PDA

View Full Version : New Pat Killen fights found

oldschoolhistorian
11-04-2011, 10:07 PM
As many of you know, (Tracy Callis more than others) knows how hard I have been researching the careers of 19th Century fighters for years, specifically: Pat Killen, The Black Pearl, Danny Needham, and Charley Kemmick. Tracy and I had updated Pat Killen's record a year ago with many new-found fights. My friend and long-time well-know historian, George D. Blair, has helped as well. Just when I thought we had found them all for Killen, I was doing some more research on Killen and found a handful more through newspapers, specifically, the Minneapolis Journal, which was a fantastic paper back then for boxing coverage. His record I have it now, is updated on boxrec. 56-3-2, 1 NC (53 KO's). I wonder when the International Boxing Hall of Fame is going to induct this former Heavyweight killer, that Tracy, George, and I are such big fans of.

Senya13
11-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Out of curiosity, which papers, reporting the Killen-Thompson fight on April 20, 1886, "recorded this fight as a victory for Killen"? The reports in two local papers (Cleveland Plain Dealer, and Cleveland Leader and Morning Herald) don't sound like the decision was a farce. Two fouls (Killen hitting on a break, and Thompson's seconds entering the ring) cancelled out each other, Killen had re-broken his hand and refused to continue.

Surf-Bat
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
There were a couple of fighters going by the name "Black Pearl". It's been confusing for me figuring out which was which when sifting through the old papers and putting them up on Boxrec.

jdcullen
01-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Hi, My great grandfathers name when leaving Ireland, was Killen, In Scotland they changed their name to Cullen.?? Do you please have any information about Patrick's parents and where they were born. I know from reading your column you researched extensively. Regards J D Cullen.