PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Sam Langford

jdemont
07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi:

I'm writing a fictionalized biography of Sam Langford the great early-20th-century fighter from Weymouth, Nova Scotia.
Information on the Boston Tar Baby is in short supply, so if anyone can point me towards any good sources that would be a great help. Also, I'm looking for anything about his manager Sam Woodman and Al Laney, a New York fight writer who discovered Langford, blind and broke, in a Harlem tenament in 1944.

best wishes from Halifax (home of George Dixon)

John DeMont

BDeskins
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
You should be able to find a ton of material going through the microfilm of the following papers:

Boston Globe
Boston Post
Boston Evening News
National Police Gazette
Nat Fleischer's Black Dynamite, Vol. 4

Clay Moyle is also writing a book on Langford, which the last time I heard he had around 20+ chapters already written, but Langford in my opinion doesn't have nearly enough information in the form of books...no biography had ever been published in the past 100 years.

PeteLeo
07-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Books and testimonials are great, but personally I wish we had about a ton more film of the guy in action, especially in his younger days during the lightweight/welterweight adventures. Maybe that mysterious millionaire who has most of the early fight footage (including Greb-Walker) squirreled away in his private vault will take pity on us poor fanatics and release all of the aging gems before another hundred years race by. PeteLeo.

Chuck1052
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Nat Fleischer's BLACK DYNAMITE series is interesting
reading and provides researchers with alot of leads,
but also contains LOTS of errors.

- Chuck Johnston

Chuck1052
07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
There must be a wealth of material on Sam Langford
in a large number of newspapers since he fought in
fight venues in many parts of the world. I do know
that there was quite a bit of coverage on Langford
in the Los Angeles Times and the San Francisco
Chronicle as well as a number of other California
newspapers.

- Chuck Johnston

jdemont
07-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Great Chuck. Thanks for the leads.

BDeskins
07-20-2005, 11:58 PM
www.newspaperarchive.com, a fee based newspaper archive has a ton of material on Langford!