PDA

View Full Version : Lonne Bennett TKO8 Billy Douglas 1976...?

kenmore3233
08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Does anyone here remember seeing a late night, nationally televised match between light heavyweight contenders Lonnie Bennett and Billy Douglas in the spring of 1976?

If my memory serves me right, Bennett won by TKO when Douglas retired with cuts after the 8th round.

This bout is not recorded on www.boxrec.com. Does anyone remember seeing it...or reading about it?

StingerKarl
08-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Yes, kenmore I saw it.
Yaqui Lopez also fought on the same card and won.
It was on a Saturday Night and Jerry Quarry was the lead commentator.
I saw it on the UHF-pre-cable station here in Houston.
Very good fight, but Lonnie left-handed him to death.
Bob Foster also KO'd Al Bolden on that card.
Jerry was actually picking Dynamite to win the fight; but Lonnie tore the aggressive Douglas up.
The full report was in the Ring Magazine with John L. Sullivan on the cover.
Dynamite kept barrelling in; but was met time and time again with the hurtful jab of Bennett-who had just come off a weird loss to John Conteh after Conteh became desperate and butted him wide open.
This was one of Bennett's Best Performances over a top flight mean guy that gave Victor Galindez all that he could handle-and was thought by many folks to have actually beaten Victor that night in a non-title go as Dynamite banged with The Bull for the whole route.
Karl

kenmore3233
08-22-2005, 01:27 AM
StingerKarl: I'm glad you remember the fight.

I want to get this bout added to Bennett's record at www.boxrec.com. When I tried to do so previously, they said they wouldn't add it because they had no proof that the bout actually happened.

Apparently, for some flukey reason, the Ring Record Book doesn't include the bout either.

Yeah, Bennett looked great that night against Douglas. I remember his dominant left jab...they called it the "Magic Wand".

I'll ask the admins at www.boxrec.com to check out this thread.

Do you remember the month in 1976 that Ring Magazine did a write-up of this fight?

StingerKarl
08-22-2005, 01:44 AM
No, kenmore.
But; Lonnie trains in LA and you can probably get ahold of him by making a few telephone calls.
Karl

beddows
08-22-2005, 07:19 AM
After his display against Conteh (he really hurt Conteh to the body), I always felt Bennett deserved another crack, but somehow it didn't happen.

broncano
08-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Kenmore, I happen to be missing several issues for 1976 Ring Magazine, but if you come across the write up I'll add the bout in question right away. You can email me at:

rodrigocrema@msn.com

StingerKarl
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
cgi.ebay.com/3-Copies-of-...dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Copies-of-The-Ring-Boxing-magazine-dated-1976-75_W0QQitemZ5232582688QQcategoryZ1227QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem)
Found it on e-bay!
Karl
July-August 1976 Issue with John L. Sullivan on the cover (the middle one) with the white background
The night of the fight was May 8, 1976.
It was the same card that Bob Foster KO'd Al Bolden in 3 in Missoula, Montana.

Zevl
08-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Hi all,

This is the text from the article in Ring Magazine with which you refer. Sorry, I'm not quite sure how to paste anything but text, I had the whole page scanned in, oh well. Enjoy.

"FORMER light heavyweight king Bob Foster made his second ring appearance in two years, with a third round kayo over unranked Al Bolden, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Missoula, Montana, on a national T.V. show.
Also on the same card in a bout billed as the North American light heavyweight championship, Lonnie Bennett, Los Angeles, stopped Akronís Bill Douglas in nine. Undefeated local 175 pounder, Marvin Camel, won a ten round nod over New Yorkís Angel Oquendo.
Foster gave up his title on September 16, 1 974, when he retired from the ring. Three months earlier he boxed a 15 round draw with Argentinaís Jorge Ahumada in his last title defense. At this point both the W.B.A. and W.B .C. were forcing him to box their
NO-i men in his next defense or lose his crown. Rather than give in to one or the other Bob called it a career. Victor Galindez then went on to win the W.B .A. title and John ďbroken handĒ Conteh the W.B.C. crown.
Foster didnít have much of a chance to show if he had much left, but one thing is for sure, he hasnít lost his punch. He kayoed Bolden with a short right to the jaw.
Lonnie Bennett won all the way from Douglas as he used a good left jab to close bdth of Billís eyes. The slow contest ended when Douglas didnít come out for the ninth round.
Southpaw Marvin Camel boxed the ears off a slow moving Angel Oquendo in another 10 round light heavyweight affair. Camelís wife was his second and added the only life to a dull contest. This win over Oquendo keeps Marvin undefeated."

broncano
08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
There's nothing to add in Boxrec....the reason being that this bout had been there all along.

StingerKarl
08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I went there yesterday and it wasn't there, broncano.
Karl

broncano
08-24-2005, 01:53 AM
It most definitely was.

StingerKarl
08-24-2005, 08:01 AM
If it was; it was put up there yesterday after
they were drawn attention to this thread and the contents of it.
As of the 22nd; the fight did not appear on either Lonnie's nor Bill's ring ledger.
Karl

Chuck1052
08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
I also remember seeing Lonnie Bennett stopping
Billy Douglas on television. Yes, it seemed that
Bennett to land with his jab throughout the
bout.

- Chuck Johnston