PDA

View Full Version : 100 Most Beloved Athletes In Sports History

GorDoom
06-23-2011, 12:48 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/741676-the-100-most-beloved-athletes-in-sports-history

HandToMouth
06-23-2011, 02:41 PM
dempsey no where on the list, let alone top 10... moron writer w/o any conception of historical or societal impact to the growth of sports & its impact to the culture.

HandToMouth
06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
furthermore, boxing thru the '80's, was anywhere from the 2-4th most popular pro sport in the usa throughout the 20th century, w/ its biggest matchups becoming events that could rival superbowls in re to media and cultural attention.

dempsey gate/impact wise along w/ the timing of his popularity in the emergence of the electronic & celebrity template of the roaring '20's arguably, along w/ ruth, was sports first mass crossover star. he was the 1st or 2nd biggest sport celebrity of the golden era of sports. he, not ruth, created mass attended gated events & ushered radio and national electronic wired media to sports events. & yet he gets no mention???

thats my problem w/ many writers under 40, they dont do their homework. they parrot only what they hear in their own video centric orbit.

by the way where is robinson???

& if your going to rate on the basis of his criteria, why isnt namath much higher. it was his ascendency that coincided w/ the nfl merger & the nfl becoming by far the #1 watched sports in the usa... not to mention he was the first color tv marketed celebrity crossover star in sports. at his height of fame, considering the media capacity at the time, his popularity & impact to athletes as cultural stars was close to jordon level.

in re to dempsey I do think the color line aspect of his career makes it easier (combined w/ lack of historical knowledge or homework) for many modern pc sensitive writers to write him off.

GorDoom
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
You gotta remember HTM, Dempsey was what 80-90 years ago? To us boxing fans his star shines as brightly as it did in 1921 but to these younger writers he's not just ancient history, he's mouldering & forgotten.

I mean how many articles are still touting Jim Thorpe as the greatest athlete ever? Hey, I don't condone it but it's reality. Hell, I was surprised he included Ernie Banks.

GorDoom