PDA

View Full Version : Scott LeDoux vs Johnny Boudreaux vs Cosell's hairpiece

Slick Skillet Mayhand
04-30-2006, 10:28 PM
OK, I've only heard about this. In short, LeDoux was apparently robbed of a victory, and in a scuffle after the fight, Cosell's hairpiece is a casualty.

Was this broadcast on any network, and if so, what actually happened? Did it just get bumped around, pulled sideways, or what?

Mr E
05-07-2006, 06:40 PM
OK, I've only heard about this. In short, LeDoux was apparently robbed of a victory, and in a scuffle after the fight, Cosell's hairpiece is a casualty.

Was this broadcast on any network, and if so, what actually happened? Did it just get bumped around, pulled sideways, or what?

I did an interview w/ LeDoux for the CBZ a few years back and he talked about that fight-- unfortunately, due to age and infirmity, I can't remember exactly what he said about the hairpiece incident. I do recall that he was still ticked off about the decision, however.

Gallicrow
05-08-2006, 03:20 AM
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/box4-00.htm

Eric: Somebody responded to my internet query with "you know, as I recall, Scott was so mad that he did something, there was some sort of scuffle afterward." Was that what it was? You knocked Cosell's toupee off?

Scott: What happened was, as soon as the fight was over, Cosell called me over to the side of the ring and he said "as soon as they announce the decision come down here." Well, he knew I won. So, I was excited, I thought, you know, here I am, a small town kid from Minnesota, and Cosell is going interview me, this is cool. And then they announced the decision saying Johnny Boudreaux's name and they announced it in such an odd way. I mean it wasn’t like they brought us to the middle of the ring or anything. If you remember, they just said "Johnny Boudreaux wins", trying to shuffle it by. At first, I thought they were just saying "hey, give a hand to Johnny Boudreaux" and I turn around and his arms are up in the air. I'm like "what"? Then I went over to Cosell and started screaming "this is the time, Howard, you have to tell it like it is, you're going to have to tell the truth!".

By this time, he had brought Boudreaux down to interview him and I'm yelling at Cosell "tell it like it is, I beat this chump and you know that!" Then Johnny Boudreaux called me some names, something to do with my mother of course, and that's when I tried to kick him in the mouth. I kicked out at Boudreaux and, when I did, Boudreaux jumped back and got his foot entangled in the head set and Cosell's toupee went right off with the headset. [Laughs a long time] I have it on tape and, when I feel low some nights, I put that on and run it back and forth, back and forth. Then, I feel better.

Gallicrow
05-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Johnny Boudreaux is now a pastor in Houston:
http://www.thenewexperience.org/aboutus.htm

http://www.thenewexperience.org/index.3.jpg

Mr E
05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/box4-00.htm

Eric: Somebody responded to my internet query with "you know, as I recall, Scott was so mad that he did something, there was some sort of scuffle afterward." Was that what it was? You knocked Cosell's toupee off?

Scott: What happened was, as soon as the fight was over, Cosell called me over to the side of the ring and he said "as soon as they announce the decision come down here." Well, he knew I won. So, I was excited, I thought, you know, here I am, a small town kid from Minnesota, and Cosell is going interview me, this is cool. And then they announced the decision saying Johnny Boudreaux's name and they announced it in such an odd way. I mean it wasn’t like they brought us to the middle of the ring or anything. If you remember, they just said "Johnny Boudreaux wins", trying to shuffle it by. At first, I thought they were just saying "hey, give a hand to Johnny Boudreaux" and I turn around and his arms are up in the air. I'm like "what"? Then I went over to Cosell and started screaming "this is the time, Howard, you have to tell it like it is, you're going to have to tell the truth!".

By this time, he had brought Boudreaux down to interview him and I'm yelling at Cosell "tell it like it is, I beat this chump and you know that!" Then Johnny Boudreaux called me some names, something to do with my mother of course, and that's when I tried to kick him in the mouth. I kicked out at Boudreaux and, when I did, Boudreaux jumped back and got his foot entangled in the head set and Cosell's toupee went right off with the headset. [Laughs a long time] I have it on tape and, when I feel low some nights, I put that on and run it back and forth, back and forth. Then, I feel better.

That's the interview, alright. Now it comes back to me.

brutu
05-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I think the incident is also reported in the book about Don King,ONLY IN AMERICA.

TIP
05-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I saw the fight on tv and it was the worst decision I've ever saw. LeDoux beat the crap out of Boudreaux, it would be comparable to giving the decision to Tex Cobb against Larry Holmes. The hairpiece was knocked off Cosell's head by Ledoux while Scott was in the ring trying to reach down over the ring ropes to cuff Boudreaux during the interview, in that process he knocked Howard's wig off. It was an ugly affair and brought an investigation and an end to the North American Championship Tournament. TIP

kenmore
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but here goes...

I remember seeing the LeDoux-Boudreaux fight live on television as a kid. I actually had Boudreaux winning a close decision.

My reasoning, as I recall, was that even though LeDoux scored with the more effective, stronger punches and although he scored a knockdown, Boudreaux seemed to have actually outscored LeDoux in terms of punches landed, even if most of Boudreaux's shots were of a slapping, cuffing quality.

Not that Boudreaux landed many punches, but I remember him seeming to have scored most with his tapping blows as LeDoux chased after him in plodding fashion.

I remember thinking that LeDoux lost it, rather than Boudreaux being better, because Scott seemed too slow on his feet to catch up with Johnny to finish him off.

It is true that every time LeDoux landed a solid right hand, Boudreaux buckled noticeably. But I thought Boudreaux was effective and dancing his way out of trouble.

Now admittedly...maybe I was just a foolhardy kid at the time who wasn't good at scoring fights. Maybe I need to order the film now, 30 years later, to study it in slow motion in order to get a better reading.

Maybe I'm just crazy...but I'm telling you what I honestly remember.

bodyblow
06-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Kenmore thats why we have professional boxing and amateur boxing. In professional boxing the guy who lands the most punches doesnt win if the other guy is buckling his opponent with infrequent yet powerful punches.