PDA

View Full Version : Recent matches made and your thoughts.....?

The Welterweight Epitome
07-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Donald Cerrone V Charles Oliveira.

Brian Stann V Chael Sonnen.

Two very interesting match-ups......who wins and why? Both are sure to put either guy right near the top of their division and maybe a fight or two away from a title.

doomeddisciple
07-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Interested in both matches.

Sonnen needs a fight to chake of rust before taking on a Blackhouse fighter, who he has been ripping on for months now.

Of course Stann potentially will knock the rust clear off of Sonnen, however Stann didn't handle Davis' superior wrestling that well and Sonnen is bloody good at getting the takedown.

I'm just interested in watching Cerrone and Oliveria fight again full stop.

The Welterweight Epitome
07-08-2011, 06:51 AM
lol are you talking about Silva or Machida as that blackhouse fighter dooms? Sonnen was meant to fight Machida 'on the way back down to middle' so I doubt after fighting at middle, he will move up to face Machida, at least not unless he is no longer in the title picture at middle. But Machida is just all wrong for Sonnen.

I think Sonnen is one of the best wrestlers in MMA so should get Stann down. He also has some whiskers on him right? Don't ever remember seeing any fight of his where he was seriously even hurt. I imagine he won't want to stand with Stann for long though, but should be able to get him down and grind out a decision.

Where do you think the Cerrone V Oliveira fight takes place? I think Cerrone should be able to dictate if it goes to the ground or not, but which one does he pick?

doomeddisciple
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I think after his Hilawani rant backstage interview from the other thread, that Chale would wana be careful bumping into big Nog in the hallway at UFC headquarters lest he get a carrot shoved up his ass.

Cerrone's leg kicks looked great last time out, he's a little taller than Oliveria, he may well keep it standing and use his range.

JaKob
07-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Machida is all wrong for sonnen i agree WW. Machida is incredibly hard to takedown and elusive. He is all about controlling the distance. Sonnen has decent hands but his style is that of a grinding pressure fighter. He'll come forward at all costs and impose his wrestling. You rush in against Machida and he'll make you pay. If you don't have the level of striking to cut him off with calculated aggression he'll pick you apart from his range. Machida is one of those few fighters who can fight really effectively in retreat, standing relatively square providing a solid base for takedown defense. Confident Sonnen would come up short here. People point to the anderson fight. Machida is a much bigger and even cagier opponent. Sonnen was able to capture momentum early and this was done via his hands. Anderson looked off in that fight. He stood in Sonnens range and got caught with left hands he shouldn't have been caught with. Machida wouldn't make this mistake.

I think Brian stann could come up short here. Sonnen should be able to grind this out. That being said theres a chance Sonnen has significant octagon rust and could simply get caught on the feet and finished.

The Welterweight Epitome
07-16-2011, 03:36 AM
Agree there Jakob and apparently, according to the stats, Machida has the second best TDD in MMA. Pretty incredible!

I can't really think of many times I've seen Sonnen hit and stunned in a fight except against Babalu. Although looking at his record, he has been stopped once by TKO. Think the Stann fight is a pretty easy win for Sonnen TBH, just can't see him not being able to drag Stan to the ground and it's not like Stann is an elusive striker who uses his range well like Machida.

On another note, some other huge matches:

Aldo V Florian
Edgar V Maynard
Rashad V Tito

Husker
07-16-2011, 06:14 PM
In all seriousness, I feel like I've seen Evans-Ortiz before, is this a rematch? Give me Evans. I didn't see Tito's upset, but he isn't exactly mobile anymore from the half dozen fights prior. I think Rashad can pick and choose how he wants to win this.

As long as K-Flo has been around, there should be nothing he hasn't seen...except for Aldo. Jose is nasty and explosive, but imo, this is still a step up for him and he better get it done or NOT run out of gas like he did his last time out. I'll take Aldo, he's generation next.

Stann's ONLY chance is a bomb. My pick is Sonnen, but Stann has serious one-shot power, the kind that would keep me from betting on this. In boxing, power is so much more of an equalizer, in MMA, it's just one of 62 billion other things.

I know it was only one out of 10 rounds, but Maynard beat the crap out of Edgar in that one round and I just can't shake that image.

The one I'm looking forward to is Hendo and Fedor. Given the way I don't follow current events, it was last weekend or tonight. lol. I think this will be edge oif your seat and I have no idea how this plays out or who wins.

The Welterweight Epitome
07-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Fedor V Hendo is at the end of this month Husk. I have to take Fedor in this, but I will be pulling for Hendo. Great matchup of two pioneers!

Agreed on Evans V Ortiz. Evans any ways he likes. Tito really landed one good punch on Bader and then pulled into a guillotine, not exactly like he was dominating. Just one of those things that can happen in fighting so I just don't see it as 'Tito is back'.

I think K-Flo uses the jab well against Aldo and actually does well thjrough 3, perhaps even wins 2 of the first 3. But Florian is 35 odd now so won't be able to sustain a high pace for 5 rounds as evidenced by his last fight where he was looking gassed in the 3rd. I think it will be close but Aldo will come on late and those leg kicks will take their toll. Give me Aldo by late stoppage.

I don't know WTF has happened to Edgars wrestling, but it has become some of the best in MMA. The way he threw BJ around in their 2nd fight and the way he outwrested Maynard was impressive. I don't think Maynard can lay and pray to a decision here but at the same time I was impressed with Maynards boxing skills and how much they have improved. Although I think coming off the second BJ fight, Edgar came out a bit too quick and not respectful enough of Maynards boxing. I think Edgar is a big more cautious early in this one and ends up taking a clear decision here. Other than Guillard and Maynard, I don't see much threat to Edgar at 155.

Husker
07-17-2011, 12:24 AM
I'll be pulling for Henderson, too. Ever since Rampage said "i don't like Dan Henderson, I love him", I've always liked him. I know that sounds strange, but I figured if such a hard-ass as Jackson thought so much of the guy, I should, too. Since then, I've caught a lot of Hendo's career and he's absolutely one of my favorites. What he did to the Axe Murderer was scary and I really, really thought he was about to upset Anderson Silva. Still perturbed by how quickly that fight changed. I think Fedor's age has finally caught up with the size he almost always gave up. No way I see todays Bigfoot even being competetive with the Emilienko from five years ago. I think he stops Dan in a thriller. Too calculating and heavy-handed.

Still haven't seen Edgar-Penn 2 in some idiotic protest because I thought BJ won the first one. Maynard's a great wrestler, imo, and if you're saying Edgars is comparable to his now, well ole Grey might be in trouble. As much as I respect Matt Hughes, wasn't he the one who really started all of that lay and pray crap? I know Fitch has taken it to new levels (blecch!) and I've seen Maynard rely on it, but from what I recall of the two Edgar fights, they were marked by some back and forth stand-up and I thought Grey controlled that. I'll defer to you on this one, but regardless, I'm looking forward to the rubber match a whole lot more than I was the first one.

It's funny, lifelong boxing junkie me can not think of one boxing match that can be made that I would rather see than any of these fights (except Evans-Ortiz). Not even Mayweather-Pacquaio. Don't get me wrong, that fight getting done would have me doing back flips, but boxing has clearly moved behind MMA on my to-do list. After getting hyped (I know, I'm a moron) by Klitschko-Haye only to get brutally let down and then the disgust of the Williams-Lara decision (my 45-year old, ice cream and doughnut cocktail through an IV, bad kneed, idiot self had as much a chance of beating Lara as Williams actually did), combined with the mediocrity of the last decade, its hard to care.

That amazes me, because not very long ago, when I was posting at BoxingTalk, I noticed some folks talking about Iceman vs Tito in a rematch and I thought the topic was pro wrestling. The first time I saw Royce Gracie, he was getting pounded by Hughes on tape and the first time I saw Shogun live, he got submitted by Forrest Griffin. I had no idea I would fall in love with this like I have, definitely never imagined it taking the place of the sweet science for me. I spend so much time watching youtube, spike, etc. playing catch-up that it's almost obsessive.

JaKob
07-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Fedor V Hendo is at the end of this month Husk. I have to take Fedor in this, but I will be pulling for Hendo. Great matchup of two pioneers!

Agreed on Evans V Ortiz. Evans any ways he likes. Tito really landed one good punch on Bader and then pulled into a guillotine, not exactly like he was dominating. Just one of those things that can happen in fighting so I just don't see it as 'Tito is back'.

I think K-Flo uses the jab well against Aldo and actually does well thjrough 3, perhaps even wins 2 of the first 3. But Florian is 35 odd now so won't be able to sustain a high pace for 5 rounds as evidenced by his last fight where he was looking gassed in the 3rd. I think it will be close but Aldo will come on late and those leg kicks will take their toll. Give me Aldo by late stoppage.

I don't know WTF has happened to Edgars wrestling, but it has become some of the best in MMA. The way he threw BJ around in their 2nd fight and the way he outwrested Maynard was impressive. I don't think Maynard can lay and pray to a decision here but at the same time I was impressed with Maynards boxing skills and how much they have improved. Although I think coming off the second BJ fight, Edgar came out a bit too quick and not respectful enough of Maynards boxing. I think Edgar is a big more cautious early in this one and ends up taking a clear decision here. Other than Guillard and Maynard, I don't see much threat to Edgar at 155.

Agree. I think Florian is a clever, skilled fighter who makes the most of what he has. Unfortunately he isn't extraordinarily gifted in the way the top tier guys are and i think he'll always fall short. This fight against Aldo is no exception. Aldo's raw athleticism and talent is far too much for florian. Florian's size isn't enough to offset the speed, intensity, and skill of the likes of Aldo.

Edgar is probably may favourite fighter at the moment. My biggest pet peeves in combat sports are guys with talent who aren't in top condition or for whatever reason fail to really push the pace when they need to. Edgar is the opposite. Always in top notch condition, thrives in adversity, and pushes the pace for every second of every round. Leaves it all out there. When you combine that character with top notch skills it produces an amazing fighter.

Rashads come along way since his last fight. I think Tito was impressive in his last match atleast relative to his other performances. He stood right in the pocket and gave himself the chance to win. He's a Wiley veteran now and you can never rule him out but i think Evans dominates.

I pick Fedor over Hendo for sure. Fedor has shown the strength, durability, and punching power to dominate at heavyweight. He'd have to be really diminished to lose this i think. And maybe he is... but i doubt it.

The Welterweight Epitome
07-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Very very very good point Jakob. Unfortunately BJ is my favourite fighter, but it is a pet peeve of mine too when guys come out of condition. So frustrating, painful. Edgar is becoming one of my favourite fighters also. He has the heart of a champion and some incredible skills both wrestling and on the feet. He has developed into one of the very best true mixed martial artists on the planet and yet still doesn't get his due. I think that will all change should he beat Maynard in their rematch and I think he will.

Husker, hahaha, good reason to love Hendo! On the BJ V Edgar first fight, I thought it was very close, Penn could have easily come away with the UD instead. But yes, Edgars wrestling is on an entire different level lately. The rematch with Maynard is sure to be a cracker.

I'm with you on the boxing. I was watching some documentary last night on Joe Louis and I felt so much pride in boxing, but then remembered the current reality where despite there being some top notch fighters around, all the other BS that goes along with it has made it a complete farse. The marketing engine that is the UFC has just come right over the top of it. Boxing will always hold a fond place in my heart, my first true love, but I watch more MMA now however still cheer for the guys who know how to use their fists, despite them being few and far between (Edgar, Penn, JDS).

As for you playing catch-up Husker, hahahahaha, I know the feeling!!! I only started following MMA closely probably a year ago, starting just with the UFC and now all the other promotions. I probably watch 3 hours a day of it for a year now (eek, I know, it becomes overloading)! But I have caught up on most of it now including all but 2 TUF seasons and understand all the different elements of it now.

My first memories of watching MMA were of Royce and being like WTF is he doing, I had no interest at all. Then I watched Belfort destroy Wand and was like, oh, this is cool. I tried to get more into it, but after watching Couture dominate shortly after that, I was bored to tears with all the holding. It wasn't until a year ago that I put in the effort to understand the grappling element of the game that it really caught my imagination. Now the things I only thought worked in movies (like flying knees) are prooving real-life knockouts! Watch Spencer Fisher V Wiman!!! Damn!

My one last thought is I really hope the sweet science can live on and these two sports are mutually exclusive, drawing fans to one another. I love MMA, but to see boxing totally disappear after once being the biggest sport on the planet, will be a very sad day for me. Infact I would say I will be truly heartbroken.

Off The River
07-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I've been following MMA from the beginning. I started watching it in university and hve always loved the contrast in styles. Watching it evolve is perhaps the most amzing thing about it. Now the fighters are so well rounded; with such a skillset that even a strict boxing fan should be able to appreciate what he sees in the ring.

As much as I love MMA and participate in martial arts, I still love a good classic boxing match over a classic MMA fight. The Match between Rios and Antillon is a prime example.

But you guys are 100% correct when you say the UFC has boxing beat with regards to the way they operate. I still remain optimistic think that there will still be a saviour of boxing to come along and make things right. Untill then, I'll just keep enjoying the fights they give us in both sports.

Really looking forward to Hendo vs Fedor. Fedor is perhaps my faorite fighter of all time. But Henderson is a great guy too. I think he will be too much for Dan in this one.

The Welterweight Epitome
07-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Yeh, I could tell yourself and a few others here have been watching MMA since the early days OTR.

That's why I've been watching so much of it, to catch up on it all and be able to put things in context. Think I'm there now and with so many fights these days in MMA, there isn't too much time to watch the oldies.

BTW, Reem out of SF tournament......that was from left field and things like this, plus the injuries are what is really prooving the biggest fight of all MMA has at the moment. Lil Nog already out of UFC rio also.

Off The River
07-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Well. I'd have to say, you've caught up with the pack. Plus you bring a keen boxing eye into the mix.

I can't beleive that Overeem is out! I'd hate to see a broken toe of all things ruin the tournament. Hopefully they can work something out.

I really don't knwo that to think about the injuries, I've already suggested PED's perhaps the new insurance for fighters in the UFC is a big part of it.

The Welterweight Epitome
07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Cheers OTR.

I'm hoping Reem is put back into the tournament also, surely Showtime can fix another date.

That or a move to the UFC perhaps, given if he doesn't partake in the tournament, there really isn't much left for him in SF.........unless of course they put him in with Fedor should he beat Hendo in a wk and a half, now that would be interesting...........