08-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Main CardMiddleweight Championship: Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami
Light Heavyweight bout: Maurício Rua vs. Forrest Griffin
Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza
Light Heavyweight bout: Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov

Preliminary Card (Televised)Lightweight bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Spencer Fisher
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller

Should be a really good card. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how much Schuab has improved. This kid has really shown a lot of potential and if he can handle Nog's ground game, he should get the win.

It's hard to bet against Silva. I think Okami does have a chance if he can get inside. He's a strong guy, but Silva is Silva.

We'll see how much Rua has left in this match. The knee seems to be either a chronic problem, or a chronic excuse. Griffin is so big and strong that if it goes the distance, he should be able to outwork Rua for the won.

The Welterweight Epitome
08-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Yeh, Silva hard to bet against given this is also over 5 rounds. Can't see Okami stopping him and Silva is going to get many opportunities to either KO him cold or rock him enough to take his back and submit him. With the right game plan and a bit of luck, I think Okami can get the job done, but wouldn't bet on it.

Rua should win if he comes in shape, although I'm a bit over fighters like at the moment, supporting them only to see them turn up and gas after 3 minutes!

Schaub should win, he does have more potential than most HWs, but I think he would be ruined by a JDS even after having longer to develop.

The best bout here should be Barboza, I expect him to take care of Pearson pretty handily and put himself up there for some match-ups with the better competition at LW.

Tavares V Fisher should be a war and it's always fun to watch Palhares attack a leg!

Off The River
08-26-2011, 03:53 AM
I don't know anything about Pearson, but I agree, the one fight I saw Barbosa in was very impressive.

Palhares should be intersting, a submission artist against a guy who is really tough to submit.

diggity
08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
The Shogun fight should be a decent scrap.
Good card all around.
Shame I wont be around to watch it live.

With all of the upsets lately, I"m just about waiting for Silva to lose these days.

GorDoom
08-26-2011, 12:53 PM
UFC 134 Predictions

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/820686-ufc-134-card-bleacher-report-mma-staff-predictions

GorDoom
08-27-2011, 02:10 PM
5 KO Predictions

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/822656-ufc-134-fight-card-5-fights-that-will-end-in-a-knockout

The Welterweight Epitome
08-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Given my love for the sweet science, I also like to see the technical skills of MMA. But I have to say I was yet again disappointed by all the early KOs on this card. It seems learn to punch as quick and explosive as you can and get TDD and you can just about beat anyone.

Barboza really disappointed me with his 0 lateral movement or footwork. He went backwards in a straight line time and again and is going to be knocked out badly one day doing that. The footwork of most MMA guys is abysmal.

Silva on the other hand, turned it up and left me happy to watch such a skillful practitioner and a fight that at least made it to the 2nd round, long enough to appreciate the 'sweet science' of MMA.

That said, Okami pure and simple quit. He was knocked down the second time and you could see his eyes and expression just give up and cover up. But Silva is just a master.

GorDoom
08-28-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/27/ufc-134-results-silva-vs-okami/?ncid=webmail4

diggity
08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I was also disappointed in the quick KOs but these were still good matchups.
It's just the way it shakes out sometimes.

Silva just continues to be scary.
His quickness and cockiness last night reminded me of a prime RJJ.

Pearson put up a great effort against Barboza.
I'm not so sure how much you can get on Barboza for that.
The Brit just brought it.

As for Griffin, what can you say.
Some nights he is going to make life hell for anyone and other nights he is going to get his clock cleaned.

I was really hoping the Nog-Schaub fight would go some rounds.
I had a feeling Nog was going to pull this off considering the stage he was on.
I saw more determination in him the other night than I've seen in him in a while.

Michael Frank
08-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Silva also has an inhumanly hard head.

Sonnen had beat on that head all night for 4 1/2 rounds and it didn't slow down Silva one bit. He wasn't cracked on the chin, but was hit all over his head by Sonnen . . . showing little bruising, at all, after the fight.

I think this resistance to punches is an unspoken secret weapon for Anderson. Everyone gets hit, but he's one guy who is never even mildly hurt.

diggity
08-28-2011, 06:46 PM
He in fact did get tagged by one hard straight right hand right by Okami before the end of the fight and I was shocked by how easily he dismissed it.

The Welterweight Epitome
08-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Pearson put up a great effort against Barboza.
I'm not so sure how much you can get on Barboza for that.
The Brit just brought it.

Yes he bought it, but look at the difference between how Silva deals with an onrushing opponent, he uses subtle movement and angles. Barboza was literally doing a Zab Judah. In and out in a straight line. I guess I'm only on him because I had great hopes for him, I thought he was going to be the next Aldo at LW, but in retrospect, Aldos subtle movement and defense is in a different league to Barboza.

Off The River
08-29-2011, 04:29 AM
Barboza showed good speed, but you are right, he could show some better angles. He was lucky to get the win. Not a robbery by any means, but a close fight.

Nog really impressed me. He's still a factor and a durable guy. I wonder if Shuab's chin will be his biggest problem. He was doing well up to the point of being KO'd.

Man, Silva is like a freaking hypnotist in there. I can't beleive he generates so much power in his jab. That's the second durable guy he put on his ass with a jab. The way the guy moves his hips in there... always poised to strike. I'm hoping to see him move up in weight, because I don't think anyone has a chance south of 205.

The Welterweight Epitome
08-29-2011, 07:12 AM
I really wish they would put GSP against him. GSP doesn't need to move to MW permanently, just step up for a super fight. Will simply mean GSP doesn't have to cut like normal. Jon Jones V Silva shouldn't even be mentioned, Jones still has several guys to beat at LHW whereas GSP and Anderson have completely dominated and cleaned out their respective divisions. In 20 years time, it is a fight the fans will always ask, who would have won? Well, let's find out before it's too late, Anderson isn't getting any younger.

But no doubt, he is an absolute beast on the feet.

Michael Frank
08-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I really wish they would put GSP against him. GSP doesn't need to move to MW permanently, just step up for a super fight. Will simply mean GSP doesn't have to cut like normal. Jon Jones V Silva shouldn't even be mentioned, Jones still has several guys to beat at LHW whereas GSP and Anderson have completely dominated and cleaned out their respective divisions. In 20 years time, it is a fight the fans will always ask, who would have won? Well, let's find out before it's too late, Anderson isn't getting any younger.

But no doubt, he is an absolute beast on the feet.

Funny, I'd pick Jones over Silva right now at whatever weight they could both agree to if not below 198 lbs. And if I'm wrong, then it makes it fairer that Silva would spot so much weight to Jones.

I don't see GSP beating Silva at all. I love GSP to death, but his size and lack of power at 185 or even 180 would be SO evident against Anderson. His skills aren't greater, either, just different.

My opinion, anyway.

The Welterweight Epitome
08-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeh, well mine isn't a Q of who would win, just of who both GSP and Silva have left. I think Jon Jones needs to provea lot more in his division before he should be getting any super-fight! GSP and Anderson on the other hand, have cleaned house. Condit if he beats Penn may deserve a shot, and perhaps Anthony Johnson down the line. But other than that, nobody else is really deserving. Anderson on the other hand, could fight the winner of Stann V Sonnen and then Munoz potentially after that. But that is a couple of half-deserved fights for each guy and it's a wrap.

doomeddisciple
08-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Sonnen did sneak a right hand or two through Silva's defence and caught him on the chin MF. But the only reason I would want to see a rematch is to watch Sonnen loose again.

I scored the fight for Pearson, was overjoyed for Big Nog, thought Forrest looked terrible and Silva is looking amazing.

I would personally prefer to see Silva go to 205 rather than fight GSP. Unless the UFC want Silva to take out GSP AND the 205 lbs division as well.

Silva moving up and taking the 205 belt would be great though.

TWE - I don't think Munoz is necesarily a must see for Silva, Silva just destoryed the guy that dominated Munoz in Okami and really Sonnen is the only other fight at 185 that should happen before the ascent to 205.

The Welterweight Epitome
09-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Exactly Dooms. I am only talking about what is left for GSP and Silva and to be honest, both have guys left that they will likely easily dominate. This is why I think it is the only fight that makes sense. The 205 division on the other hand has a lot of sorting out to do, Jon Jones hasn't even begun to fight the best yet, Rashad and Lyoto are still must see fights for him and that is after/if he gets past Rampage.

Dogman_Tony
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
The main thing standing in the way of GSP-Silva is GSP. He shows no desire to make that fight, and I just don't think we're going to see it.

Husker
09-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Personally, I don't think Silva-St.Pierre could even approach being competetive and if I were GSP, I don't think I'd desire to get my tail kicked like I'm near positive he would. This fight has never made sense to me, other than the fact that it's two guys who are dominant in their division. I just don't see what the smaller GSP brings to the table that's going to trouble Silva. Sonnen, Ruetter and Henderson had Silva in a position where he looked mortal, but their wrestling, size and strength are superior to GSP's. I picture something along the lines of the Franklin fights, only GSP isn't even the striker Rich is/was.

Don't get me wrong, I think GSP is terrific; a class act who comes in shape every time and is a great, great, if not exciting, fighter. I just think Spider is all wrong for him.

I also agree with Michael and T.W. Epitome. While I think Jones would beat Silva, right now, I'm not sure he's earned it quite yet and that's a tentative pick. Jones is so fast, creative and explosive that the reckless chances he takes are overlooked, especially after that demolition of Shogun. I can see him crushing people the rest of his career and I can see shocking sudden upsets, too. The thing is, by the time he does, or if he does, remove all doubt by beating Quinton, Rashad and Lyoto...by then, Silva is gone.

Off The River
09-03-2011, 02:25 AM
I think Silva has earned a shot at the Lt Heavyweight title. It's not a matter of What Jones has done, it's more of what Silva hs done. Plus he's also tested Lt Heavy weight waters. GSP has only fought at welterweight. He ahs beaten some huge welters, but I think the pressure is on Silva to cement his greatness before his career is over.

I do think that GSP does have a shot if they ever do fight. He does have great striking, and while it's not on the level of Silva, George does come up with some pretty impressive gameplans whenever he fights.

The key would ave to be his wrestling and GSP is proably the best wrestler in the game, he has the speed and strength to take it to Silva and give him some issues. He is the stronger of the two fighters. He'd have to fight a perfect fight though, one mistake and it's all oer, whereas Silva is not going to be stopped.

doomeddisciple
09-04-2011, 09:35 PM
GSP's striking is good, but it is just not dynamic enough to hang with Silva IMO.

Two examples from the Sheilds fight in particular back Tony's call above which I agree with.

One his insistence on throwing the same combination over and over with no sucess and he didn't notice Shields' basically screaming for him to hook off the jab all night and how damaged he was from Sheild's limited offense in return - Not just damage to the eye itself, but the swelling and marking he got from Shields and it wasn't like he putting any combo's together.

GSP hasn't finished an opponent since Serra II or something either and as good as his wreslting and Jiu Jitsu is - I don't see him being bale to hold Silva on the ground like Sonnen did.

GSP doesn't NEED to fight at Middle and I don't think he should have to just because he's dominated the rest of the Welters.

Very interested in seeing the Diaz fight with GSP anyway.

At most, Silva could give Sonnen a rematch for the sake of Brazillian pride and for the UFC, but I personally wouldn't care if he made Chael chase him up to 205 to do it either after he see's if he can solve the Jones puzzle.

I am feeling more like post the Jones Rampage result, we will get a more clearer picture of the way ahead for Silva's future.