PDA

View Full Version : Basilio vs. Sugar Ray Leonard @ 147

Newpoppop
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Would Carmen's toughness prevail over Leonard's speed?

walsh b
01-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Nobody but Ray Robinson beats Leonard at 147lbs.....

gazot
01-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Well Duran did beat him at 147 and if Leonard decides to play macho man I could see the same result. Leonard has the style to win but he has to use it. Basillio was an animal in the ring and should not be underestimated.

walsh b
01-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I guess I walked into that one. You are right, Duran did beat him fair and square and Basilio has a great chance. I see it as very close with Ray's footwork and speed winning for him, providing of course he doesn't try to outslug or KO Carmen and wind up losing a close decision himself

olympic auditorium
01-19-2006, 08:31 PM
LEONARD BY WAY OF DECISION

Steve McV
01-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Have to agree with the majority here. Taking nothing away from Basilio, a true ring warrior if one ever existed, but I think this boils down to the classic boxer/slugger question: can the faster guy keep his distance, pile up points, and keep his ass off the canvas?

Not that Basilio was an unskilled stumble-bum, he wasn't. I just don't think he had enough speed to catch Leonard or enough power to take Sugar Ray out with one shot if he should occasionally catch up. Basilio will land some body shots, but if Leonard stays off the ropes for the duration of the fight, he wins.

If Ray slows down... man, at that point, Basilio makes the fight a question of heart and manhood. And you know, Ray didn't lack either. Carmen would punish him, but if Duran couldn't put Ray down, I don't think Basilio could.

I'm pretty sure Leonard had the reach advantage, right?

Damn it, do I sound like I'm putting Basilio down? I sure don't mean to. He was a terrific fighter. I mean, ever see Basilio-Fullmer? Christ! Those two guys would take any middleweight in history, both Sugar Rays included, to hell and back. You wanna find out if your fighter is a warrior? Put him in the ring with either of these guys!

dnahar
01-24-2006, 03:58 AM
I like Leonard as well by decision for one fight, but Basilio would win one out of three in a series. Unlike Hearns (not as busy punchwise), Duran (not a natural welter), and Benitez (trained a week), Basilio would pressure Leonard more than anyone he faced at welterweight. Combine that with low blows and other tactics to sap Leonard's speed, and I think the pressure would eventually get to Leonard in at least one out of three fights.

But for one fight, I think Leonard holds him off and wins a narrow decision.

Deepak