PDA

View Full Version : Manny Pacquio: Not Again

10i01
03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Everywhere I go I keep seeing how Manny Pacquio is dis n dat, dat n dis... I probably will be labeled a hater and all that shenanigans, but what the heck. Im so sick of it.

What has pacquio done to merit such high praises. I see him as a lowly, unskilled fighter who has beat a distracted Barrera, a shot Morales. . .And he gets the unnecessary 'the man' tag. Whoa! HOF material, bla blah

I mean the guy prolly has been 'at the right place ; at the right time' kind of fighter. When he fought a guy ready to dance with him he got schooled (ie Juan Marques, he too wasnt ready in Rd 1..the rest he took the candy out of Manny)

Has anybody ever heard of him before fighting Barrera, or atleast praised him highly? I doubt.

The guy is an "instant', and that what I hate about 'instants' cos the badly fade away into the background as quickly as possible.

What are your assessments of pacquio

:mad:

Kurant
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Just out of curiousity, have you watched any of his fights? I think your a little confused on what the hype on the Pacman is about.

I don't see "manny is the man" anywhere, I just see a guy who works his ass off, and steps in the ring, and gives 110% every fuggin time he's there. He's the man because he's exciting, because he's not ducking anyone, because he's going to get in the ring, and give a fight that you can be assured, he's going to leave everything in the ring. He doesn't come in fat, doesn't come to fight tactical fights, he comes to put on a show, and win. 2 things, of which he does probably better or as good as anyone.

Unskilled, skilled, whatever. People like Pacquio for what he does in the ring, for how he carries himself outside of it. Not his boxing skills.

He's what boxing needs, instead, we have over dramatizing money hungry people that are slowly killing and corrupting the sport.

My assessment of Manny?

The man. Period.

Roberto Aqui
03-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't know much about Manny outside the ring other than to know in the Philippines, he's a cross between Ali and JFK.

In the ring his schedule in the states has been brutal. Had he been managed properly he would have beat Marquez and Morales the first time. What he did to Marquez, Barerra and Morales has gotten fighters tossed in the clink in days of yore.

No, his skill set is improving, but nothing great, yet he is very efficient at what he does, which is blasting fighters to pieces. The public is eating up so he's doing his share to save boxing..

10i01
03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I dont think hes effective at all, I think its more of case Barrera and Morales being caught not ready to fight... Judging those 2 on the night Pacqui beat them, they were so bad that anybody could just handle them with ease maybe even easier...

To me pacquio looks nothing more but a club fighter, no real skill set...just pure instict and being at the right places (luck)

And to see him atop p4p list is just annoying at all. I mean say if an alien race comes around and challenges a boxing fest, the loser becoming slaves... who would you rather send Morales or Pacqui? Barrera or Pacqui? Marques or Pacqui?

starlingstomp
03-27-2006, 05:50 PM
While i don't disagree that Morales and Barrera were less than 100% when Manny beat them, they weren't shot\distracted to the point that the wins can just be casually written off.That's a heavy handed approach with no basis in reality.

Pac dominated Barrera so badly i wonder if he ever had the style to beat him.

Remember manny has also beaten good fighters like Sasakul and Ledwaba, both of whom were also far more skilled than Pac.

hawk5ins
03-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Completely seems a bit short sighted.

To Make exscuses for Manny for the first Morales bout and the Marquez fight and ignoring that Barrera may have over looked Manny and Morales in the return bout was past his best (Zahir Raheem anyone?) is JUST as irresponsible.

Not sure why Manny creates these polar opposite opinions on him, but it does seem a bit extreme on both sides.

Hawk

Ted Spoon
03-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Manny is great for boxing and a top bloke.

Inside the ring he looks to put on a show and rarely (if ever) disappoints.

Barrera just met his boogeyman whereas Morales was a genuinely worn fighter.

hawk5ins
03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
I'd tend to agree Ted, however watching how different Marco looked agianst Junior Jones the second time he faced him and WINNING imo, after getting dominated and humiliated in their initial battle, TO ME, lends some wiggle room with whihc I can see Marco fairing a whole lot better in a return with Manny.

He's shown he can adjust and who knows how much Marco did not view Manny to be the fighter we all know he is now (Who thought he was going to look as good as he did when he first faced Barrera?) and who knows how much the Metal plate issue distracted Marco?

If we cut Manny slack for the Reyes gloves issue with the first Morales bout, certainly there is room for doubt concerning Barrera's performance as well isn;t there?

Hopefully we will have th opportunity to find out.

Hawk

10i01
03-27-2006, 07:08 PM
The fact alone that he was a mystery going into the Barrera fight says it all. Who among you guys here have heard of Manny Pacqui before he fought Marco? I even dont understand how Barrera took on pac when he had other lucrative options...pacqaio at that time just doenst hold water to get to see a great champion and p4p fighter like MAB.

Who have heard of Manny pacquio before moving up to face Marco? Who was he, i bet nobody has an idea.. . .

ezzthetic
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Agapito Sanchez gave Pacquiao hell right after the explosive win against Lehlohonolo Ledwaba. Ledwaba was a very good if methodical fighter but just perfect for Pacquiao. The African Hands of Stone also seemed a little confused by the southpaw stance and moved straight into the Pacman's punches. (Reminds me of another excellent S-African champion, Vuyani Bungu, who met his end against another unorthodox fighter.) The wins against Fahprakorb Rakkiatgym and Jorge Eliecer Julio were also very respectable for Manny, but then again, Skinny Hussein gave him fits before some home cooking made sure the fight got stopped on cuts in the tenth. Pacquiao is not a complete fighter by any means, and you know he's not going to get up on his toes and box like another volume puncher (Aaron Pryor) could. But he's darned effective if you don't have the skills to derail him and comes to fight every time.

PS I remember him winning the title from Sasakul down at 112 lbs.

Ted Spoon
03-27-2006, 09:03 PM
If we cut Manny slack for the Reyes gloves issue with the first Morales bout, certainly there is room for doubt concerning Barrera's performance as well isn;t there?

Sure, but there is a cut off point between what factors I believe would of made any difference. The Reyes gloves excuse from Manny was quite weak, I thought -- Morales just looked terrrible in the rematch, he has been slowing down over the last couple of years.

Barrera not being 'himself' for Manny is a plausable scenario, but when two fighters are in the ring you can see if one style agrees with the other.

Barrera is not getting any younger and Pac-man can only improve. If there is a rematch in the near future the faith must be with Manny.

Walker Smith
03-27-2006, 09:31 PM
"Who have heard of Manny pacquio before moving up to face Marco? Who was he, i bet nobody has an idea.. . ."

Well... I know from my own perspective that I participated in a thread at the old CBZ board, touting Pacquiao as a threat at 126 and calling for a dream fight between him and Larios after the second Vasquez-Larios bout. Some of the first tapes I ever bought on boxing were Pacquiao bouts, which I watched before the Agapito Sanchez fight. To say the least, I was very impressed. I even thought that he could one day beat Barrera. In fact, if we still have the thread in the archives, I believe GorDoom was the one who made a very good bet by picking Pacquiao to beat Barrera against crold.

Pacquiao was the man at 122 for a while and was making noise with his power and flash well before Barrera took him out. He even made undercard appearances in some major fights, including Tyson-Lewis.

In other words, he didn't just come out of nowhere like you said. Those who followed boxing's lower divisions this millenium knew the name Pacquiao and even knew how to pronounce it, which is why he even got his HBO debut to begin with.

doomeddisciple
03-27-2006, 09:39 PM
What's not to like? An all out pressure southpaw that stops certain future HOF Mexican greats like Barerra and Morlales, has some personality and ingnites crazy passion in his home country for the sport - Sounds like a win win for boxing fans to me. Unless you're from Mexico I guess...

kikibalt
03-27-2006, 09:40 PM
I think Manny would beat Barrera 8 times out of 10 , not b/c i think Manny is a better fighter,( i don't think that) it is just a matter of style's, Barrera need time to get off his punchs an Manny will not give him that time, i'm talking about both of them in their prime.
Btw the glove thing is just B-S

Frank B.

diggity
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Anyone who strings together a resume like Pac is no accident & certainly not just lucky. Pac & Morales may not have been their absolute best but regardless, it takes someone special do to them what was done. Once could have been called an abberation but to destroy both of them & briefly terrorize Marquez in between?
No.

Pac is certainly not one of the most gifted fighters around but he has made it this far on what he has and is young enough to get even better (which he is already been doing under Roach). Despite his "shortcomings" Pac has titles in 4 weight classes (traveling through 7 or 8 classes I believe?) taking guys on easily 10-20 lbs bigger than him naturally. He has arguably had one of the hardest schedules in boxing the past few years. He's always in incredible shape, tough as nails & can pack heat. What else can you want in a boxer?

On a PR level, the guy is a literal God in his country and continues to do trememdous things such as donations & other services he volunteers for.

At one point I thought Pac may have been a flash in the pan in deeper waters but not anymore. He may not have the longest future shelf life of a fighter but I will enjoy the hell out of it while he lasts and I'll always get behind him because I know he brings it each and every time out.

Zo69
03-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Honestly wit regard to Morales v Pac (or any other fighter) is a no win situation, npw. Had Manny won over Morales the 1st time, it was supposed to be called the same..Morales is shot, and it was expected. So there was really nothing for Manny P wich is capital B.S

Marquez laid down the blueprint, Erik can do it and knows how to execute it to perfection. Heck he just did the first time. Right after that night he wasnt shot. He just did a number on Manny, hey! Pacquiao is exposed. Hes exposed! Morales is spectacular. He never ceases to impress. Hes a warrior, hes unrivaled. He's skills are way up there in the altar of the greatest feathers. Hes old school so on so forth...

Now Erik won the first fight, and he was supposed to duplicate the same feat cos Manny aint no good. Manny is solved. Hes locked, Erik has the keys. Pacquiao, he is s 1-D. He cant improve. Hes to predictable. Pacqiao is an embarrassing one-trick pony...yada yada.

Come 2nd fight,

Now Manny went over the 2nd fight...

1) Manny settled down, instead of being bouncy-bouncy and moving straight backwards to avaoid getting hit back

2) He moved to the right, used some lateral movements. Blasted Morales with some good rights, some ache-filled shots to the ribs and stomach, with some sick combos that must have landed like H-bombs on Morales chin

3) He got the gloves that hes supposed to be wearing. He all clean, no cuts, bloddy mess that could ruin his rhythm or eyesight.

4) Sat on his punches a litte bit,

5) Cut off the ring real well, used his right to jab more frequently and some other adjustments

Morales was just shot from head to toe, and shotgunned to the side of the head in the 10th..sending him stumbling and rotating dropping to the canvass looking like an elephant

then Morales is shot? After the beating he took from Manny is going to get shot. Hes going to go away, it was a hellacious beating. Manny is the man, unless youre Mexican. Period

I cant believe you guys are actually buying this Morales is empty; Morales dont have it no more. He doesnt have the legs; Hes old and gone; Hes been shot eversince he met marco the first time and has been winning on sheer determination all those times... But hey, before coming to the 2nd fight Morales was supposed to win, cos hes got the style to beat Manny 1 million out of 10 times

I cant believe how all of you are fcking Morales' apologists.

Say it, Manny beat up Morales methodically going to the body. Confusing him with lead rights (hell Erik was expecting a dart in 1-2 Pacquio) to the side of his trunk and to the side of the head.. Pacquio solved Morales and ripped his will. Morales was STILL the same Erik that fought him the first time against Pac. He just got whupped and kicked to hell and timbaktu

Zo69
03-27-2006, 11:30 PM
110110 or wut eva your name is. Go burn your freaking mexican flag. manny pacquio has cursed you

GorDoom
03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
An Open Letter to Manny Pacquiao Fans
By Jeff Mayweather from Dog House Boxing

Photo © German Villasenor
First of all I must apologize for not doing a follow up article on the Morales - Pacquiao II, a fight in which Pacquiao reversed the previous outcome not just by defeating Morales but by doing so in grand fashion, overwhelming Morales and stopping him in the tenth round. Early on, this fight was a seesaw battle; Morales appeared early on to be the better boxer once again but this time around Manny found a way to make adjustments and began landing big left hands, penetrating Morales' defense or lack of it.

Pacquiao would keep tremendous pressure on Morales, forcing him to fight even when he didn't want to. It appeared as though Morales just succumbed to the relentless pressure applied by Pacquiao.

Manny has now made himself the man to beat as he has distanced himself from the rest of the pack in the Jr. Lightweight division; wins over Morales and Barrera have to make him the man. He definitely has put himself on the radar as the man to beat.

Pacquiao’s status has risen to that of a rock star in his native homeland, the Philippines, where he has also become a symbol of hope for any young fighter with ambitions of becoming a prizefighter. Pacquiao has become to his people what Joe Louis once was to his African-American race.

I have always liked watching Manny as a fighter. I think he's sixty thrills a minute and certainly gives you your money's worth and some; win, lose or draw you will leave the arena entertained. Pacquiao fans are upset with me because I didn't consider him great as a fighter. I still stand on that, the word great is too easily tossed around in sports nowadays. Unquestionably, Manny has made great achievements, and I'm sure will be a lock for the Boxing Hall of Fame. However, he still has a lot of career left and while it is possible that by his career’s end I will feel the same as his fans, I still think it's too soon to associate the words great fighter with him at this point. Nevertheless, as a symbol of hope and inspiration, he is certainly great and that I can't deny.

Manny Pacquiao has defeated all the top Mexican fighters with the exception of the draw to Juan Manuel Marquez. In my honest opinion I think he also won that fight; dropping Marquez three times in one round is a three-point swing, therefore, he would only have had to win four more rounds to win the fight, which I felt he did, although Marquez made great adjustments and boxed brilliantly to close the gap between the two.

When Pacquiao defeated Morales I got so much mail from Pacquiao fans insisting on anything from I was prejudiced against Manny to he beat Morales because he had stronger faith in God. None of that is true; as a writer and a fan I just picked one fighter over the other and the guy I picked lost, it's that simple. We all have opinions but to reach and create things that don't exist is a bit much. While it is true that I had a personal relationship with Morales, I picked him because I thought he had the better boxing skills. I felt that those skills would see him through, which was not the case, and he lost.

I posed this question to one of Manny's fans, does beating Morales automatically make you great? Is Morales the criteria for greatness? If he is, that would mean Zahir Raheem is great also while in reality only the purest boxing fans know who he is.

I have no personal attack on Pacquiao; I simply picked the wrong guy, that's it in a nut-shell. I don't believe that God is anymore on Pacquiao's side than He is on anyone else's side. We are all God's children and I don't think God chooses one over the other. If picking one guy over the other makes me prejudiced, I guess that would make us all guilty of being prejudiced. I have nothing against Manny Pacquiao; I don't even know him, and he has done nothing to me.

Keep in mind that although I write I'm still just a fan like everyone else. Boxing is the "Theater of Upsets." I picked the wrong guy that night and chances are I will probably pick the wrong guy again.

However, I do thank Manny fans for staying on my case and making me step up to the plate, because I did owe them an explanation as to why I didn't do a follow up article.

To Manny and his die-hard fans go this message: I wish Manny Pacquiao much more success in the future and by the time his career is over I will be the first one to step up and say he was a great fighter. Believe it or not, I'm also Manny Pacquiao fan....

10i01
04-15-2006, 08:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Wutever man. Pacquio is over rated.. 2 wins against aging great fighters/ and hes up in the pedestal. People, 20 years fr now would be categorizing Pac in the likes of Camacho, able to beat old, washed up, diminished great fighters yet is all flair and no real substance.

Wait til he gets ko'd and people wud be jumping off the crazy bandwagon....

Kurant
04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Aging fighters?

Barrera was 29 years old in the fight with Pac, and he got destroyed. Aging my ass. Don't forget, he Beat Morales at the old age of 30.

Really, you should study your facts.

Name someone else he's supposed to fight? He took the belts in all those classes, he's going to take another one. What more do you want? He's not fighting nobody's in those classes, he's fighting the guys with belts. He's winning titles. What more do you want?

Forget Larios, while he's no pushover, that fight in the Philippines will be a easy win for him.

Crold1
04-16-2006, 02:08 AM
10i01: Manny is the ONLY fighter in th history of the sport to win the lineal, real title at 112 and 126. Considering body mass percentages, it's among the great accomplishments ever. He has gone 2-1-1 against the three best fetrhers of his day, and RUINED a good fighter in Ledwaba. That's a HOF resume. Period.

10i01
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Aging fighters?

Barrera was 29 years old in the fight with Pac, and he got destroyed. Aging my ass. Don't forget, he Beat Morales at the old age of 30.

Really, you should study your facts.

Name someone else he's supposed to fight? He took the belts in all those classes, he's going to take another one. What more do you want? He's not fighting nobody's in those classes, he's fighting the guys with belts. He's winning titles. What more do you want?

Forget Larios, while he's no pushover, that fight in the Philippines will be a easy win for him.

I dont want to make it seem like Im hating on Pacman, cos Im not.

But he beat 2 OLD,aging fighters..
Battle-worn, shop-worn, or if I can be bolder shot fighters. So like what Ive previously said, he wins over Morales/MAB should come with a asterisk right beside it. I mean, dont tell you youre going to believe til you die that Pacquio would beat or even come close to a PRIME MAB/or Morales..heck Erik even probably at 75% of his true fighting form beat Pacquio handily in the first fight....(and it was so obviously Erik was all spent going into the remacth)

I also think Pacman got beat by Juan, and wouldnt even mention JMM's name... Pac is getting all the goods for what really?

Aside from MAB, Erik, Ledwaba who? his resume doesnt really shake nothing...

10i01
04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Crold1: Yeah, but he didnt really impressively won them, or even defended them....its like hes a 1-time wonder boy,,,,

Sooner or later, a fight or 2 from now hes going to get Ko'd and people would start opening their eyes of how much of a poser Manny Pacquio really is

Crold1
04-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Sorry bro, but this is a board for grown-ups; didn't impressively win? KO 8 Sasakul-KO 6 Ledwaba-KO 11 Barrera. Pac may get KO'd someday at 130 or 135 twenty pounds above the weight he started at. That doesn't and won't make him a "poser."

gregbeyer
04-16-2006, 11:29 PM
i gotta say after seeing a belly full of heavyweight pretenders and the bore-a-thon fights between hopkins and taylor there are lot of guys i would critisize before manny pac.

he is strong, hits hard and comes ready to go the distance while always seeking the ko.
greg

10i01
04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Sorry bro, but this is a board for grown-ups; didn't impressively win? KO 8 Sasakul-KO 6 Ledwaba-KO 11 Barrera. Pac may get KO'd someday at 130 or 135 twenty pounds above the weight he started at. That doesn't and won't make him a "poser."
Sasakul was hit by a 'lucky' shot..it was so obvious that Pac was losing and all the way through until that one shot. Why didnt Manny Pac give the guy a rematch?

Ledwaba, well I have heard he wasnt actually feeling well. I mean not to make it as an excuse but having a flu and fighting is so much different from having a flu and playing basketball ala Jordan 23. Add to the fact that Pac was an unknown, and wasnt really scouted..

Marco, well hes had alot of troubles coming into the fight. If people let Manny a pass wit the socks, the gloves, murad and all those disgrace then why not MAB? Also, hes aging.

Roberto Aqui
04-17-2006, 07:10 AM
So like what Ive previously said, he wins over Morales/MAB should come with a asterisk right beside it. I mean, dont tell you youre going to believe til you die that Pacquio would beat or even come close to a PRIME MAB/or Morales..heck Erik even probably at 75% of his true fighting form beat Pacquio handily in the first fight....(and it was so obviously Erik was all spent going into the remacth)

I also think Pacman got beat by Juan, and wouldnt even mention JMM's name... Pac is getting all the goods for what really?

Aside from MAB, Erik, Ledwaba who? his resume doesnt really shake nothing...

You employ the least impressive logic I've seen on these boards.

Barrera is still at the top of the p4p lists, and Morales hardly beat Pac "handily." He was almost KOed the last round of their first fight and Manny made some adjustments and got him earlier in the 2nd fight. Morales at his best was a bantamn/featherweight, a weight which Manny hits even harder at.

You're obliviously blind to Marquez turning down the very lucrative Pac rematch, instead preferring to fight and lose for peanuts in Indonesia.

There are very few fighters left in the feather/superfeather division who want anything to do with Manny who may have to move up to lightweight to get a fight. He's completely cleaned out the feather divisions and obviously cleaned your clock a long time ago.

NOEL
07-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Manny is an example of a fighter not just in the ring but also out of life.he grew up w/o any formal education yet strive hard for what he have dream of 2 become one of the best pound for pound boxer all over the world. some of u are saying this&that or whatever!just find someone who could whip his ass before u start opening ur ghastly mouth.
maybe u hate this guy so much because u envy what he have accomplished.then again,i rest my case to what he have done in & out of the ring!FIND SOMEONE WHO COULD BEAT MANNY'S ASS OR BETTER YET SHUT THE FUCK UP!:p

PS
watchout 4 pacquiao-morales 3 on nov 18 @ las vegas
&know what d fuck r u talkin about!

ALLAH AKBAR!

Kurant
07-30-2006, 01:45 PM
The level of education in the above post is staggering.

Please, keep the maxboxing.com crap outta here. There is a reason that site sucks, and we don't need the same thing here.

Rafael
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I thought that kind of stuff was not cool on this board, which is a reason some of us like to visit here. Eastsideboxing anyone?

Chuck1052
07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
In addition to applying a lot of pressure and landing numerous
hard punches, Manny Pacquiao was too quick for Marco Antonio
Barrera. It may be that Pacquiao isn't technically sound as a
fighter, but you could say the same about Muhammad Ali.
Did that make Ali a club fighter? EVERY fighter has at least
one flaw, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any good
fighters.

- Chuck Johnston

HE Grant
07-30-2006, 05:21 PM
It's a bit of a ridiculous post...Barrera and Morales, while both a bit shopworn, were still two all time greats who were top fighters in the world when Paq fought them.

His skills are obvious: true knockout power, great conditioning and heart. A world class chin. Very decent speed. Tremendous determination. The ability to come from behind and to win, the greatest skill of all. The ability to maintain a furious workrate in a brutal give and take fight.

That's about it.

smallon
08-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Sasakul was hit by a 'lucky' shot..it was so obvious that Pac was losing and all the way through until that one shot. Why didnt Manny Pac give the guy a rematch?

Ledwaba, well I have heard he wasnt actually feeling well. I mean not to make it as an excuse but having a flu and fighting is so much different from having a flu and playing basketball ala Jordan 23. Add to the fact that Pac was an unknown, and wasnt really scouted..

Marco, well hes had alot of troubles coming into the fight. If people let Manny a pass wit the socks, the gloves, murad and all those disgrace then why not MAB? Also, hes aging.

There is no such thing as a lucky punch in boxing as if a punch is thrown, it's thrown for a reason. Sasakul is a friend of mine and what he said was he got complacement. He thought he had Pacquiao beat and got caught sleeping. End of story - Pacquiao can obviously punch.

As far as everything else, all that matter at the end of the day is is the wins and losses. I personally think Pacquiao is very beatable and will be beat within the next year. But it's not a matter of who is out there to beat him - he'll beat himself....

kikibalt
11-10-2007, 08:14 AM
SULAIMAN BEATS ON PACQUIAO
Michael Swann
15Rounds.com

According to Philboxing.com, World Boxing Council president Jose Sulaiman, in Manila for the WBC convention, urged Manny Pacquiao to fight for a belt and not be manipulated by others “whose only interest is to earn money.”

“It is very wrong for a fighter to fight only for money,” Sulaiman was quoted. “They should be given the freedom to do what they should do. Winning a championship will be their crowning glory.

“After 20 or 50 years when he retires, Pacquiao will not be known to have beaten the best pound for pound boxers as (Erik) Morales and (Marco Antonio) Barrera, but whether he had won a championship belt.”

These words sound rather egregious, coming as they are from the chief of a sanctioning body who would happily collect hefty fees from a superstar such as Manny in a title bout.

As for Pacquiao, he was quoted by ABS-CBN.com in the Philippines as saying, “I can face anyone just as long as they fix the fight so I can start training already. If I need to climb on weight, 130 or 135, no problem.”

Pacquiao said that he was confident that he can handle super featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Marquez or lightweight belt holders David and Juan Diaz.

In truth, every fighter should try to make as much money as they can in their short careers. They have no retirement pension or health benefits and you can’t eat a title belt in your Golden Years. You can be sure that neither Sulaiman nor any of his peers will be coming around driving the Meals on Wheels bus either.

Manny is one of a select few fighters who is bigger than a title. Competitively, we’d like to see a rematch with Marquez, but if he finds a way to make more money elsewhere, good for him.

For what it is worth, David Diaz holds Sulaiman’s WBC lightweight belt and Marquez is the title holder at 130. Could it be that Mr. Sulaiman had an agenda in making his remarks?

Michael Swann can be reached at mswann4@aol.com.

doomeddisciple
11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Is it because Suliaman's only interest is to earn Pac's sanctioning fees?