PDA

View Full Version : UFC 130:Maynard and Edgar both out injured

doomeddisciple
05-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Injuries have sidelined both Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, forcing the cancellation of UFC 130's main event fight, MMA Fighting has learned.

UFC president Dana White confirmed to MMA Fighting that both fighters are out.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Edgar had the more serious injury of the two, suffering two broken ribs during training, while Maynard suffered a knee injury.

The bout would have been the last of the trilogy. Maynard won the first bout in April 2008 in a unanimous decision. In January, the rematch ended in an all-time classic, with Maynard nearly knocking out the champion in the first round before Edgar rebounded with a gutsy performance to force a five-round draw.

Maynard-Edgar III is likely to happen in the future, but there is no timetable yet for its scheduling. With the recovery time of both men expected to be in the 6-to-8 week range, White suggested that it could be slotted into an August or September show.

With no replacement fight, Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Hamill will be promoted to the main event, while Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson is the co-main event. A welterweight fight pitting Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story has been moved into the main card from the prelims.

UFC 130 takes place on May 28 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

-----------------------

One of the things that has always separated the UFC from sports leagues like the NFL, NBA and MLB is the lack of insurance for UFC fighters for injuries suffered outside the Octagon. But as the UFC grows, that appears to be changing.

Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC and Strikeforce, has announced that its 350 or so fighters, who are all independent contractors, will now be eligible for what it calls "customized accident insurance coverage." The policy will cover not just accidental injuries suffered in training, but also injuries suffered in car accidents or other injuries that have nothing to do with the fighters' MMA careers.

"As this sport continues to grow, we have been working hard to secure additional insurance coverage so that our athletes can perform at the highest levels," UFC President Dana White said in the announcement. "We're proud to give our athletes access to this type of insurance."

Almost as significant as the insurance policy is the fact that the UFC is making a point of publicly addressing the insurance policy. The UFC may be taking note of the fact that other sports leagues -- especially the NFL -- have been criticized for not taking proper care of athletes who suffer injuries, and wanting to get ahead of that issue. UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta issued a statement explaining the reasoning behind the new insurance policy and will participate in a media conference call to provide more information.

"Our athletes are some of the very best in the world and we've committed significant financial resources to provide them with insurance that complements the gold standard we have set for event-related coverage," Fertitta said. "We're pleased to provide coverage that enables our athletes to seek and receive treatment for injuries sustained while preparing for bouts."

This is a step in the right direction.

Dogman_Tony
05-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Bummer. Jackson-Hamill's a pretty sucky main event. They ought to make this a free show.

doomeddisciple
05-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I totally concur, the card is a blowout really.

The Welterweight Epitome
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeh, terrible card. Doubt I will watch this one, maybe just the Alvez fight at a local bar.

Dogman_Tony
05-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Mir-Nelson is a fun match-up, but as a co-feature it's pretty lame.

The Welterweight Epitome
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Yeh, I just don't like watching Mir at all. Can't stand the guy.

JaKob
05-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Jackson vs Hamil is reasonably interesting. Hamil has heavy hands but a terrible tendancy to drop his hands low and he could really pay the price in this one. If he uses his wrestling, turns up the workrate, uses his conditioning he could have success.

doomeddisciple
05-15-2011, 09:54 PM
In all honesty this should have the number removed and be made a Fight Night.

Michael Frank
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
I understand and concur with everyone's sentiments, relatively speaking.

But I'll take the quality of this card over pretty much any boxing card in the last decade-plus. Wish it weren't so . . .

I am sure I'll enjoy this card, barren as it is of current champions or truly compelling matchups. I can't remember not enjoying a UFC card.

Dogman_Tony
05-17-2011, 05:19 AM
I know what you're saying, Michael, and I basically agree, though I found Pac-Mosely pretty darned close in quality to GSP-Shields, the main events a bust and and the undercards providing some good moments. For me, it depends whether they show the Torres fight. That would make it worth it. I'm simply not intrigued by much on the card though I'll probably buy it.

The Welterweight Epitome
05-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Well given we are all disappointed by the Main Card being scrapped, who are your guys picks for this? Think I will watch it afterall.

Although a lot of these fights could be very competitive.........

I just wish Oliveira was on the main card or at least the Prelims! Won't even get to watch him!

Dogman_Tony
05-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Rampage wins by TKO 2
Nelson by decision
ALves-Story, flip a coin. Alves?
Struve by sub
Stann-Santiago--who knows? Stann's hotter, but Santiago's not unhot. Santiago, maybe.
Boetch by TKO
My head says Johnson, but my heart says Torres--going with my heart.

The Welterweight Epitome
05-29-2011, 10:10 PM
2 out of 7 DT. Weird card indeed! I was bored to tears TBH, haven't been that bored in a UFC card before.

doomeddisciple
05-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Two main event fight's were yawners.

diggity
05-30-2011, 01:20 PM
What a waste of money. Thank god I didn't cave in & buy it.
I felt like both co-main events were in slow motion.
Very disappointing.

I enjoyed the Torres-Mighty Mouse fight.
Torres reminded me that fights that go to the ground can still be entertaining.
I feel like that's been a lost art lately.
I was kind of left with the feeling like Torres won at the end but that could have just been me blinded by my poms poms.

I didn't get to watch the Grove fight yet. Was it any good?

Dogman_Tony
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Missed the Grove fight, Dig, but I thought Torres won as well--Johnson didn't do shit with his TDs. But still it was a high level fight, unlike most on the card.

Alves...I'm through with that guy. He shows no capacity to learn.

Mir moves like a Macy's Thanksgiving day parade float at 260. I thought Nelson would outspeed him, and he did, but Mir was just too strong.

Oh well. hope for better this weekend with Guida-Pettis.

JaKob
06-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I agree. Thiago has awesome stand-up. But he's just another one of these guys failing to adapt to wrestling. That being said Story didn't exactly put on the most inspiring performance. Regardless he made it his fight and Thiago failed to prevent this. If this fight was indicative of anything... it's that a rematch with GSP would be nothing more than a replay of the first. A stint with Jackson and a lesson on octagon control might do a guy like Alves a world of good.