PDA

View Full Version : Gene Tunney v Dick Tiger

gazot
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Can Tiger replicate what Greb did and beat the naturally larger Tunney?

GorDoom
12-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Absolutely not. Tiger even at light heavy never weighed more than 167. At 5'8 & at that weight Tunney would simply be too big & fast for him. This is not to denigrate Tiger as he is one of my all-time faves but fighting Tunney would be a bridge too far for him just like Foster was.

However I don't see Tunney flattening him like Foster. I see a wide UD over 15 for the "Fighting Marine".

GorDoom

Ronald Lipton
12-17-2005, 02:49 PM
You all know how much I love the Tiger but like Dirty Harry said to Hal Holbrook, "A man has got to know his limitations."

Tunney who handled Greb and Dempsey, and dropped the Manassa Mauler to boot, would be too mobile and rugged for the great former Middleweight champ.

Yoda says, Tunney is Torres not, too big and rugged he is. The force was with Ihetu with Benvenuti, Rouse, Fullmer, Carter, Fernandez, Rivero, but the force is strong with Tunney as it was with Archer and Griffith.

Whoever had the Wile E Coyote Acme Rocket shoes did well with the powerful but slow footed great champ.

Tunney wins a one sided fight from the outside with a possible tko, Tunney was the goods and he was big, strong and fast.

wildhawke11
12-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Ron Lipton and GorDoom
I so wanted to say this would be a bridge to far for even the great Tiger to attempt, but i purposely held back my own thoughts till i had seen others views on this one. Once again Ronny Boy and Mr Doom you both hit the nail on the head. No way could even the strong Tiger have had a chance of completing with Tunney who for his time i think was a master craftsman and as tough as they come. Look at the beating that Greb gave Tunney. Did it deter him, not in the least, he came back when many other might have faded into obscurity after a beating like that.

I also think that Tunneys hitting power was a little better then some think but i agree the chances are Gene would be content to take the safer decision route rather then engage in fisticuffs with Dick.

peter murphy
10-31-2012, 08:01 PM
tunney boxes the ears off tiger and wins on late ko

Elwill7847
10-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I consider Tunney the 2nd greatest Light Heavy of all time, behind Ezzard Charles,and he would be too big, too strong, too fast and simply too much fighter for Tiger. Likely result is a wide 15 round decision, possibly late TKO.

Michael Frank
11-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Another vote for Tunney; not a tough fight for him, either.