PDA

View Full Version : Punching Preachers

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Meet a guy who fought out E Los Angeles as an amature who is pastoring a church.

His name is Ray Ramirez and he trained out of a small gym named, Resurrection that in now the Del La Hoya Gym. I am sure Mr Baltazar knows this guy.

This started me thinking of all the ex pugs that are now preaching. My mind started spitting out plenty to start. Can you add any more?

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 09:39 PM
I would say the most famous and wealthest is Rev George Foreman. Has anyone ever seen or visited this church that he has?

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Jersy Joe Walcott,

I recall seeing a picture of him standing in front of a church that I think it said he pastored at one time.
Anyone know any info more?

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Ernie Shaverz.

I read that the ex heavyweight contendor was preaching somewhere overseas?

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 09:53 PM
James The Heat Kitchen.

I heard he has a little church in San Diego.

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Ernie The Cat Ladd

Ok....he was a football player and wrestler but I was told he was on the local cable show preaching too

Rudyrooter
08-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Oscar Shotgun Alvarado

The ex jr middleweight champ was on a poster that I saw once that included other ex fighters, like Jose Miranda who was KOed by Carlos Palomino on TV once. The group was called Impacto. Never heard of them since.

Roberto Aqui
08-22-2005, 10:02 PM
George was the only one I can immediately recall who was a preacher whilst being a boxer.

Now Ali as part of his CO draft status in the the 60s claimed to be a religious teacher, which I always found strange given that he had only been in the NOI for a year or two. Not a Christian preacher but perhaps an NOI cleric?

Henry Armstrong famously became a preacher after hitting rock bottom after he retired.

There was some clubfighter I saw on ESPN or TF that claimed to be a Preacher. Calvin Brock or Lamon Brewster might be.

kikibalt
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Rudy

This guy Ray Ramirez that fought as an amature is how old ? i might know him, if you a can get more info. on him pass it on to me , e-mail me, do you still have my e-mail addresss?

Farnk B.

JimmyShimmy
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
...The shortest HW champ ever, also in possession of the most consecutive KO defences racked up (8) became a preacher in later life.

greek1237
08-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Tommy Burns. Ok I knew the answe before.

Now I see the Tommy Burns message on top lol/=.

I recall him saying something like, had he known now what he knew than, He would never be a champion.

Rudyrooter
08-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Mr B,

I am sure you know him or have heard of him There was a big story about Ray helping out Bobby Chacon a few years ago.
I guess when Ray was a kid, he sparred with Bobby.
The chuch is called, Hillside Baptist Church.

Juan C Ayllon
08-24-2005, 02:59 AM
I heard that Dave Tiberi, who officially lost to an out of shape James Toney, but clearly edged him, was in the ministry. I think I read he was a youth pastor.

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

gazot
08-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Don't forget 'The Georgia Deacon' Tiger Flowers.

Rudyrooter
08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Anyone recall a heaveyweight in the 70's named,

Fred "Preacher" Lewis ?