PDA

View Full Version : Kallie Knoetzee

brutu
05-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Did Kallie Knoetze ever get a shot at one of those heavyweight championship belts back during the late 1970's/early 1980's?
I remember he could punch some,but what were his plus's and minus's?
the last time I rember seeing him on television was a brief
footage of him knocking down Duane Bobick then kneeing him while he was still down on the canvas ,for whatever reason on one of the Saturday afternoon sports shows on the networks.That was about 25 years ago.

Mr E
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Kallie Knoetze fought Big John Tate in an eliminator for the WBA title Ali vacated when he retired after the Leon Spinks rematch-- and got his @$$ thoroughly waxed. [Tate went on to face Gerrie Coetzee, who had obliterated Spinks, in the 'final.'] After that, he came apart: lost to a bunch of hamburgers, if I recall a'right.

brutu
05-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I seem to remember him also loosing to a big tub of goo.

Sharkey
05-09-2006, 11:06 PM
was Jimmy Abbott.

kenmore
05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
In October '79, after losing to John Tate, Knoetzee scored a devastating third round knockout over Randy Stephens. On the basis of that fight, Bob Arum said that Knoetzee was better than Coetzee, and would eventually get a rematch against Tate.

In his very next fight, though, in December, '79, Knoetzee was shockingly kayoed in 10 rounds by American Mike Koranicki. Koranicki wasn't even a puncher. This fight finished Knoetzee as a serious contender.

In February, '80, blubbery Jimmy Abbot knocked Knoetzee out in one round, finishing his career for good.

robertk
05-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Knoetze was a brawler from the word go. He actually lost his first 13 amatuer bouts but continued to box. He and Coetzee had an amatuer rivalry as well. i think Knoetze was something of a standout rugby player as well.I know he was a fulltime policeman during his boxing career.

He was supposed to face Joe Frazier in smokin Joe's original comeback fight in 78. Frazier pulled out w/ hepatitus, I believe and the bout never transpired.

At any rate, Knoetze was a big big banger but slow. He had a brutal 1 punch kayo over Schutte, who was a durable guy and tough to knockout. Then Duane Bobick--why his management let him go to South Africa to fight the guy, I'll never know. I think the only time he was in the U.S. was for bill sharkey and he had major problemswith his visa.

He didn't train much for the Tate bout and it was all downhill after that. Once those brawlers get taken apart==especially heavies==they sure do plummet quick.

Interestingly, Knoetze had a brother Bennie who fought as well and he was a southpaw brawler. I don't think I've ever senn that before or since.

gregbeyer
05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
fighters who are brothers....one being a righty and one a lefty ?...try the baltazar brothers. they have a thread here.
greg

robertk
05-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I never considered them brawlers. You really don't have a lot of brawlers in the sport & especially heavyweights.