PDA

View Full Version : Ron Lyle's '90s comeback fights.

KOJOE90
03-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Did anyone here ever see any of Ron Lyles mid 1990's comeback fights? I remember reading in Boxing news that he still 'looked' in great shape.

I understand that he cameback hoping to get a big money rematch with George Foreman but gave up when he was told from Camp Foreman that that would never happen,

Can anyone confirm this?

TKO Tom
03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I read about the one that he had in Denver. I moved to Denver just after that fight so I was sorry to have missed it.

By all accounts, Lyle didn't look too bad - for a guy that was 54. His weight was down to about where it was when he was younger and he won all of the fights by knockout. Nobody went longer than four rounds with him, but the opposition was a helpless bunch.

Hard to believe that Ron Lyle is now 66 years old.

:cool:

Roberto Aqui
03-17-2006, 07:33 PM
The last guy was Dave Slaughter. An apt name for a fighter who lost almost every bout he was in, usually by KO.

HE Grant
03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
When I think of Lyle I cannot get over his loss to Ali. I simply don't get his performance. He was so psyched out he did himself in.

Ali had nothing going in that fight. If you can bere to watch it, he did nothing for ten rounds. Lyle was so afraid of punching himself out that he simply jabbed and backed off when Ali went to the ropes, which was most of the fight. Then out of nowhere Ali tags him in the 11th and Lyle freezes. Ali lands about twenty arm punches and the ref stops the fight.

It's really a bit pathetic and disappointing.When you consider the heart he showed and the punches he took against Foreman, the Ali fight puzzles me.

hagler04
03-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Lyle was smart to not play the rope-a-dope, but his caution got the best of him, and when he really should've started opening up-round 7ish or so-he remained throwing light punches while having Ali on the ropes, and allowing Ali to have the energy to throw that PERFECT right hand in the 11th, which was one of the fastest punches I've ever seen.

Thing is, Lyle was an excellent inside and short puncher-much better then Foreman. He had the tools to do real damage with his quick uppercuts and short rights to Ali when Ali was against the ropes, but he just got too afraid of his own weariness.

I think the fact that his fight before Ali was a loss to a then unheralded Jimmy Young did a lot to Lyle's confidence, and everyone was predicting an easy Ali victory.

Lyle is under-rated in my opinion and if he'd gotten started earlier and chalked up more experience, he would've beaten Ali in the 70s in my opinion.

KOJOE90
03-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I read an interview with Earnie Shavers once were Shavers stated Ron Lyle was the hardest puncher he had ever faced.

Evrenb
06-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Lyle - Shavers - Now there's a great fight !! WOW !!