PDA

View Full Version : RIP - David Allen

Dan1213
08-05-2012, 11:27 AM
IBRO lost a valued member with the sudden passing of David Allen on July 27, 2012 at the age of 68. David joined the IBRO in September 2005. He will be missed by all who came in contact with him. His obituary written by Derek O’Dell is contained below. May He Rest in Peace!

News of the sudden and unexpected death of IBRO member Dave Allen spread around the world in a few hours. Considering his world-wide boxing connections and vast coterie of friends, this is not surprising. He was a boxing man through and through with many contacts and a vast collection of boxing-related books and memorabilia. It was often said “Dave knows his boxing”, I can vouch for that. He was my junior by ten years, which is usually a period of two boxing generations, yet he could converse in detail about fights and fighters of my time and well before that. In his head was a wealth of fistic information. It was that which made him a regular winner of boxing quizzes, prizes for which adorned his home. When it came to helping his boxing colleagues, nothing, but nothing, was too much trouble. Being a man who bore no grudges he didn’t refuse requests from those, who, in the past, may have slighted him. That was Dave – so easy-going and seldom showing displeasure, yet it isn’t that good-heartedness or kindness that I will most remember him for, it was his integrity. He was a pillar of honesty and trust-worthiness. There was nothing underhand about Dave Allen, for instance he would never knowingly bid against a friend at an auction. Any books, magazines or photos he borrowed never failed to be returned. We had a strong bond and in a friendship of well over fifty years we never had a single crossed word. There was plenty of good-hearted banter and always a warm greeting. In short, Dave was a gem. He was in fine spirits when we met two days before his death, a heart attack in his sleep took him from us at the far-too-early age of sixty-eight and the news of it has hit me hard. Dave died on the 27th July, he was a widower and leaves two sons, two daughters and five grandchildren.

By Derek O’Dell

Goofy Pimple
08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
IBRO lost a valued member with the sudden passing of David Allen on July 27, 2012 at the age of 68. David joined the IBRO in September 2005. He will be missed by all who came in contact with him. His obituary written by Derek O’Dell is contained below. May He Rest in Peace!

News of the sudden and unexpected death of IBRO member Dave Allen spread around the world in a few hours. Considering his world-wide boxing connections and vast coterie of friends, this is not surprising. He was a boxing man through and through with many contacts and a vast collection of boxing-related books and memorabilia. It was often said “Dave knows his boxing”, I can vouch for that. He was my junior by ten years, which is usually a period of two boxing generations, yet he could converse in detail about fights and fighters of my time and well before that. In his head was a wealth of fistic information. It was that which made him a regular winner of boxing quizzes, prizes for which adorned his home. When it came to helping his boxing colleagues, nothing, but nothing, was too much trouble. Being a man who bore no grudges he didn’t refuse requests from those, who, in the past, may have slighted him. That was Dave – so easy-going and seldom showing displeasure, yet it isn’t that good-heartedness or kindness that I will most remember him for, it was his integrity. He was a pillar of honesty and trust-worthiness. There was nothing underhand about Dave Allen, for instance he would never knowingly bid against a friend at an auction. Any books, magazines or photos he borrowed never failed to be returned. We had a strong bond and in a friendship of well over fifty years we never had a single crossed word. There was plenty of good-hearted banter and always a warm greeting. In short, Dave was a gem. He was in fine spirits when we met two days before his death, a heart attack in his sleep took him from us at the far-too-early age of sixty-eight and the news of it has hit me hard. Dave died on the 27th July, he was a widower and leaves two sons, two daughters and five grandchildren.

By Derek O’Dell

I spoke with Dave several times on forums quite a few years back about Boxing memorabilia, he had quite a collection. Hadn't "seen" him around for a long while unless he was posting under a different moniker or given up on boxing forums. R.I.P.