PDA

View Full Version : Carp vs Ski

greek1237
06-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Espn Classic has show this fight today, its already over.

Was amazing at Ski;s abilty to take the Frenchman's power. It was a CLEAN ko. The ref had no right to DQ Ski. Good thing the other judges change the outcome.

Roberto Aqui
06-04-2005, 01:00 AM
It was a fixed fight. Siki was supposed to be the victim. Just think of Ketchel turning the tables on Johnson. Johnson being the much bigger man was able to survive Ketchel, but Georges could not survive Siki's surprise.

The fight was filmed as part of a French bio on Carpentier the war hero. Georges got a little carried away and hurt Siki who lashed out. Siki moved to NYC after the bout and turned into a drunk and was killed in Harlem.

StingerKarl
06-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Roberto is correct.
Too bad that Siki was just out of control and an alcoholic.
He had perhaps more natural athletic ability than any lightheavyweight ever. The kid was just a tremendous physical specimen that let his wild personal life destroy him. I read that the cops were suspected of actually killing the kid because he was such a bad ass. It was in Boxing Babylon.
Karl

greek1237
06-04-2005, 02:38 AM
but this is one fight that Espn hardly shows. I not sure how often it comes on. But it seems like 2 or so years.

timayres
06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
You are right about that. Brief portions are shown during the old HBO Boxing's Best, but that's about it. I have some poor versions, and feel pretty stupid because I made a note to tape it not knowing that fight would be part of it and spaced out. For once, I will be hoping for a much-dreaded repeat from ESPN Classic. What other fights were part of the hour?

Tim

greek1237
06-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Dempsey vs Bill Brendon.

And Benny Leonard vs I forget, But Benny won. a PRIME Benny I may add.

All these fights take place before 1925.