PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite action fighter

OMG65
04-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I guess action fighter is a subjective term.I define it as someone who wasn't really a master boxer but just went out and threw punches and showed tons of heart.My alltime favorite action fighter was Ray Mancini.Not a superb boxer but just went out and gave it his all and produced alot of exciting moments.I really loved watching this guy fight win or lose.Who was yours?

hawk5ins
04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Between Saad Muhammad, Boza Edwards and Marvin Johnson.

I'll probably go with Pops.

Hawk

JLP 6
04-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Ward.

Mr E
04-12-2006, 04:08 PM
For sheer thrills, I'll take Matthew Saad Muhammad, aka "Miracle" Matt Franklin, and Danny "Little Red" Lopez.

GorDoom
04-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Former 50's & 60's feather contender, Ricardo "Pajarito" Moreno. I don't have his record in front of me but out of 65-70 victories only one fight ever went to a decision. Pretty incredible when you think about it ...

Also most of his losses ended up by KO - so pretty much 95% of the time he entered a ring there was going to be a KO. This guy had a left hook that could have knocked out middleweights.

He was exciting as hell!

GorDoom

kikibalt
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Pajarito Moreno and Battling Torres

Frank B.

greek1237
04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Rocky Marciano, Thown tons of leather, and and was pretty fun to watch.

Joe Fraizer, See above.

Jack Dempsey, his speed, and power made him fun to watch.

Villia, WOW is all I have to say for the guy. All action all the way.

Gene Fullmer and Baliso are fun to watch,
I add Walker to the list also.

phlboxarc
04-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Gil Turner, Bob Murphy, Arturo Gatti, Matt (Franklin) Saad Muhammad, Perry L'il Abner, Victor Pappa, Mike Picciotti. Skipper Jones to name a few of many that I appreciated seeing in action.

gregbeyer
04-12-2006, 07:54 PM
easy question for me...danny lopez.
greg

robertk
04-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Bazooka Limon and John Mugabi come to mind.

thumper3852
04-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I have to go with a toss up between Alexis Arguello and Roberto Duran

kikibalt
04-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Lets not forget Bobby Chacon here, anybody remember's?, Bobby Chacon vs. Bazook Limon fights?

Frank B.

hawk5ins
04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
And as much as I enjoy the Limon bouts, the Boza fights IMO were even more entertaining.

hawk

kikibalt
04-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Hawk5--i agree with you on that, i had forgot those Boza fights.

Frank B.

dongee
04-13-2006, 11:59 AM
For me it will always be Henry Armstrong. Henry nwver stopped throwing leather and in fact made his opponents fight back or jump out of the ring. It's true, Henry landed a lot of blows on the other guy's arms or shoulders. But once he got his rhythm going, putting his head on his foe's chest, Armstrong was perpetual motion, believe it.

When it comes to ethnics. the best action fighters in my day were either Filipino or Mexican, bar none. They were two proud people who understood what was expected of them and hardly ever failed to deliver, no matter how large or small the purses were .

regards

hap navarro

hawk5ins
04-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I still remember an old KO or world boxing article that discussed action fighters and Boza and Marvin Johnson were discussed in depth. The line about Marvin that had me rolling and is probably true was: "Marvin Johnson swatting at flies at a picnic would probably be exciting".

Loved that one.

Hawk

KOJOE90
04-13-2006, 01:18 PM
As a UK fight fan I feel I must mention Nigel Benn.

No UK fighter before or since has excited me so much as The Dark Destroyer.

wildhawke11
04-13-2006, 06:13 PM
As a UK fight fan I feel I must mention Nigel Benn.

No UK fighter before or since has excited me so much as The Dark Destroyer.

DING DONG-DING-DONG. The excitement as Nigel made his entrance was something else. Did we all not love this guy, i agree with you Joe.

gregbeyer
04-13-2006, 06:38 PM
hey frank,

your right we can't forget bobby chacon. i have three of the four limon fights on tape and i love bobby's attitude. he was a born fighter. as much so as any other "born" fighter. i try...but i can never forget the night he knocked out my all time favorite danny lopez.

to me, for a guy going thru so many up's and downs bobby is one one the best to ever come out of L.A. in terms of longevity, class and opposition bobby ranks high....yet still, he could have been so much more.
greg

kikibalt
04-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Greg

Bobby Chacon was one of the most exciteing fighters i ever seen, i know it hurted you to see what he did to Danny Lopez, but that part of the game

Frank

Petey
04-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Chacon - Limon (IV?, about November '82) Was about the msot exciting action fight ever...

mike
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
chacon,armstrong,baslilio,youg tyson,saad-baslio dramatic and game as a rooster.

TKO Tom
04-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Man, there were some exciting Middleweights that fought in and around Philly and AC back in the 80's:

Frank "The Animal" Fletcher, James "Hard Rock" Green, Curtis Parker, Buster Drayton were just a few of the all-action fighters of that day.

They used to light Atlantic City up!

Dan Hanley
04-15-2006, 12:07 PM
For me, Armando Muniz, Victor Galindez, Bobby Chacon, Gaby Canizalez...and I'll probably think of some more later.

Dan

brutu
04-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Tommy Morrison's fights were usually exciting.
Even when he fought journeymen,because if he didnt knock them out by the fifth round even the journey men had a chance to win,because usually Morrison looked tired and winded by then,but he still had the big left punch.

Cholo
04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Bobby Chacon.

Steve Coughlin
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Here’s my top 10 (in no particular order):

Matthew Saad Muhammad
Cornelius Boza Edwards
Bobby Chacon
Arturo Gatti
Takanori Hatakeyama
Khaosai Galaxy
Nigel Benn
Julian Jackson
Frank “The Animal” Fletcher
George Foreman

BDeskins
04-25-2006, 04:47 AM
No question about it...Danny "Little Red" Lopez! Wait a minute...there's also Bobby Chacon, Matthew Saad Muhammad, Marvin Johnson, Julian Jackson and Rocky Graziano...to name a few!

No Dice
05-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Matthew Saad Muhammad would be my first choice, followed closely by Bobby Chacon, then Little Red Lopez.

I don't recall who posted it but that Chacon/Limon IV was one of the best fights I've ever seen. Better, IMO, than the Boza Edwards fights.

Another one of my favorite fights for pure action was the Saad Muhammad/Yaqui Lopez fight.

Walker Smith
05-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Mickey Ward, Carmen Basilio, Sugar Ray Robinson (especially when he sets up for his KOs), Jerry Quarry, Ricardo Mayorga, Jake LaMotta, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Jack Dempsey, mid-70s Ali, Israel Vasquez, Yvon Durelle, Evander Holyfield, Manny Pacquaio, Erik Morales, James Toney, Roberto Duran, Teddy Reid (this guy brings the street into the ring), and, of course, Arturo Gatti.

No Dice
05-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Man, there were some exciting Middleweights that fought in and around Philly and AC back in the 80's:

Frank "The Animal" Fletcher, James "Hard Rock" Green, Curtis Parker, Buster Drayton were just a few of the all-action fighters of that day.

They used to light Atlantic City up!

Frank "The Animal" Fletcher. Now there's a guy who left some blood in the ring. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. I remember watching a fight of his on NBC with Ferdie Pacheco doing the color. Frank got busted up over his eye and was bleeding badly, but still won the fight. Pacheco was interviewing him after the fight and he asked him "Frank, did the cut impair your vision"? The Animal said something along the lines of "No Ferdie, but sometimes the blood got in my eye and I couldn't see too good".

GorDoom
05-06-2006, 04:23 PM
That's a very funny story, Dice. Good stuff! & Btw: Welcome to the board!

GorDoom

No Dice
05-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the Welcome GD. Glad to be here.

HE Grant
05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Little Red, Saad Muhammad, Pops Johnson, young Tyson, Duran, Boza-Edwards, Hagler, Gatti, Smoking Joe, Tommy Hearns.