PDA

View Full Version : DEMPSEY BREAKS GODFREYS RIBS IN 1923

mike21
02-05-2006, 04:41 PM
recently on the colored carmel kings somebody posted that dempsey broke godfreys ribs in sparring but mr. smith never saw evidence of this.itsm in the nytimes the week of sparring before the gibbons bout. after a rough session for godfrey, word was sent to dempseys camp the george suffered a couple of fractured ribs and obviously will not be returning. this was a couple of days removed from when dempsey koed and broke ben wrays jaw-he was 7 2 and they had to remove a tooth of two to feed him- thats also in thenytimes . so, mr. smith or anyone there it is. it was an interesting couple of weeks sparring wise. believe me its there -just check it out- ill try to get the exact date and quotes.thanks

mike21
02-06-2006, 11:45 AM
june 26 greatfalls montana-special to the nyt- george godrey sent word to camp that he was confinde it bed in the home of friends here with two fractured ribs, an injury he sustained last saturday in his last sparring session with the champion. this injury is expected to prevent godfrey from clashing with jack thompson in one of the preliminalries at shelby indepsendence day carnival. {godfrey was forced to pull out against thompson whom godfrey previouly tkoed . great falls montana,special to nyt june 23-the oklahoma giant showed a broken right jawbone as the swelling noted on wrays jaw yesterday proved to be a surface indication of a fraacture and the oklahomian was removed to a hospital last nightnight. today it was his jaw was wired and was being fed through a tube according to his manager.
the carnivajune 2l.{godfrey was forced to pull out, }

mike21
02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
his manager, tex mccarthy. dempsey today expressed regrets at the injury his punch produced."i did not mean to hurt. i just wanted to fool around with him for awhile" said the champion. (wray who had less than 10 fights went agaibst his managers wishes to sparr with dempsey. he was knocked unconscious in less than a round, and when he came to he said "man, he sure can hit!" as the scribe noted, he seemmed to be the only person who doubted that. wray never sparred with dempsey again.) perhaps the only way to spend any quality time in the ring with dempsey would be to move away from him, not stand there and/or close with him- its not nice to fool with mr. dempsey

mike21
02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
of course the best part was dempsey saying "i didnt mean to hurt.Ii just wanted to fool around with him for awile" thats funny as hell. there were alot of interesting and humorous events in that training camp.

Mr E
02-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Dempsey must really have been a monster. Can you imagine doing that to a guy as big, strong and good as Godfrey was wearing TRAINING gloves? Geez Louise.

mike21
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
ben wray was 7 feet 2 inches and 250 pounds.

mike21
02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
mr. e - i dont know how much you have read of various fighters sparr reports, but if you have not , its very educational; at least for me. one is constantly remined in the dempsey sparring of just how fast and damaging he was- always blood in the ring, red blocthes on his oppent were his gloves landed with" incredible force and pile driven".hell, dempsey even twice disolcated and broke elbows to sparring partners. they reports are all well detailed usually two colums long in the nyt.anyhow re-reading the above sparring sessions reminded me the impact dempsey had on all invloved.