PDA

View Full Version : The Case For Cocoa Kid by Springs Toledo

GorDoom
10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Springs makes a great case here. I strongly suggest that you click on the link for his series on the Cocoa Kid. A truly remarkable examole of top flight boxing history by one of the great historians writing today.

GorDoom

Greetings:

After spending months researching Cocoa Kid and writing The Sweet Science.com series "Just Watch Mah Smoke: The Secret Journeys of Cocoa Kid" this year, I have become absolutely convinced that he deserves a place in the International Boxing Hall of Fame. I am not one who makes a habit of trying to influence my peers, but this case is special.

Cocoa Kid competed during all three decades of the heralded golden era (1920~1950) and faced fierce competition even after he was debilitated by dementia pugilistica. His condition, which appeared later in his career, has only recently come to light; it is sobering. He was a great fighter and a deserving contender who sacrificed more in the ring than anyone knew and yet never received a world title shot. After retiring from the ring (with eight times as many bouts as some of his fellow IBHOF nominees) Cocoa Kid spent the last decade of his life unsure of who he was. He was destitute on the streets of New York City in the 50s and in the early 60s was in a mental institution in Chicago. He died in 1966.

The grave of Herbert Lewis Hardwick was never identified as Cocoa Kid's until this year. Let's lay a wreath on it -let's show that we the scribes know who he was. It would be fitting to enshrine him in the IBHOF and see his memory receive a little of that glory that unjustly eluded him over a twenty year career.

If you missed the Cocoa Kid series and would like to know his story (or if your pencil could use a little encouragment), please see here:

http://www.ibroresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cocoa-kid.pdf

~Springs Toledo