chin that it made every moment of his fight exciting.

pendleton23
07-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Ok I have alot of favorite boxers.So here it is:

Thomas Hearns-Tremendous boxer and puncher.And he had the heart of a lion.
Donald Curry-The most skilled boxer in my opinion that I have seen.Watching him in his prime take apart his opponents with skillful precision was a joy for me to watch.
Calvin Grove-Loved his boxing style.
Roger Mayweather-A skillful boxer who could hit.Watched him for years.
Anthony Stephens-Double jab and then the righthand.Skilled but flawed by his chin and tendacy to get into exchanges.
Harold Brazier-Watched him perfect his style over the years.his 2nd bout with Meekins a masterful display of boxing.
Tony Martin-The blue collar boxer.Not fast and didn't hit hard but came to fight.
Brian Paden-If he would have let his hands go he would have won some big bouts he was in.Beautiful defence and body punching.
Hedgeman Lewis-Heard about him from you guys.Checked him out and wow what a beautiful boxer.
Ken Buchanan-Love his jab and his toughness and underrated boxing ability.
Fred Pendleton-Never quit and won his title the hard way.Started of as a slick boxer but discovered he had power in his righthand.

Chuck1052
07-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Muhammad Ali and Roberto Duran rank high on my
all-time favorite list, but others include Armando
Muniz, Bobby Chacon, Danny "Little Red" Lopez,
and Alberto Davila.

- Chuck Johnston

BDeskins
07-18-2005, 05:42 AM
I just found out something that I think is pretty cool. I just bought Dempsey's 1960 autobiography as told to Bob Considine and as I was reading it, Dempsey was talking about his parents and he stated that his mother's (Ceclia Smoot) father had a successful grocery store in my home of Tazewell, Virginia...it really surprised the hell out of me that Jack Dempsey would even know about Tazewell, but apparently his mother may have actually been from here, so I'm going to go to the court house and check some records, do a little research and see what I can turn up!

naf2003
07-18-2005, 02:04 PM
There was a Smoot (maybe Terry?) who played football at VT in the late 60s or early 70s. I don't know where he was from but he was supposed to have benn a hard nosed guy. Maybe a relative?

BDeskins
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Dempsey said that he went to a Dempsey family reunion at Logan, WVA, where his father was from and he said that a ton of Dempsey's were still in Logan as of 1960, Logan which isn't far from where I live either...he said his manager, or someone called him from New York at the reunion and when it was stated that there was a telephone call for Jack Dempsey, around 25 Jack Dempsey's was ready to take the call. I'm going to travel to Logan sometime in the near future and see what kind of relatives I might be able to track down.

kikibalt
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Chuck
You pick a good one in Albert Davila , one of my favorite BOXER, an he was a hell of a boxer

Frank B.

mike21
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
great reads on dempsey; when i first saw him on film not only was i mesmerized but taken aback at his sheer hate in the ring- anf this was just having met him in his resturant- when the lendary champions documentary was in the theaters over 35 years ago. never saw and never will see such talent and viciousness in on person/and as he grant said- he never slid back to that life in any way ouside the ring- a real gentleman ; people who were personal friends of his told me so, in fack nobody ever that i can think of had anything bad to say about his comportment/ langford a great and a great guy/ and there are alot but also chuvalo.

rocky111
07-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Got to be Dempsey. We grew up hearing about him from the hard rock guys in the Hood. He was the legend we dreamed about and his story inspired us. His after llife just added to the legend. Kids in the fifties wanted to be tough and have a heart of gold at the same time. Dempsey was all of this to us.
Rocky Marciano comes next. The son of immigrants who looked like us. He also never disapointed in deed or word.
Tony Canzoneri, Floyd Patterson, Marcel Cerdan, Carmen Basilio, Henry Hank, Dick Tiger, Carlos Monzon, Tony Zale, Rocky Graziano, Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles and on and on.....

Chuck1052
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Frank- In my opinion, Alberto Davila was one of
the best pure boxers who was active during the
last thirty-five years.

- Chuck Johnston

Ronald Lipton
07-20-2005, 10:45 PM
My favorite persons who I have known very closely and I love dearly as close buddies with me and my family are Chuvalo, Ali Jose Monon Gonzalez, Carlos Ortiz, Joe Frazier. I know George's family since the 60's and we have done many things together in his anti-drug campaign.

My favorite fighters to watch were Tiger, Hank, Carter, Satterfield, Zale, Carlos Hernnadez from Venezuela, Jofre, the young Mike Tyson, Florentino Fernandez, Bob Foster, and so many others.

My favorite one of all time is Joe Louis for the exact reasons Frank said.

kikibalt
07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Chuck
I'm of the same opinion as you when it come to Davila, he was not a runner he was as you said a PURE BOXER

Frank B.

Steve Coughlin
07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Just ONE? Can't do it, but here's a short list of "my guys"

Ricardo Lopez - perhaps the greatest of all Mexican fighters

Cornelius Boza Edwards - Defines "Classy Warrior"

Arturo Gatti - My personal Greatful Dead; if he's lacing 'em up I'll be there

John "The Beast" Mugabi - Cool dude with Earnie Shaver's power at 154

Salvador Sanchez - IMO, the best Featherweight ever

Roberto Duran - IMO, the best Lightweight ever

Alexis Arguello - The respectful champion. Not a bad right hand either!

Matthew Saad Muhammad - his DNA wouldn't allow him to be in a bad fight

Louis Lomeli - 'cause he a friend of mine and he almost got to Whitaker.

gregbeyer
07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
danny lopez....heart, heart,heart.
greg

PeteLeo
07-22-2005, 02:33 AM
You know, I remember that Lomeli-Whitaker fight, and though I'm sure most folks today look at the (rare) Sweetpea KO win on the record and dismiss it as a possibly competitive bout, Louie had his moments, didn't he? I recall at one point (I think it was the second round), Lomeli landed a fearsome shot to Whitaker's chin, and for one frozen instant, the 'Pea was left hanging there, apparently out on his feet and held up by his locked knees. But it was only a moment, and the followup punch that would have changed so much subsequent history in the light-, jr. welter-, and welterweight ranks never landed. It's sort of like the way that for a similar brief fraction of a second Sugar Ray Leonard was all but comatose in his pro debut against Willie "Fireball" Rodriguez when Willie (who threw up in the dressing room prior to the bout because he was so nervous) connected with a danged near prefect shot to Ray's chin.
I guess it's another facet of the great ones that they can have these isolated moments of peril and overcome them, whereas a good but somewhat lesser fighter will succumb.

Here's one for the fantasy fight forum: Ray Leonard vs. Pernell Whitaker at their respective peaks in the welterweight divisions. PeteLeo.

Steve Coughlin
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
He sure did have Sweet Pea rocked, didn't he Pete? But Whitaker managed to avoid everything solid after that. And the reason he KO'd my buddy was that Louie was attempting to throw another bomb and got caught square with a counter shot he never saw coming. Even a guy who isn't known for his power can lay you out cold if they catch you that way. Louie is doing very well these days; he works full-time as a teamster and is also a part-time Police Officer in Melrose Park, a Chicago suburb.

And hit me back about that TV show "Bottom" with Ric Mayall and Adrian Edmundson. Tryst me buddy, if you haven't seen it and you're a fan of The Young Ones you'll be very, very pleased.

blv30
07-22-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm going with Ray Leonard, vintage Ray, then in no particular order, Larry Holmes, Aaron Pryor, Jeff Chandler, Michael Spinks, Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Thomas Hearns, Alexis Arguello, Edwin Rosario, and Hector Camacho.

PeteLeo
07-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Sorry, but I'm confused. Do I owe you some tapes of Mayall & Co.?

It's nice to know that Louie is a post-ring success story. PeteLeo.

Steve Coughlin
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
No buddy; I was offering them to you. They (Ric & Ade) star in a TV series called "Bottom". I noticed that you had posted about Ric & his work on "The Young Ones" and thought if you hadn't seen "Bottom" I could send a few episodes to you. If you're interested hit me back.

thumper3852
07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
My favorites are:

Ali-----All time #1 in my book -for everything he did and everything he is
Duran- for being the complete epitome of a fighter, including the quirks...an absolute animal
Jerry Quarry- maybe its the white guy in me...but for a time he was just an exciting fighter...loved the counter punching and the body shots
Nino Benvenuti-it started with the first fight w Griffith (who I thought had become boring, I love the guy though)...climbed off the floor...cut badly,etc. He was stylish (in and out of the ring) and a pretty damn good fighter
Arguello- so much entertainment and enjoyment watching his fights over the years
Dick Tiger- just a class act in every way
Finally- atie between Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield- because they both freed the boxing world of Mike Tyson....even though we didn't necessarily want emancipated

others include Carlos Ortiz, Buchanan, Greg Haugen, Luis Rodriguez, Floyd Patterson, I could go on and on, but I won't

Mr E
07-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Of the guys I watched live (i.e., who came along in my lifetime), my favorites were:

--"The Greatest," Muhammad Ali
--King Carlos Palomeeeeeee-heeno (Jimmy Lennon, Sr.)
--Danny "Little Red" Lopez
--Miracle Matthew (Franklin) Saad Muhammad

Of the guys who came along before my time, whom I've only known through books and films, my favorites were (randome order):

--Jack Dempsey
--Joe Louis
--Harry Greb
--Gene Fullmer
--Dick Tiger
--Billy Miske
--Sam Langford
--Jose Napoles
--Jim Jeffries
--Zora Folley
--Freddie Steele

JLP 6
08-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Sanchez had as much skill as any fighter ever. He could do it all; outfight, infight, counter, and lead.

He stayed calm in tough fights and never disrespect a fighter. He was a boxing master. A genius! Watch his work in the first Lopez bout if you need a reference.

The man was as elegant as a dancer but, as dangerous a Hells Angel.

beddows
08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Always had a soft spot for Victor Galindez. He took his title on the road and racked up 10 defences in a formidable era for light-heavies before bombing against Rossman in 1978. He got his revenge a few months later.
I think what I liked best about Galindez was that he looked like a face-first slugger but in fact was a boxer. Marvin Johnson said he was the cutest fighter he ever fought (and Johnson knocked him out!).

ERICB
08-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I too was an admirer of Victor Galindez. He was one of the most deceptive fighters around in his era, because he was much slicker than given credit for and could slug
away or box. The calibre of his opponents would surely stack up against any 175 lb'er of any era. I would love to have seen him fight Marvin Johnson in say "77, because the result just might have been a little different than the 11th rd TKO in "79.

rocky111
08-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Id like to further throw in Barney Ross, Lew Jenkins, and of course the genetic wonder Max Schmeling.
Ross was a man like few others, and one must read the WC Heintz story on GI Lew to get the slant on who Lew Jenkins really was. What heart and courage.
Max Schmeling. Simply what a life. He had breakfast with Hitler and Roosevelt and was in a boxing ring with both Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey. Almost made it to a hundred with his mind fully intact. What a man.

jdemont
08-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi:

Noticed you're another Langford fan. I'm a wriiter from his home province (Nova Scotia) writing a fictionalized bio of Langford in the vein of Peter Carey's novel about Ned Kelly (The True History of the Kelly Gang), Michael Ondaatje's novel about the trumpeter Buddy Bolden (Coming Throuth Slaughter), James Blake's work on the gangster Harry Pierpoint (Handsome Harry) and Darin Strauss's number on the fighter Kid McCoy (The Real McCoy). With no official bios out there I'm desperately searching for clips, articles or any other info on Langford. Don't suppose you happen to have any that you'd be willing to share.

best wishes
John DeMont

Hitman Heitzie
08-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Tommy Hearns - so precise in his punching, he was "death from above" early in his career. At midleweight and above, he was so vulnerable. In the 1st Iran Barkley fight he is just KILLING Iran, soldering his eyes shut, when Iran just clocks him cold in the 3rd.

Also-
Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Lennox Lewis
Evander Holyfield
Barry McGuigan
Tommy Morrison
Pernell Whitaker
Roger Mayweather (for some of the same reasons as Hearns)
Aaron Pryor
Ken Norton
Jeff Fenech
Mark Breland
Razor Ruddock
James Toney
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Hector Camacho Sr (yes, an asshole, but he was really someting in the early-mid 80's and I can't help but wish he would turn his life around)

Truth be told I like ALMOST all fighters, and most that I have met have been real gentlemen, especially when they can tell I am a real fan.

mikeydepaula
09-16-2005, 06:08 PM
i would have to say FRANKIE DEPAULA

walsh b
09-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Mine is definitely Ali, for not just his amazing skill in the ring, but his charisma, personality, style, wit etc etc. He was one of the greatest figures in the history of the world......Also his courage with the Vietnam thing and his heart as a Champion.
Ray Leonard to me was the finest fighter I've ever seen outside of the heavies....he had everything, speed, chin, stamina, footwork, defense, and most importantly he found a way to win. Robinson as well was amazing...the complete package.......

JLP 6
09-25-2005, 05:25 PM
You know this is such a hard question to answer even though it seems simple. I've already answered, and I chose Sanchez, but the fighter I watch most is Duran.

The fighter I admire most is Ross. The fighter who stlye mine is like is Olivares. Short but on my toes looking for openings. Robinson and Joe Louis are other fighters I study, but I don't have to watch them. Charles is in my top 3 all-time p4p. Leonard has no weaknesses, and Hagler is the fighters fighter.

My absolute favorite fighter has to be a guy name Ricardo "Chappo" Vargas. His stlye is sweet science. If anyone has any of his fights from a year or two ago let me know.