PDA

View Full Version : Joe Frazier 1966-1967

brutu
04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Did you see Joe Frazier on ESPN fights a couple weeks ago?
they showed high lights his top 5 fights listed.
Two of which were
vrs Eddie Machen
vrs Doug Jones.
So why doesnt ESPN Classic show those fights if they got the footage?

PeteLeo
04-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Because they're buttholes?
There are THOUSANDS of nice condition fight films that NEVER get TV air-time, stuff from the Thirties that looks much better than the kinetoscopes from the Fifties, yet it sits in round metal cans in temperature controlled storage rooms that are seldom ever opened. I believe the owners of these bouts are concerned about television taping opportunities eating into the "exclusivity" of their possessions. Supposedly this is the fate of the thought-lost Walker-Greb showdown.
I've long wished that there were a cable network devoted entirely to boxing, a mixture of live cards and the almost countless fights that have been captured by the camera since Corbett and Charlie Mitchell. Who wouldn't want to see guys like Freddy Steele, Tiger Jack Fox, Lew Jenkins, Henry Armstrong, Luis Rodriguez, Fighting Harada, Ruben Olivares, Jimmy Bivins, Art Aragon, the Baltazar Boys, Jose Napoles, Barney Ross, Tony Galento, Sandy Saddler, George Chuvalo, Willie Monroe, Matthew Saad Muhammad, Maxie Rosenbloom, Buddy Baer, Gorilla Jones, Bob Fitzsimmons, Eder Jofre, Danny Lopez, Bob Satterfield, Bummy Davis, Nigel Benn, Fidel LaBarba, Azumah Nelson, Vicente Saldivar, Oscar Albarado, Benny Leonard, Carlos Monzon, Marcel Cerdan, John Henry Lewis, Terry Downes, Roberto Duran (the REAL Roberto Duran), Raul Rojas, Mickey Walker, Howard Winstone, Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Jesse James Hughes, Willie Pep, Barry McGuigan, Archie Moore, Henry Milligan, Ray Robinson, Ron Lyle, Sonny Liston, Lionel Rose, Victor Galindez, Earnie Shavers, Wilfredo Gomez, Bobby Chacon, Bob Foster, Terence Alli, Jake LaMotta, Duane Bobick, Marlon Starling, Floyd Patterson, Alfonso Zamora, Ken Overlin, Jesus Pimental, Donald Curry, Carmen Basilio, Naseem Hamed, Carlos Ortiz, Antonio Cervantes, Joe Louis, Flash Elorde, Art Hafey, Paul Berlenbach, Rodrigo Valdez, Joe Brown, Wilfred Benitez, Ray Leonard, Jack Dempsey, Pipino Cuevas, Frankie Crawford, Kostya Tszyu, Max Baer, Marvin Hagler, George Foreman, Michael Spinks, Jose Luis Ramirez, Pauncho Villa, Benny Lynch, Edwin Rosario, the Galaxy Brothers, Gerrie Coetzee, Julian Jackson, or hundreds of other greats and near-greats fighting in main events four or five times a week?
I guess I'll have to wait for Santa to Grant this wish. PeteLeo.

dnahar
04-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Pete,
Just seeing all those names you mention and as a fan that does not have a big tape collection, I have been dreaming about a boxing network. King made several mentions over the years, but nothing has come of it. Frankly, even more Al Bernstein narrated Big Fight Boxing Hours with truncated footage of never before seen fights would be welcome.

Deepak

HE Grant
04-26-2006, 06:27 PM
The worst things about this is that they can do what ever they want with these films, or do nothing at all, and there's nothing we can do about it. They simply don't care that much about boxing in general or have a clue of the library they own.

PeteLeo
04-27-2006, 02:56 AM
Hell, I wish ABC/CBS/NBC would come up with a cable channel devoted to the live fights they broadcast from the Fifties into the Nineties. CBS used to show magnificent fights and fighters on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, often two or more bouts on each broadcast, and we all remember ABC's "Wide World of Sports" fondly, even if we had to sit through forty minutes of "motorized bar stool racing" (I really saw this on one of the "ominbus" shows) in order to get to a Nino Benvenuti title defense.
And the amateur shows back then -- jeeze louise, they were ten rounds of action jam-packed into nine minutes. Think of all the future greats and near-greats we saw in their pre-pro days back then: Leonard, Davis, Holyfield, Curry, Hagler, Holmes (I'd love to see Nickie Wells bombing him out again), Tyson, Czyz, Bowe, and on and on.
Isn't there someone we can petition to get this stuff back on the air? PeteLeo.

theironbar
04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Pete -- I like your thinking -- hey, Alex Wallau is the president of ABC, and he's an ex-boxing broadcaster (who I always liked and overcame cancer):

Mr. Alex Wallau, President
ABC Television Network
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521
alex.wallau@abc.com

CBS:

Mr. Leslie Moonves, President
524 East 57th Street
New York, NY 10019
(212) 975-4321

NBC:

President, NBC Universal Television Networks Group: Randel A. (Randy) Falco
President, NBC Entertainment: Kevin Reilly
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112
Phone: 212-664-4444
Fax: 212-664-4085
programming@nbc.com

ESPN:

ESPN Plaza
Bristol, CT 06010
(860) 766-2000
espn@go.com

What if we bombarded (politely and persuasively) these guys? I mean all of us here at the CBZ and then the other (respectable) boxing sites and writers... A real grassroots movement? It couldn't hurt -- especially if we b*tched to ESPN... they can still show big names and draw in the casual fan, yet avoid the same old fights they always show...

-Peter

PS-I found this contact info on google -- I hope it's correct!

Evrenb
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi Guys

We have just started getting the Espn classics in the uk and after three weeks it is already very frustrating - seems like the same stuff churned over and over.

They should show all material as no 'hardcore' collector would ever pass it off as their own because of all the logos, graphics, commercials, commentary etc etc etc.

The only thing I like is that you get a scent of what is in existence and the hunt is great - and if you can find the original with no poxy adverts (other than the originals) and annoying pop ups its a gem !!!!

Evren

hagler04
05-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Now they're just rehashing old Friday Night Fights. Hmm hm, b/c James Toney vs Seone Asilepsi is such a 'classic' . . . what are these people thinking?