PDA

View Full Version : What this Forum is about is . . .

Mike DeLisa
05-18-2006, 10:44 AM
As you guys already know, we at the Cyber Boxing Zone are dedicated to ferreting out the best information possible on fighters and their records.

We are finding new information all of the time and revising and overhauling records. Tracy Callis has been adding numerous records to the Encyclopedia, which was he has been doing now for a decade!

In order to let our readers know about our new research, I will be posting a weekly summary of new finds or additions to the CBZ Encyclopedia. I am also happy to announce that none other than the legendary Johnny Bos has joined the CBZ's research staff and he will be sharing his work with us.

So, tomorrow, Friday, I will be posting the first report -- and it is a doozy!

dnahar
05-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Mike,

Can I post a few changes I've uncovered going through fighter records?

Deepak

Mike DeLisa
05-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Deepak -- absolutely -- just please give your source for any changes!

Best, Mike

The Shoemaker
06-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Mike,
This is really nit-picking, but your record of Sugar Ray Leonard has a minor flaw. Leonard DID NOT vacate his WBA Jr. Welterweight title in July of 1981 as stated. He kept both Belts until AFTER he defeated Hearns on September 16, 1981, when the WBA rules forced him to chose. Both organizations (WBA and WBC) prohibited their champions from holding simultaneous belts WITHIN their organization. They had no rules that disallowed Leonard from owning another organization's belt (obviously, the WBA was happy to have Leonard holding one of their belts). After Leonard beat Hearns, the WBA made him chose between holding the WBA Welterweight title or the Jr. Middleweight title.
My source for this (besides my memory). Look at the Associated Press pre-fight report (any newspaper on microfilm should have it on the day of the fight). The AP report gave the weigh in results and it stated that Leonard was the WBC welterweight champion and the WBA Jr. Middleweight Champion; however, the report also stated that Leonard's WBA title was NOT at stake.
I could also give you Flash Gordon's TBP as a source (everyone remembers Flash, who later lost his mind-not that he had far to go in 1981). Gordon did a piece before the fight, giving a bunch of what ifs, like "what if" Hearns pulled a fast one by coming in at 154-claiming he'd only challenge for Leonard's 154 belt. Gordon noted that the 154 was NOT at stake (I can't remember the issue number). Leonard basically kept both belts as a back up plan in case he lost to Hearns, then he'd still have a title and leverage in future negotiations.

bobbydobbs
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I have an update for your Billy Wilson records. His fight with Jack/Jim Hill was on June 21 1890 in Sacramento, CA. The Los Angeles Times (via the Sacramento Bee) said this fight lasted 8 rounds and was stopped by the police.

exact article reported in Los Angeles Times June 22, 1890

Jim Hall and Billy Wilson, colored pugilists, fought eight rounds tonight at the Theater Comique. The affair degenerated into a rough and tumble fight and the police stepped in.

Mike DeLisa
09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Shoemaker --

I have all those issues of Flash and I'll review --thanks.

DObbs -- thanks for the update.
-- Mike DeLisa

BDeskins
09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
>>>Deepak -- absolutely -- just please give your source for any changes!<<<

Deepak compiled a hell of a good record for Tommy Freeman. Has he sent it to you Mike?

Mike DeLisa
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't seem to have it on my computer -- can you resend to me?

BDeskins
09-16-2006, 05:49 AM
He had asked me to send it before, which I thought I did, though I may have just sent it to Tracy, so I'm assuming he will not mind now...he did a hell of a job adding date and locations to the early bouts and added some new bouts.

I'd like to see it up in the encyclopedia as the record we have for Freeman right now is a bit dated...I think from the 86-87 RRB. Though Deepak has more than likely done more research on it, but the one that I have that he last sent me is as complete as any I have ever seen for Freeman. It's in the e-mail.

Welsh girl
10-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi,

Does anybody have any information or pictures on George James. He was welsh heavyweight champion in 1939

thanks

kikibalt
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/4ckxd2x.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/2zsqkq0.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/2d8lxn8.jpg

Welsh girl
10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks, that's really great! :)

kikibalt
10-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks, that's really great! :)

Is he somrbody you know?

Welsh girl
10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
He is my father's cousin. I am researching my family tree, and my father has told me bits, but I really wanted to find out more. I'd love a photo too!

kikibalt
10-28-2006, 07:30 PM
He is my father's cousin. I am researching my family tree, and my father has told me bits, but I really wanted to find out more. I'd love a photo too!

I looked and looked, but no photos to be had.

Frank

Welsh girl
10-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I looked and looked, but no photos to be had.

Frank

Thanks for looking!