PDA

View Full Version : UNFORGIVABLE BLACKNESS(DVD review by me))

brutu
04-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I finally saw this last week.
My opnion Ken Burns was more interested on Jack Johnson's social impact
on America via the media,who were pissed off by his going against the grain
at that time.
As fas as an examination of Johnson's actual puglistic bouts,were secondary.
Actually when you watch the featurette by one of the producers,
he says watching Jack Johnson's fights almost put him to sleep,and he tried to edited the fight footage they did show,to make them more exciting.
Closeups of Johnson re-acting to the audience.
They show Johnson hit Willard with a tremenous left to the body,however the reverse it and show it 2 more times in later rounds,which in my opinion is screwing around with historical facts for entettainments sake.

brutu
04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Why didnt they issue a unforgivable blackness special limted edition dvd set?
like 2 extra dvd's that would have the complete rounds of
vrs Tommy Burns
vrs Stanley Ketchel
vrs Jim Jeffries
vrs Fireman Jim Flynn
vrs Frank Moran
vrs Jess Willard
and any other known Jack Johnson fight recorded on film and that still survives.
Why didnt the producers make a special edition with Jack Johnson's complete fights?
because they are not boxing fans.

greek1237
04-15-2006, 04:52 PM
I heard the Burns fight is not complete. about 8 rounds made it, and the part were Johnson leap on Burns and the police stop the fight was the end of a reel. and there are no other reels after that.

Roberto Aqui
04-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Burns is an unrepentent liberal with a social agenda if I may speak without seeming to be a flaming fundi conservative. As I understand, Burns did include rare clips never before seen, so whatever his failures are were redeemed by his research.

Burns based his doc on Geoffrey Ward's bio which is more extensive and a better historical resource. I enjoyed the doc and feel Burns put forth a good effort for a guy who is obviously not into boxing.

PD99
04-16-2006, 12:18 AM
The point at which most footage of Burns - Johnsons stops and the police allegedly step is not actually the end of the available footage of that rd. Certainly they picked an excellent point in the fight to dress up as same. Johnson can be seen belting the hell out of Burns with numerous punches, the last of which is a right cross after which Burns appears to be heading toward the deck. Right there most versions stop with the suggestion that the police had just then shut down the cameras. Burns actually survived that particular onslaught, somehow remaining on his feet with about 10 secs more of the rd being shown.