PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Don Gee!

GorDoom
04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Hap has been elected in to the California Boxing Hall Of Fame! Can't think of anybody more deserving. Plus, it's about time!

Congratulations again my friend.

regards,

GorDoom

kikibalt
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Gor.

Yes it's about time , it's true i heard that from Don Fraser the other day.

Frank B.

Boxscribe
04-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Congratulations Hap. A fine honour to a fine man.

Chuck1052
04-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Congratulations, Hap!

- Chuck Johnston

kikibalt
04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Congratulations Hap We'll be seening you there as my boys Frankie and Tony will also be inducted.

Frank B.

gregbeyer
04-25-2006, 11:36 PM
tell me the CBZ ain't cooool.

what a pleasure to hear this great news for CBZ regulars.

congradulations hap. couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
greg

Mikey Capp
04-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Congratulations to Mr Navarro on the esteemed honor of being inducted into the California Boxing Hall Of Fame. And thank you for all of the great wisdom and knowledge that you have shared on boxing with the Cyberboxingzone.

Sincerely Mikey Capp

dnahar
04-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Congratulations sir on your CA Boxing HOF induction. A most deserved honor for a boxing lifer, promoter, and fan. I appreciate all the California stories you have shared on the site.

Best wishes,
Deepak

dongee
04-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks fellows. I have a feeling it couldn't have happened without my association with the cyber boxing zone. For that and your kind words, I am grateful. - Hap

kikibalt
04-28-2006, 05:24 PM
http://i3.tinypic.com/wmhwls.jpg

GorDoom
05-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Hap:

That was very kind of you to give the CBZ props for your induction ...BUT, the REAL reason you were inducted is because of the great service you have done for boxing for decades ... & that continues to this day.

What you have contributed just to the CBZ has been an incredible wealth of knowledge & a Studs Terkel like oral history of the sport. & that's just what you've done here, which is just a fraction of what you have contributed to boxing for over half a century.

The CBZ is truly honered to have a fistic scholar & a gentleman like yourself take the time to educate us.

You got it because you more than deserved it. Take the credit Hap, YOU earned it.

warmest regards, from your friend,

GorDoom

dongee
05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Gordoom:

Because of your standing and track record since I joined both IBRO and the "Zone", I'll take your word for it, Chief, gratefully of course.

I noticed that one of the west's most knowledgeable fistic femmes will also be inducted into California's boxing Hall of Fame on August 19th. What Belle Martell did for the game merits a book written about her. She and her husband Art championed the amateur game in the southland for years, starting around 1933. Before moving out to their own club on 97th and Main in south central L.A. the Martells promoted amateur shows at the huge Olympic Aud., at times outdrawing the pro cards put on by Joe Waterman at the same club.

Belle was so sharp in her role that she was granted a referee's license by the Athletic Comish a move that produced a storm of protest from the macho gender. She only got to officiate at a couple of shows, quite capably, in fact, but the license was soon revoked to appease the die hards. Even Joe Waterman came out with an article in the Olympic's newsletter praising Belle and underscoring the total unfairness of the powers in lifting her license.

The Martells were really something, Steve. She was around six feet tall, her husband a short carbon copy of movie actor Leon Errol, for whom he doubled in many flicks, rubber legs and all! Belle would come into our offices at the Legion Stadium and ask if we had seen "her buzzard" who had wandered off to visit with members of the club's staff.

Although the two had developed many fine amateur boxers only one, Eddie Marcus, really blossomed as a pro. A handsome lightweight of Hispanic ancestry Eddie came mighty close to super stardom in the 1930s.

We'll spotlight Al Silvani and Carlos Chavez, two other inductees, in a subsequent post.

hap navarro

kikibalt
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
http://i4.tinypic.com/zvpv6x.jpg

Hap-- what can you tell us about this fighter and his lady manager

Frank B.

dongee
05-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Frank B.:

I posted answers to your questions about Gene Jensen and Mozelle Dinehart on the History of L.A. Boxing thread early today.

To repeat: Gene Jensen began his boxing career under the name of Gene Mock. After a few pro bouts he took time off and came back under new management and with the new ring name of Gene Jensen. It was then that he went under the sponsorship of Mozelle Dinehart, the wife of character movie actor Alan Dinehart.

hap navarro

kikibalt
05-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Hap

Frank

wildhawke11
05-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Hap
So pleased to hear that you got elected. Congratulations. Dont care if i make you blush when i say this you are probably one of the most respected and most knowable poster's we have ever had the pleasure of having here on the Zone. I used to love hearing you and Rick Farris when he posted here discussing boxing on your main thread. You got nothing less then you deserved Hap. .

Should my last line have read *more then you deserved* If i got that bit wrong Hap please forgive but its now gone 4.30 am here in UK and i am pretty tired. So my brain is not at its very best now But i am sure you know what i meant Hap. Again Congratulations
Danny

dongee
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Danny, buddy:

Thanks so much for your kind words, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

You should know that I think of you every time I watch "Million Dollar Baby" when they show the lettering on the back of Hillary Swank's robe. That was a song I sorta grew up with when my aspiring aunts tried to evolve into tenors for that purpose.

Erin go bragh...

hap navarro

BDeskins
06-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm a bit late on this, but as Gor said, can't think of anyone more deserving. The contributions you have made to this site has been tremendous, which is just a very, very small portion of the good that you have done for boxing, but one of the reasons that this is the best forum on the net. Congratulations Hap.

dongee
06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Barry, ...Coming from you, a pat on the back is not too late, ever. Thank you so much and keep posting because I enjoy what you have to share with us. Thanks again, Pal -

hap navarro

GorDoom
06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Hap:

Greg Beyer & I have decided to fly down to LA for the induction. We realised we didn't want to miss this chance to meet you & Frank Baltazar.

Plus to see you, the Baltazar & Ruelas Brothers get inducted is something we decided we just couldn't miss. So we will be ther my friend, It will be treat to meet you after all these years.

regards,

GorDoom

dongee
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Hap:

Greg Beyer & I have decided to fly down to LA for the induction. We realised we didn't want to miss this chance to meet you & Frank Baltazar.

Plus to see you, the Baltazar & Ruelas Brothers get inducted is something we decided we just couldn't miss. So we will be ther my friend, It will be treat to meet you after all these years.

regards,

GorDoom

What a pair of champs!!

If I can remain upright long enough it will be an extreme pleasure to see you both, along with other "zoners" from my old hometown. But truthfully---I feel as sthough we have already met. You guys, all of you "zone" people, have filled a void in my life that has existed like a painful vacuum since I left the game I have loved since childhood. Don Cogswell, who drove down to San Diego to meet me, will also be there for a happy reunion.

In appreciation,

hap navarro

P.S. Steve, I posted a note on Young Corbett's many ball park or outdoor appearances on that thread you started. I'm sure you or other "zoners" can add to the list.

hn

GorDoom
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
"But truthfully---I feel as though we have already met."

That's funny that you would say that because I feel exactly the same way. & there's a lot of CBZers that even though I've never met them I do consider to be personal friends of mine.

It's great how boxing & this board can bring so many diverse people together who would normally would have never even known each other even existed but can really establish a true bond here.

GorDoom

kikibalt
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
http://i8.tinypic.com/2569tvr.jpg

gregbeyer
08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
hi hap,

check out the boxing news section on the CBZ. hope you are well....great pleasure it was to finaly see you. congrats again amigo.
greg

dongee
08-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Good friend Greg:

I saw your take on last Saturday's festivities and must say you captured the feel of the day perfectly, even though I am still having trouble remembering much of what was said or what actually happened. It's hard to retain all of what took place at my age, but I'm still savoring what I can recall and with a deep sense of appreciation.

Several things are certain, though, and they are that it was a distinct pleasure to see and meet our great bunch from the CBZ. topped by the two who traveled the farthest to join us----you and the Chief flying down from lovely Vancouver.

I'm hoping that because of their proximity I'll be able to see Frank B., Sr., and his Hall of Fame sons, Frankie, Jr. and Tony, plus our favorite champion "Gato" Gonzalez, Chuck Johnston and Olympic Auditorium sometime in the near future. Lordy, how they can make your day!

There were 18 Navarros there to share an unforgettable experience with this old guy. My brother, Mike, who is Dave Navarro's dad, was mainly responsible for the ad in the program that made me look like I was 12 years old! Bless him for caring that much, but that's what he is best at----springing pleasant surprises on his loved ones.

I am really sorry that I did not get to spend more time with all of you, Greg, but every time I looked around the scene had changed and new friends had popped up, nicely, of course.

Greg, Frank, Sr., Steve, we would have met and hit it off 50 years ago or even 50 years from now. Caring souls have a way of finding one another---I have always believed that. So thanks to all of you for showing up at this time in my life.

How can I ever forget Saturday's unique experience?

Felicidades

hap navarro

phlboxarc
08-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Hap, that was a great tribute your family put in the program. Those two lines would make anybody proud. I am very happy for your belated honor and very proud to have you for a friend. I wish I could have been there to share part of the moment with you and meet the rest of the fellas' and talk a little boxin,' and smoke a "Navarro import" in your honor. But Greg's story almost had me feel like I was sitting at table 3.
Best Wishes - Chuck

dongee
08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Once a champ......

Thank you, C.H. and let me assure you that our good pal Don Cogswell made it a point early on Saturday to convey your good wishes to me. You were almost there, Chuck, through Don and yours truly, because we thought and spoke about you.

What a pal you have been from the very start. I will never forget that you were the one who got me first mention on the "zone", when everyone else thought "Navarro" was just an imported cigar!

Take care, good Chuck. Thank you for being my friend.

hap navarro

kikibalt
08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
http://i8.tinypic.com/259xwk1.jpg
( L to R )

Hap Navarro, Stephen Gordon, Greg Beyer, Frank Baltazar and Frankie Baltazar Jr.

dongee
08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Dear Frank B.:

That's the real me in the photo you just posted!

The other fellow shown in the Hall of Fame program was a 135-pound frustrated fighter from 50 years ago, when the everything in the world was much newer, younger, brighter. Times were tougher back then, friend Frank, but I wouldn't trade those memories for all the riches known to man, honestly.

It was so good to visit with you and to meet your two "tigers"----be proud my friend, they are your wealth and your gifts to humanity.

Cordialmente

navarro

kikibalt
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks Hap---Appreciate your words very much, an I was evry happy to have met your in person.

Frank B.

gregbeyer
08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
hap,

not to worry amigo....i am still rolling that day over in my mind also. stephen and i had to catch an early flight back north and were very lucky that you and the baltazar boys were some of the first up in the festivities. i am proud of what you said here and agree whole heartedly that if time could truly be placed in a bottle and we could move our lives 50 yrs. in any direction, kindred souls would always find one another and feel blessed, as i felt saturday, that we did. take good care my friend.

frank sr. has all ways, numbers wise, to find me. feel free to get them from him as i would be, anytime, happy to hear from you.
tu amigo,
gregorio

GorDoom
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Mi Amigo, Hap:

Saturday is a day I will never forget for the rest of my life. I met so many, many, of my old time boxing heroes .. But meeting you & Mr. B. in person were the most special moments for me.

As you said in an earlier post, we've communicated so often over the years that WE ALREADY considered ourselves personal friends. Getting the chance to meet you even thought it was brief, absolutely filled the bill for me.

I know the time with me & Greg was brief but you have to remember, YOU were one of the stars of the show & everybody wanted to at least be able to say hello.

It was a terrific day & the fact that you were there & I actually got to meet you was just icing on the cake.

Always,

GorDoom

dongee
08-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Steve:

It's just too bad that the time flew by so fast because I wanted my entire tribe of some 18 Navarros to meet both you and Greg, Frank B. and Chuck J. I was glad to hear that my daughter Didi had a chance to chat with you and thank you for all who have done on behalf of her dad.

You may not believe me, but I didn't even get a chance to chat with John Hall and Don Fraser, excepting for the brief greeting we enjoyed at the podium. I missed out on conversing with "Gato" Gonzalez and it seemed that he left rather early.

All in all, it was a great day, lots of speeches, hugs all around, and a few genuine laughs brought on by anecdotes from the podium.

But it was one heluva pleasure to meet you, Greg, Frank B. and his boys, amd Chuck J. Just before leaving we cut up a few touches with J.J. Johnston and Bill Estrada, who were seated by then with my pal Don Cogswell.

Good folks, good vibes, good times.

hap navarro

kikibalt
08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Hap
Did any of you people shot any photos that can be posted here on the CBZ from Saturday's event?

Frank B.

dongee
08-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Frank B.:

I'm certain some one in the family had a camera or two but I don't know for certain. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. But, Kiki---let's face it your shots are the max, buddy, I've even enjoyed looking at my fat face a few times and wondering what the hell happened to that 135-pounder.

It's the years, Frank, so "nio modo"....

hap

kikibalt
08-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Hap

"Nio Modo" is right, what the heck can we do about it? Nothing!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice if you can fine and post some pics. of Saturday event.

Frank B.

GorDoom
08-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Hap:

I had the chance to talk to Don Cogswell too briefly ... He's a boxing guy that I have nothing but respect for ... Could you Private Message me his phone #?

He calls me fairly regularly but I lost his #. So if you have either the # or his e-mail address it would be most appreciated.

& lastly, getting to finally meet you will always be in the HOF of my boxing life.

Por siempre,

GorDoom

dongee
08-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Good friend Steve:

I just sent you Don's email address because I don't have his phone number at hand. When I do find it, I'll send it on to you via PM, although you might get it from him if you contact him via email. I misplaced his phone number twice and had to get it from J.J. Johnston two weeks ago.

take care

hap navarro

Dan1213
07-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Hap:

I had the chance to talk to Don Cogswell too briefly ... He's a boxing guy that I have nothing but respect for ... Could you Private Message me his phone #?

He calls me fairly regularly but I lost his #. So if you have either the # or his e-mail address it would be most appreciated.

& lastly, getting to finally meet you will always be in the HOF of my boxing life.

Por siempre,

GorDoom
I'll email you Don's number and email address.

Dan