PDA

View Full Version : James ''Broad Axe'' Broad

Slick Skillet Mayhand
09-21-2005, 11:56 PM
He is probably best known for knocking out Marvis Frazier as an amateur. I know that he died some years ago, but what happened to him?

PeteLeo
09-22-2005, 12:33 AM
I don't have much info to impart, but I believe it was another sad boxing story. If memory serves, James became homeless and died of natural causes (including diabetes, I think) in a bus station. If boxing is going to continue, it seriously needs a national commission worth its salt and some sort of retirement plan. PeteLeo.

blv30
10-14-2005, 11:53 AM
I really feel bad about James dying.I felt if he lost a lot of his weight, he could've been a serious contender in the heavyweight sweepstakes at that time.

Overhand_Right
07-19-2006, 07:17 AM
JB supposedly died in 2001 however it was my snooping around that unearthed that 'a' James Broad died in North Carolina a couple of years after the actual death.

A woman named Jean Monks had been trying to help him around 1999 iforget her exact words she had no knowledge of boxing but somehow stumbled across him in a Las Vegas bus station. she told me he was in his 40s but moved like he was a 100. He was homeless and his mind was pretty muddled. He had pneumonia but refused to go to hospital because he didnt trust them. She was trying to get back in touch with his family in NC because nobody was interested in helping him in Vegas.

Judging by the obvious poor physical health he was in its conceivable that he would be dead now, however he was a big, unco-operative guy who was no longer mentally sound yet supposedly he made his way home to NC?

Its possible but it doesnt totally add up, its possible that another James Broad with the same DOB died in NC in 2001 because it was not reported at all in the boxing press til 2 yrs later.

For all we know Broad-Axe is hanging out with Candy Slim in Vegas harrassing passers by for loose change? I for one am not totally convinced he is deceased until a friend or family can actually confirm it, which seems an unlikely scenario.

KOJOE90
05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Any updates on Broad X-Files research Overhand?

Slick Skillet Mayhand
05-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I think this pretty much settles it:http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193044

sr71ko
05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
He is probably best known for knocking out Marvis Frazier as an amateur. I know that he died some years ago, but what happened to him?
That was one heck of a kayo. I can't believe that was nearly 30 years ago....yet I still remember it! I wish that James Broad would have had a chance to compete in the Olympics. Broad vs. Steveson of Cuba could have been quite interesting. It does suck that he died the way he did. I wish that boxers would have a pension like they do in baseball, football, and other sports.

StingerKarl
05-24-2009, 12:41 AM
I saw James at the Showboat in Vegas in 1989 on a fight card which had Vince Phillips on it if memory serves me correct, an ESPN date because Al Bernstein was selling his records (nice guy), and the main event was Orlin Norris against some slow fighter from Dallas, I think.

He was wearing blue sweats and ate hot dog after hot dog, and drank soda after soda, and was sitting with Terry Norris who had just been cold cocked by Julian Jackson, true story.

Overhand_Right
06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I think this pretty much settles it:http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193044

I dont think that settles it really, as that article was written years after the supposed death.

mrbig1
06-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't have much info to impart, but I believe it was another sad boxing story. If memory serves, James became homeless and died of natural causes (including diabetes, I think) in a bus station. If boxing is going to continue, it seriously needs a national commission worth its salt and some sort of retirement plan. PeteLeo.
That is so long overdue.

sr71ko
06-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Amen.

Slick Skillet Mayhand
07-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I dont think that settles it really, as that article was written years after the supposed death.

James Willie Broad or Willie James Broad (names listed both ways, don't know which is correct), last known address, Las Vegas, NV. Birthdate Jan. 27, 1958.

Social Security Death Index entry on James W. Broad: Jan. 27, 1958 - Nov. 20, 2001. Last recorded residence, Greensboro, NC.

Admittedly, it falls short of actual proof, but it looks pretty convincing. What do you have that controverts it?

Overhand_Right
07-06-2009, 06:34 AM
I have absolutely nothing that controverts it, just my own delusions!

Broad lives, man.