PDA

View Full Version : Fights that changed careers...

HEGrant
07-22-2005, 08:07 PM
All the talk about Cuevas made me realize how he was never the same fighter after the Hearns fight. I want to mention other fighters whose career's were forever changed by one fight.

How's this:

Camacho vs Rosario. At the time Camacho was one of the greatest pound for pound guys in the world. He was a boxing superstar. When he took on Rosario at the Garden he was a huge favorite over the ex-champ. Camacho's reign as a great champ ended when Rosario tagged him with some exceptional dynamite midway through the fight. Some huge bombs. To Hector's credit he did not go down. He survived the fight and actually managed to outpoint Rosario by a razor thin margin. However, he was never the same fighter again. He became a boring, defensive guy that took no risks. He began to deteriorate from that point.

Another guy Rosario ruined was Bramble who was ridding high after his two wins over Mancini. Bramble was a big star and thought to be a huge favorite over Rosario. Rosario blasted him out in the second round and Bramble never recovered.

Any others ???

Hagler04
07-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Jones JR after Tarver 1

Hagler after Mugabi

Frazier after Ali 1

Johnson after Shieka (changed style)

There are surely many others . . . good topic

pendleton23
07-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Don Curry vs Honeyghan
Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez 1
Kevin howard vs Bobby Joe young
Calvin Grove vs Jorge paez
Ed Hopson vs Tracy Patterson
Tommy Ayers vs Rollin Williams
Frankie Randall vs Primo Ramos

Chuck1052
07-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Big John Tate vs. Mike Weaver
Alberto Sandoval vs. Alfonso Zamora
Mark Breland vs. Marlon Starling I
Mike Tyson vs. Buster Douglas

- Chuck Johnston

BDeskins
07-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Simon Brown following his KO loss to Vincent Pettway!
Terry Norris following his KO loss to Simon Brown

dnahar
07-23-2005, 05:15 AM
How about Joey Maxim after his "win" over a collapsing Sugar Ray Robinson? He was blown out in his next fight against Archie and his career was basically done except for a gift decision over Patterson.

Deepak

jyoungfan2
07-23-2005, 11:32 AM
tiberi/toney- tiberi refused to fight anymore after that one
hagler/leonard - hagler retired after that one too

blv30
07-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Was he ranked at the time of the Kevin Howard fight?

writehooks
07-27-2005, 01:28 AM
No title was at stake, but there was a lot of second-guessing here in the Great White North in the wake of Smokin' Bert Cooper's 4-minute execution of Willie de Wit on Feb. 15, 1986.

De Wit, the 1984 Olympic silver medallist and reigning Canadian heavyweight champ, went into the bout with a record of 24-0-1 and a No. 10 world ranking. Handsome, white and extraordinarily polite, he was described by Don King as being "worth a gold mine," and there had already been inquiries from Mike Tyson's people about a future mega-millions showdown. De Wit was backed by a pair of Texas multi-millionaires and had a high-powered PR outfit splashing his face in dozens of print ads and TV commercials in Canada. His profile was so big that CBS paid him $600,000 US for the first of a what was supposed to become a series of showcase bouts on CBS Sports Saturday. Cooper was hand-picked as the opponent for the debut bout in Regina, Saskatchewan, with Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy calling the action from the sold-out hockey rink.

It wasn't pretty. In the first round, Coop landed every power punch he threw, knocking de Wit to the canvas four times and opening two big cuts. It was more of the same in the opening seconds of the Round 2, until the massacre was mercifully ended by the referee. De Wit's mother, who was at ringside, went hysterical and had to receive medical attention. The crowd was stunned -- as were Ryan and Clancy. The only two guys in the place who were cool, calm and collected were Coop and Joe Frazier, who simply took care of business. I had dinner with Joe the previous evening, and he told me it wouldn't go two full rounds. I thought he was full of shit.

Sadly, Willie and his dad had a serious falling out after that fight. The old man wanted his son to quit the ring and go into business, but Willie refused. They didn't speak to each other for nearly a year, and had only started to rebuild their relationship when Len de Wit and his other son, Willie's younger brother, perished in a plane crash in the summer of 1987.

Willie was never the same afterwards. He fought for another few months, then retired with a record of 27-1-1 after decisioning Henry Tillman, the guy who beat him for the gold medal at the L.A. Olympics.

Today de Wit is a devoted husband and father and a very successful corporate lawyer in Calgary, Alberta -- but once in a while he still thinks about how his career might have taken a very different turn if he'd defeated Cooper.

PeteLeo
07-27-2005, 03:15 AM
" . . . the guy who beat him for the gold medal in the Los Angeles Olympics . . . ."
Only in the eyes of a bunch of blind judges. Willie kicked Tillman's ass in that match and took all three rounds fairly clearly. Even a homer like Howard Cosell was struck almost speechless when the decision was rendered.
As far as I'm concerned that travesty was every bit as bad as RJJ's "loss" to the Korean, but because it took place in LA and Americans just didn't lose decisions that year, this robbery has been largely forgotten. Not so long ago I obtained a tape of the match, and it stinks just as bad today. PeteLeo.

walsh b
07-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Hagler04, the Frazier V Ali choice would be my pick. It took a hell of a lot out of both fighters, but more out of Joe. He wasn't the same after. He took an enormous amount of punishment in that fight

TKO11
07-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Smokin' Joe returned the favor in 1975. Ali gave his last great performance that night, and never again looked to be anything beyond a fairly ordinary heavyweight with 4 tons of heart. The Thrilla took almost everything he had left.

thumper3852
07-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Just one to consider on this topic:

Louis-Schmeling 1

It was a humbling experience for the young fighter and served to motivate and rededicate Joe, who didn't really need much of either, but he took the loss with class, and came back even better, and as a result (IMHO) made it mandatory to include his name in every discussion of great fighters

BDeskins
07-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Mike Dixon KO of Alex Garcia...Garcia was beginning to make a little noise and had hit some top ten ratings, but Dixon shattered any hope of that...I think Garcia and Wlad are similar, but I think Wlad may have just a little more left than what Garcia did, but the mindset of both are very much alike.

beddows
07-30-2005, 04:36 PM
McGuigan-Pedroza, or Rossman-Galindez. Both winners looked a million dollars on the night - but never looked as good again.
Strange. Maybe they lost the spark after reaching the summit.

gregbeyer
07-30-2005, 05:26 PM
chango carmona was on a pretty good roll until he was placed as a 3-1 favorite over rodolfo gonzalez. el gato realy stuck a fork in the monkey man.
greg