PDA

View Full Version : Jose Napoles

pendleton23
06-05-2005, 08:21 PM
This might seem like a stupid question but were any of Napoles bouts ever brodcast in color?And if not how come?

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez
06-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Yes, many of Jose "Mantequilla" Napoles' fights were in color. I can mention three of them that I saw--
one was against Curtis Cokes for the Welterweight Championship of the World. One was against "Indian Red" Lopez also for the Welterwight Championship of the World and another was against Armando Muniz in Mexico City.

El Gato

wildhawke11
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Hello Champ --- *THE CAT* :D
Great to see you here.

One more you can add Rodolfo, have you forgot that when you sent me your Championship winning fight. You also sent me Napoles v John H Stacey thats in color also.

StingerKarl
06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
The Carlos Monzon fight is also in color as well.

gregbeyer
06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
i have a tape of the second napoles- backus fight which is also in color. matter of fact i believe most of the napoles fights from the forum were in color with the possible exception of the first cokes fight which i have taped in b and w and the defence against griffith.

napoles also fought a few non-title fight there. the fights with edwin "fighting" mack and jean josselin come to mind but i have never seen any tapes on them. the only color film i have ever seen of his second lopez fight is a brief clip of the ko which showed up when red came out of hiding to be inducted into the calif. hall of fame. too bad to. i was at that fight and it was a war until the ko shot ended it.

and...there are no stupid questions...nobody is born knowing this stuff. take care.
greg

olympic auditorium
06-06-2005, 10:15 PM
I have Napoles vs Lewis 1 in color and black and white off 2 inch tape.

pendleton23
06-07-2005, 02:09 AM
So is the first Jose Napoles -Curtis Cokes bout in colr or just the rematch?And how about The Lopez series ?are they both in color?The reason I ask is because I have the first Napoles -Cokes bout in black and white but I can't see thing its so bad.
I just would really like to watch a tape of Napoles in his prime and I thought if it were in color it would be a little easier to see the action.

olympic auditorium
06-07-2005, 07:27 PM
The brief clip of the Napoles vs Lopez ko where did you see that?

gregbeyer
06-07-2005, 10:38 PM
olympic,
this is the story. a year or two ago i was in contact with ernie's son lance. ernie had been missing for 10 yrs. and was feared dead. when the calif. hall of fame announced they were going to induct ernie many thought the honor would be posthumus. a few weeks before the induction lance, who never gave up on finding his dad, e-mailed me and told me that was exactly what happened. ernie was found living in a shelter in texas.

i was a great fan of both the lopez brothers and lance always liked hearing the stories i told about his fathers career. when they were finaly reunited lance had his dad sign a couple of old "indian red" photos for me. when i got the package he sent me, included was the interview cnn did on ernies reappearance on vhs. in that interview is the only footage i have ever seen on the second napoles-lopez fight. the clip is in color. my tape of the first fight is in black and white and narrated in spanish.

ernie is a vagabond. sadly after the induction he took back to the road and i have not heard a word from lance since. i fear finding his dad and then losing him, to the road, was a heart breaking experience for him.

the story of the lopez brothers is not well known by many but believe me it would make one hell of a book or movie.

BTW. i was wondering how you came by your screne name. in the late 60's and early 70's the olympic auditorium is a place i saw a lot of. on the nights of big fights the atmosphere there was something i have never felt since. take care.
greg

Mr E
06-07-2005, 11:50 PM
If only he hadn't come along at the same time as the great Jose Napoles, Indian Red would almost surely have been a champion. Imagine how much money a guy like that would have made had he hit his prime today!

I've said this before but, if you ask me, Lopez, Hedgemon Lewis and Clyde Gray would all have been hall-of-famers had they not run up against Mantequilla.

StingerKarl
06-08-2005, 12:16 AM
All very good fighters. E. They all certainly would have held a version of the title in today's present state.
Karl

kikibalt
06-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Napoles was past his prime when he boxed Lewis, Lopez and Gray, he was at his best when he was fighting at 135lbs.,I seen him fight in the late 50's ,when he came to L.A. he was older then what they were saying

pendleton23
06-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Was Clyde Gray that good?

kikibalt
06-08-2005, 12:45 AM
I don"t think so

StingerKarl
06-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Well; Gray was a pretty good kid in a brutal era of welterweights. I think he could have certainly held his own and maybe beat Cory Spinks, for example or Six Heads Lewis. He would have won a version of the title in a different era. IMO
Karl

kikibalt
06-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey i argee that he could have beaten Spinks and Six Heads Lewis

olympic auditorium
06-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Greg
I asked about the Lopez clip ,I thought you might have been at the California Hall OF Fame Ceremony.I provided film footage that day on several fighterss.Fenech ,Genaro Hernandez,and a few others were inducted.I made a tape of highlights of different fighters,so as people were coming in thats what was on the screen.It was a great event can't wait till this year.As for my name first of all Im from Los Angeles,second my father used to fight at The Olympic as an amateur.I've heard all the great stories.Thursday night fights,Ailleen Eaton,Main ST.Gym,Mando Ramos,Efren Torres,Ktla,cherry bombs going off at the Olympic,just a few memories from the great days of boxing.

kikibalt
06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
When did your farther fight at the Olympic Aud. ,i"m asking this because i used to matchmake the amateurs
that would fight before the pros.,maybe i know your dad, what is his name ?

olympic auditorium
06-08-2005, 04:09 PM
He was fighting in 1971 and was being trained by Jorge Zuniga.He told me Howie steindler he thinks used to matchmake sometimes.My fathers name is Rafael Arechiga,he used to spar with Danny O Campo,and his brother Arturo before Danny became pro.

kikibalt
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't think i know your dad, i took over from Howie Steinder because he did't want to do it any more, it must had been around 1974-75-76 when i was doing the matchmaking ,yes i knew Jorge Zuniga , my name is Frank Baltazar, my boys Frankie and Tony Baltazar boxed lots of times at the Olypmic Aud.

Rudyrooter
06-09-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi there Mr Olympic Aud.

You mentioned that your father sparred with Arthuro O Campo.
i find this interesting in that I fought O Campo as a amature in San Diego. My forever friend Greg Beyer recently came across some old tapes and right in the middle of this tape is my fight with O Campo.
So who was your dad. Maybe I know him?

Rudy

olympic auditorium
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Rudy
What years wer you fighting?Check out my reply to Frank Baltazar.There was 3 brothers and they lived in Echo Park,CA.My father used to spar with Danny at the Main St.Gym and at his home.Danny would get the worst of it.A few years later Danny turned pro and sparred with my father.My father says theres a big difference when a pro has 8 to 10 fights and youre still an amateur.

olympic auditorium
06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Rudy
My father also fought Arturo at the Olympic.Do you know of any record books for amateurs in those days?

kikibalt
06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Nobody kept record books for amateurs

gregbeyer
06-13-2005, 09:53 PM
those amateur fights at the olympic were more like 3 round pro fights and more like what i think amateur boxing should be today. no head gear and pain counted!

the guys that turned pro after fighting in these amateur events were not so likely to be shocked at competing in their pro debuts.

BTW i remember the baltazar boys very well. tony had that freaky left hook. i thought he put howard davis on his ass enough to pull out the decision but got jobbed. i saw frankie suffer a tough KO at the hands of the very dangerous bazooka limon. i hope the boys are well these days.
greg

kikibalt
06-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Greg
The boys are doing great ,Frankie is here in La Puente Ca.,Tony & Bobby are living in Phoenix Az., Bobby too boxed pro he only had 6 fights but he won all of them 5 k.o's 1 dec.

Frank Baltazar Sr.

Chuck1052
06-16-2005, 03:08 PM
A few years ago, the Fox Sports Espanol channel
showed tapes of a number of 1960s and 1970s L.A.
area fights. Great stuff! Hope that Fox Sports
Espanol shows the said tapes again!

- Chuck Johnston