PDA

View Full Version : Jones vs. Badi Prefight Predictions / Roy Jones Jr. Slips To Spudsville

GorDoom
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Roy Jones, Jr.-Prince Badi July 29
Presser from Max Boxing

LAS VEGAS (April 25, 2006) – Silverhawk Boxing today announced that it has reached an agreement for Prince Badi “The Boxing Prince” Ajamu (25-2-1, 14 KOs) to fight former undisputed light heavyweight champion Roy Jones, Jr. (49-4, 38 KOs) on July 29 at a site to be determined.

Prince Badi, rated No. 5 by the World Boxing Council, is the reigning NABO, WBC Continental Americas, WBC CABOFE, IBC Intercontinental and Pennsylvania State light heavyweight champion.

The Camden, New Jersey-native learned to box in Philadelphia and now lives and trains in Vero Beach, Florida. “Once the American people see me fight Roy Jones, Jr.,” Prince Badi said, “I have no doubts that I’ll be fighting for major world title belts. I want to do what hasn’t been done in my division for a long time, since Roy Jones, Jr., and make my mark by bringing all of the major belts back to the United States.”

Prince Badi also is rated by the World Boxing Organization (#8) and International Boxing Federation (#13).

Boxing Hall of Fame-bound Jones has been a world champion in the middleweight (IBF), super middleweight (IBF), light heavyweight (3-time WBC, WBA, IBF, IBA & 2-time IBO) and heavyweight divisions (WBA). He holds wins against, among the more notables, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, Mike McCallum, Virgil Hill, Otis Grant, John Ruiz and Antonio Tarver.

“We’re excited about Prince Badi getting a shot to fight the great Roy Jones, Jr.,” Prince Badi’s promoter (Silverhawk Boxing founder) Dennis Rider added.

GorDoom
04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I have 3 questions: Who? What? & Why? What is Jones thinking? He doesn't need this nor will it prove anything even if he wins & looks decent doing it.

For a guy who said he'd never hang on past his time ...

GorDoom

justafan
04-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I fear that Jones is on the Championship trail in search of another snoozer with Tarver.

hawk5ins
04-26-2006, 04:10 PM
SO much for the old "I'll never end up like Gerald" motto Jones preached.

They all the same.

Hawk

hagler04
04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Yawn

HE Grant
04-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Roy is obviously lost. He'll fight until he loses another time and that will be that.

diggity
04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Doghouse has posted a bunch of RJJ fight rumors the past year that amounted to nothing. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

GorDoom
05-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Roy Jones Jr. Slips to Spudsville
by Joey Knish from Sweet Science

Roy Jones Jr. was once a pound-for-pound ruler who could dictate fights on his terms. But that was then and this is now.

“Now” is a 37-year-old Roy Jones Jr. who has lost his past three fights, two by knockout, fighting in a Boise, Idaho. Boise? Yes, Boise. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

The debate will go on as to whether Jones was one of the pound-for-pound best. Either he was on the big list because he was so good that he deserved it, or it was a case of Jones being fortunate to reign in one of the weaker divisions at one of its lowest points. There is no disputing that Roy Jones Jr. was one of the best light heavyweight fighters of his time, and lest we forget, moving up to heavyweight in 2003 to defeat WBA champion John Ruiz was no small feat.

Sure, some will argue that it was after all ‘only’ Ruiz, but that Ruiz was not just a heavyweight champion, he was good enough to become a two-time heavyweight champion after he later won back his WBA title. John Ruiz beat Andrew Golota, Fres Oquendo, Hasim Rahman, Kirk Johnson and Evander Holyfield. He couldn’t beat Roy Jones Jr.

But Jones either has gotten old or the division finally started to mature around him. Antonio Tarver started it all by handing Roy his first legitimate loss when Tarver won every alphabet belt in existence as he stunned Jones by knockout in the second round of their bout in May 2005. Previously Jones was saddled with a loss when he was disqualified in the ninth round of his 1997 fight against Montell Griffin for hitting Griffin when he was down.

When Tarver knocked the shine off Jones it opened the doors for other fighters who got the feeling that Jones’ move up to heavyweight and then back down to 175 may have been the straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back. First up was road warrior Glen Johnson who came after Jones and knocked him stiff after nine tough rounds. In less than five shattering months the legitimacy of an entire legacy that took 15 years to build was brought into question.

In his last fight Jones Jr. met Antonio Tarver for the third time and from the opening bell it was clear that victory for Roy was not going to come by having his hand raised at the end of the night – victory for him was being vertical when the final bell rang. It was a moral victory, if anything, but the former undisputed light heavyweight champion was never in the fight and never gave the impression he was willing to do what it would take to win.

That was in October of last year, and now, in late July of 2006, we will find out just how much Roy Jones Jr. has left, if anything. The will to win wasn’t present in his last bout against Tarver and it will be interesting to see if Jones has overestimated himself, or underestimated both Prince Badi Ajamu, the opponent he meets in Boise, Idaho, and Father Time, who seems to be tapping him on the shoulder.

The Boxing Prince, as Ajamu calls himself, looks to be the chosen one for his 25-2-1 record and 34 years of age. Ajamu has done well enough to beat some average competition, but has fallen short the two times he stepped up. The two decision defeats on his resume against Otis Grant and Rico Hoye illustrate that he isn’t an upper echelon boxer, while his draw against Anthony Bonsante indicates the level where his ability likely caps out.

It can’t be money that leads Roy Jones back to the ring this summer, it can only be ego. A fighter who dominated for so many years has now gone 2½ years without the taste of victory. In Boise against a man named Prince he hopes to quench the thirst one last time.

pendleton23
05-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Don't feel sorry for Roy at all.Maybe he should have fought better boxers instead of telling us how great he was!

GorDoom
05-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Pendelton.

GorDoom

TKO Tom
05-28-2006, 07:04 AM
"Don't feel sorry for Roy at all.Maybe he should have fought better boxers instead of telling us how great he was!"

I agree as well. Roy avoided some of the best competition that was available for many years of his career. As a result, we didn't find out about him until the very end. I think Roy was always a little chinny, it just took two good fighters to finally show it - Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson.

Roy is a first ballot hall-of-famer, but his career has been tainted by the fact that it was created upon the backs of many fighters that were no more than hapless. However, Roy had HBO backing him and building him up during his entire career so he was able to get away with it and prosper.

I'm glad he's fighting in Boise, Idaho. Now, after nearly 20 years as a pro boxer he can finally see what it's really like as a real fighter.

HE Grant
05-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Usual silly Roy arguments made by Roy haters...guess James Toney and Bernard Hopkins among others were simply shitty fighters that Roy scumed by ... aren't you guys done with and embarrassed by this position already?

Roy's story is simple. He was the greatest fighter of his generation at the top of his game. He was also the sum of his parts. While they worked at their peak he was exceptional. When they began to break apart his vulnerabilities were exposed. Simple as that.

Give the man his due and move on....

robertk
05-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Greatest fighter? How about ricardo lopez?

Chuck1052
05-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Over the past thirty years, Boise, Idaho has been booming
largely due to the fact that it has attracted a number of
"high-tech" companies with good-paying jobs. In other
words, Boise is far from being some "hick" town despite
being located in a state famous for it potato industry.

- Chuck Johnston

walshb
05-29-2006, 02:52 AM
I think Roy was obviously very taleneted, but he just failed to really excite and I think his two KO losses take the shine off his brilliance. Beat Hop to me does not deserve the greatest accolade as Hop I believe is highly overrated. Beating a Peak JT would tell me that Jones was superb, but JT was nowhere close to being at his best. Totally weight drained and uninterested. Jones would have lost to the real greats like Monzon, Hagler, Robinson real bad....As for the LH greats, he doesn't beat Spinks, Moore, Foster either.

HE Grant
05-29-2006, 08:27 AM
That's what cracks me up about the Jones detractors...always great excuses for Jones wins ...Hopkins was the dominate middleweight of his era other than Jones, defended the title 19 times (or so) , knocked out the light heavyweight champ and is still a tough s.o.b. today at 41. Toney had weight problems...interesting....the same problems that did not keep him from being the top fighter pound for pound in the world when JOnes thrashed him, no different but now that he got diced by Roy it was a unique situtation...Jones shuts out Ruiz and Ruiz is nothing, except that Ruiz did fight a still reasonable version of Holyfield three time on equal footing, beat Golata, beat Rachman and so on...

Like I said, give Jones his due and move on.

Steve Coughlin
05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
"Greatest fighter? How about ricardo lopez?"

You nailed it, robertk!!! IMO, Finito Lopez was the best fighter of the last decade. And I'd put quite a few others from that time over Roy too.

Roy's story is simple all right - have a network fawn all over you, let you fight guys that have no business being ranked on prime time or PPV and the SECOND you get in with a serious threat YOU GET KNOCKED THE PUCK OUT!

Roy's just lucky that he never crossed paths with Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Gerald McClellan or Julian Jackson because he would have been KOd far eariler that Tarver did it to him.

HE Grant
05-30-2006, 06:34 PM
So you rank Eubank and Benn over Tony and Hopkins? I don't.
I do admit I'd like to have seen them fight.

GorDoom
06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
SURPRISE! ROY JONES IS A NO-SHOW

BOISE, Idaho -- As usual Roy Jones Jr. was an apparent no-show at a planned press conference Thursday to promote his July fight. The press conference was set up to help hype Roy Jones Jr's return against "Prince" Badi Ajamu for the North American Boxing Organization's light heavyweight title. Jones has a history of blowing off scheduled Press Conferences.

According to published reports by The Associated Press, Jones remained at his home in Pensacola, Fla. Another press conference is planned for Friday and is scheduled to have Jones to appear by satellite.

Ajamu and other participants showed up for the press conference.

James Snodgrass, director of event service was quoted by the AP as saying about the matter "Obviously frustrated, But this is going to be the biggest sporting event in the history of Boise, and if it works out I'll be thrilled. It's a title fight with a big name athlete, a big name event. I'm not going to lie, we're very excited about this."

GorDoom
06-03-2006, 03:10 AM
Roy Jones Jr. says a loss and he's done

BOISE (AP) — Roy Jones Jr. says he'll quit boxing if he loses his next fight.
"I doubt it, but if I do lose I'm pretty much going to be calling it a day," Jones said Friday, participating by telephone from Pensacola, Fla., in a news conference to promote his fight here next month with Prince Badi Ajamu.

"I hate to think of it like that," said Ajamu, who called himself a fan of Jones. "But inevitably it's a reality that's going to be faced come July 29."

In the scheduled 12-round bout at Qwest Arena, Jones will end a 10-month layoff and try to take Ajamu's North American Boxing Organization light heavyweight title.

The 37-year-old Jones (49-4) is a former middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight champion. But he's lost his last three fights, two by knockout.

Jones said he's "very motivated because some people think I've lost it."

The 34-year-old Ajamu (25-2-1) has never fought someone of Jones' stature.

The two do have a common opponent of a sort in Antonio Tarver, who holds most of the belts for light heavyweight champion given by various world boxing organizations. Jones fought Tarver in three title fights — Ajamu faced Tarver as a sparring partner.

"It just shows me I can compete at that level," Ajamu said. "But I know the world hasn't seen that."

Tarver handed Jones two of his last three losses and took all of Jones' championship belts in the process.

GorDoom
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Roy has always had an outsized ego but now he's devolved into being totally delusional.

GorDoom

Roy Jones Jr.

Friday In a press conference to hype his upcoming fight with "Prince" Badi Ajamu, Roy Jones, Jr. (via telephone from his hometown, Pensacola, Florida), said he is still the Best in the World.

Roy stated, "I'm still the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, when I'm motivated, and I'm motivated now because a lot of people don't think that I am the best. If I lose it, I doubt it; I will call it a day. I'm not concerned about what I'm going to do (after boxing). If I win, but not in good fashion, I could call it a day.

Roy added, "I'm extraordinary. People are going to get the old Roy Jones, Jr."

diggity
06-03-2006, 07:37 PM
I honestly hope he gets safely KOd and retires. Enough is enough already. I can do without this version of RJJ running around the ring to avoid getting hit.

pendleton23
06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Roy Jones was one of the most talented boxers to ever put on the gloves.He did beat Hopkins.But hopkins went on to establish himself as one of the greatest middleweight champions in the history of the sport.
They should have fought a rematch but didn't because Roy has got to have the lions share of the money.Funny because Roy couldn't sell-out anything but acted like he did.And who accomplished more in there career-Hopkins or Jones?I as everyone else would have loved to see a Hopkins-Jones rematch.
So I am tired of all the Roy Jones supporters of talking about Jones.What did he do in the last 5 or 6 years?Nothing.Hell I can go back further then that.
The only times he was tested he got KNOCKED OUT.

HE Grant
06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Jones has a unique place in history. He dominated his era, defeating it's best fighters but did avoid some serious challanges such as Eubanks and Benn ...McCellum went out but it would have been a very scary fight for Jones...he reaches exceptional heights by shutting out a heavyweight champ, is almost excepted and excused by all and then he gets flattened , twice...I honestly cannot think of any other fighter in history with a similar story...

He should pack it in...there is no way he should be saying he's the best after his last few performances..he sounds frightened and more than a little miserable...the best we'll see is a late career Camacho...the worst could be John Tate.

diggity
06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
At a press conference this weekend at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis to hype Roy Jones vs Prince Amaju on July 29th, Jones suprised the media by showing up. Although Jones was 45 minutes late, he is famous for not showing up at all for press conferences. Roy Jones Jr made a startling revelation on why he lost the third fight against Antonio Tarver. Jones Jr blames his father for that loss, saying he made a conscience decision to loss. He made that choice in the fifth round of the fight. Jones says that is when he decided that he wasn't going to win the fight.

Jones Jr is quoted by Tim Smith of the New York Daily at the conference as saying: "If I had won the fight my father would have gotten all the glory and he didn't deserve it. If I had knocked out Tarver they would have said it was because of him. My father don't deserve this. Where were you the last 12 years? He's a sharp guy. Having him was more bad than good. He's a good boxing guy. He taught me. But he's not good for me.''"

GorDoom
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Evan, remember when you used to rail at me that Roy Jones was "the new breed of athlete." & that it was unfair of me to hold him to standards as a fighter that just didn't apply to him because of his vast superiority both mentally & physically?

Well ... You were wrong my friend. He's just another delusional pug just like Bowe or Holyfield or Chavez. & yes it IS time to hold him to the same standards as former greats in his division like Moore, Foster, Spinks, Johnson, etc.

& when you do, he fails the standard, miserably.

Below is the press conference in full & we all can enjoy the "new breed" babbling like a fucking idiot. The stuff about his father is just incredible. The "new breed" loses a fight on purpose to show up his father?

Puh-Leeze ...

GorDoom

ROY JONES PRESS CONFERENCE

By Tim Smith

This being a gathering of boxing writers, and being that they were waiting for Roy Jones, Jr. to show up, there was an over-under on how long it would be before Jones showed up or whether he would show up at all.

An hour late was the most popular bet. That he wouldn't show up at all was popular among the veteran scribes who had been on the short end of a promised Jones appearance in the past. Plus, he had stiffed the press in Boise, Idaho at a press conference there to announce his fight against Prince Badi Ajamu on July 29. So what made this motley group at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis so much better?

Jones showed up 45 minutes late, 15 minutes under the most popular bet. And he was full of revelations. The cynic in me says that he was so revealing because he was trying to sell a pay per view show (let's face it no one is going to fly to Boise to see Jones fight Ajamu). The less cynical part of me said here was a fallen superstar who is facing doubts and obstacles that he has never faced before.

Either way it was a compelling session.

Jones said he made a conscious decision to lose the third fight against Tarver because he didn't want his father, Roy, Sr., to get any of the glory if he won. Jones revealed that it took his body a year and a half to recover from going up to heavyweight and then dropping 25 pounds of muscle to move back down to light heavyweight. And he predicted that Floyd Mayweather, Jr. would beat Oscar De La Hoya if they fight and if Floyd, Sr. is training De La Hoya.

Jones is refusing to acknowledge that time has taken its toll on his reflexes and slowed him down. He believes that his losses to Tarver and Glen Johnson were due to his having to drop back down to light heavyweight after going up to heavyweight to beat John Ruiz.

"I knew going in that I was making a sacrifice that would hurt me the rest of my career,'' Jones said. "It shocks your whole body. Even the Glen Johnson fight I was dehydrated after the fight. My body was still hadn't re-adjusted to it. It takes a long time.''

Jones' body may have re-adjusted by the time he fought Tarver for a third time, but his head was a mess. He had hired his father again as his trainer after a 12-year split. It was the move of a desperate man reaching back for something that once provided security for him. Jones knew his father could get the best out of him, but the price would be enormous.

During the fight, there was bickering in the corner as Big Roy tried to squeeze out Jones' longtime trainer Alton Merkerson. Jones said his father tried to push Merkerson off the ring apron between rounds so that he could move one of his friends into camera range. About the fifth round of the fight, Jones said he decided that he wasn't going to win the fight.

"If I had won the fight my father would have gotten all the glory and he didn't deserve it,'' Jones said. "If I had knocked out Tarver they would have said it was because of him. My father don't deserve this. Where were you the last 12 years? He's a sharp guy. Having him was more bad than good. He's a good boxing guy. He taught me. But he's not good for me.''

Jones is saying that he deliberately lost a fight to spite his father. I don't believe that's the case. I believe if Jones could have knocked Tarver's head into the 10th round he would have. He lost the fight, now he has rationalized a way to make the loss more palatable to himself. I don't know anyone who hates their father so much that they would imperil themselves or deny themselves something as gratifying as winning a boxing match. What about all that hard work he put in? Down the tubes so the old man can't gloat. The old man didn't throw any punches.

Jones and his father didn't have the typical father-son relationship. It was based on Big Roy transforming Jones into a world champion. And it was abusive. Jones would not relate the extent or the details of the abuses, but he made it clear that he and his father aren't going fly fishing anytime soon.

Jones thinks that father-son, boxer-trainer, dynamic will play out in the Mayweather-De La Hoya match, if and when it is made. Floyd, Sr. will be in De La Hoya's trainer for the match and that will work to the undoing of De La Hoya, Jones believes.

"He's going to beat Oscar,'' Jones said. "If my daddy had brought me anyone he would have gotten him killed. If Floyd has to run 100 miles a day to beat Oscar that's what he'll do because his daddy is in the other corner. This ain't got nothing to do with Oscar.''

It was the kind of insight and analysis that Jones used to offer as a commentator on HBO's "World Championship Boxing.'' But he was canned earlier this year because he didn't want to show up for fighting meetings where the participants were interviewed by the HBO commentators. Jones wanted to show up on the Friday before the fight. HBO wanted him there on Thursday. He said he doesn't miss it.

"HBO got it confused,'' Jones said. "They thought I was supposed to tell you when this guy got married, whether he has a girlfriend, when he got to this country, whether he just got out of jail. I don't need to know all that. I thought I was getting paid to tell you what was happening in the ring.

"I don't have no hate for anybody. I deal with it when it comes. I don't even hate my father and I just told you what kind of a son of a son he is.''

Just like with his father, it was not an amicable split. Jones may never fight on HBO again. It may have more to do with the fact that his skill level isn't what it used to be and there aren't that many attractive matches in his future. But Jones said he isn't ready to quit yet, though he is 1-3 and has lost two by KO since his victory over Ruiz for the WBA heavyweight title.

In hindsight Jones said he probably should have stayed at heavyweight. He said he tried to make the fight with Holyfield after winning the title, but Holyfield wouldn't make a deal with his promoter Don King.

After fighting a string of washed up heavyweights who weren't fast enough to test his chin, Jones would now be considered one of the best heavyweights in the game. Even now he talks about challenging WBC champ Hasim Rahman.

"Looking at Rahman-Toney, I could beat Rahman,'' Jones said. "He's good, be he didn't look like a student of the game. James is a good student of the game, but he won't get himself in shape.''

Jones said after he beat Ruiz he felt like he had accomplished everything in boxing that he could. Now his challenge is different. He wants to prove wrong all those who believe he doesn't have enough left to compete at the upper echelon of boxing.

"When people doubt me that's when I can do something,'' he said.

Jones may be deluding himself as all the great ones do at the end of their careers when he said he will know when to hang 'em up.

"It's certain things I have to see in myself if I'm going to continue or I won't continue,'' Jones said.

Of course he won't tell us what those things are ahead of time so we can look out for them as well. But he promised that he will tell us after he fights Ajamu if those things were not present. Even if Ajamu whips him the same way that Glen Johnson did, I don't think Jones will say he's had enough. He will still be chasing something. The same thing that Evander Holyfield is chasing.

"I'm supposed to go through this guy (Ajamu),'' Jones said. "If I don't go through this guy then it's time for Roy to stop.''

And if he beats Ajamu?

"The next fight will be World War III no matter who it is,'' Jones promised.

Petey
06-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Jones had some talent, but seems to me it was mostly based on good reflexes and a few other physical tools that deserted him a few years ago. Actual boxing ability is something I saw too little of from Roy in his prime for the most part.

Roy's most impressive win to me was against Toney. His victory against Hopkins was before Bernard got up to his peak form. Roy's knock out of Virgil "Over-The" Hill was also impressive. The list of thirty-somtehing postal workers and police officers Roy fought was not impressive to me in the least.

Ruiz? If they'd had a ref (unlike Jay Nady) who let Ruiz fight a clutching, holding fight, Ruiz might've taken it. Kudos to Roy for winning over a guy so much bigger though.

The context I like to look at Roy Jones in is this: How'd Roy have fared against the light heavies of, say, 1977-1983? I haven't seen enough of Galindez, Rossman, or Conteh to really speculate, but thinking Marvin Johnson would have made for some possibilities, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad would have been a long night, Matthew Saad Muhammad would have won in a fifteen round fight, somehow...(Ok, so maybe a more emotional than logical choice there.) Jones would not have known how to hit Dwight Qawi, much less slow his advance, and Michael Spinks would have left Roy holding his head in his lap, detached. Just my time biased opinions mind you. No need to ask me about Roy verus Moore, Foster, Johnson, Charles ect...

Todd
06-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Jones blames Roy Sr. for third loss to Tarver
By Danny Aller
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

Fans and reporters are used to hearing Pensacola's Roy Jones Jr. spout off about his boxing career.

But the bombshell he dropped Saturday morning in Memphis, Tenn., might be the biggest yet.

Jones, speaking to a large group of national boxing media, said part of the reason he lost his last fight against Antonio Tarver was because he didn't want his father, Roy Sr., to get all the credit. [More (http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060621/SPORTS/606210358/1006/NEWS01#)]

DscribeDC
06-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Roy claims he let himself be beaten to get back at his dad?

OMG, that's rich. Talk about a guy taking a cruise down Denial.

diggity
06-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Isn't this treading on dangerous territory saying crap like this?
Sounds like an idiot basically admitting to a fix.

wildhawke11
06-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Dig
First thought that came into my mind. I find it hard to even believe that Jones would come out with a remark like that.

gregbeyer
06-22-2006, 02:33 AM
roy jones...avoided the stiffest comp. got dropped by halfwayers and now has admitted to to a dive.....so yeah, he grant... lets give him his due. a guy that was maybe in line to be immortal but turned into a PUNK.

prossecution is now in order.

greg

bodyblow
06-22-2006, 02:35 AM
he didnt take a dive. he lost because he was scared shitless about getting knocked out again. he practically admitted it to merchant after the fight saying he was only there to hear the final bell. does anyone even care about jones anymore?

Todd
07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Fewer than 700 tickets sold in Boise

Roy Jones Jr. will be fighting for redemption. Kenny Keene for a final chance at a big-time bout. And Boise for a chance to hold such events again. There is a lot at stake on July 29.

But the Treasure Valley sporting public isn't buying into the boxing card at Qwest Arena — at least not yet.

Its nonchalance can be attributed to several factors, none bigger than the card's average ticket price of more than $200.

So far, Boise has shown it isn't ready for pricey sporting events, especially one headlined by a fading star. This is a town, after all, where season tickets for Boise State football can be had for as little as $120.

With fight night less than a month away, fewer than 700 tickets have been sold for Qwest Arena, which holds more than 5,000 for boxing. [More (http://idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060702/NEWS03/607020360&SearchID=73249454716698)]

Todd
07-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Anyone putting cash on Prince Badi? I'm considering it -- he's +300 at my online sportsbook.

Overhand_Right
07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
How can you not find RJJ interesting? Its not like Holyfield who you know are going to slowly trudge to a points loss. With RJJ its the question whether he is so shot that this unknown contender could even cause the sudden & cataclysmic knockout that looms everytime RJJ now fights.

PS Benn would have got his shot had he not blown it v Sugarboy Malinga who RJJ had already iced in 6 easy rds. Eubank was being gifted decisions back-to-back over imported journeyman whilst RJJ was smashing up his challengers.

Im not a RJJ nut ive always been indifferent to him but BE FAIR for christ sake. Sour grapes from a lot of you old timers, not everyone is going to be like Marvelous Marv.

darkknight718
07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
RJJ was probably the most talented fighter of the last twenty years. An embarrassment of raw gifts. The highest level of ability. The most pure athleticism. But mere talent does not a "great" boxer make. Greatness would have been shown by coming back after the Tarver and Johnson losses and beating other top competition. Maybe Roy will yet manage that, but the signs aren't that encouraging.

KOJOE90
07-25-2006, 01:02 PM
UK FIGHT FANS

This fight will be shown live & FREE on EUROSPORT,

2am. Repeated Midday Sunday.

kikibalt
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Is this a AARP boxing show or what?

Frank B.

OMG65
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Funny thing is if I was was forced by gunpoint to pay 19.95 for this or 49.95 for the Rahman/Maskaev card,I'd take this one.Not that I would ever consider buying this but it isn't the worst pay per view value I have ever seen (see Rahman vs Maskaev)

Steve Coughlin
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Remember the good old days of PPV, when the main event would be a Julio Cesar Chavez fight and the undercard featured Julian Jackson and Ricardo Lopez? I don't mean to be too critical, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to watch the undercard of this show if it were an edition of Friday Night Fights or Solo Boxeo.

Steve Coughlin
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Not fer nothin' OMG but the Jones Jr show is $24.95:mad:

But you're right about Rahman. That undercard looks even less interesting as it stands right now.

TKO Tom
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
This might not be a bad buy at $24.95. I think Prince Badi stands a real shot here. Local boy Kenny Keene is on the card and he always makes for a good knock 'em down scrap.

For those of you who have not seen Badi fight before - he's decent. Not bad power, throws quite a few punches and he's a muscular, physical looking guy. I don't know what he takes for a punch. I've seen him fight twice and he'll put up as much resistance as Glenn Johnson or Antonio Tarver did.

It's not a walkover for Jones. Roy is going to have to try.

You know, these PPV cards that aren't HBO produced are usually pretty good. The ones I've bought that have been Top Rank promotions or other Wild Cat PPV's have been worth it.

I'd buy this one if I was going to be home, but I'm heading to Canada for the weekend.

ricky
07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
This shoulld be an intresting card. IMO Ajamu definatly has a good shot at ringing Jones bell. Jones will want to be on his toes for this one, but I don't know if he's still got the legs to box all night. And he's out to prove something to people...bad combo. If the theory about Jones never really having a good chin, but it was just never relevant because the man was just so Damn good is true , then Jones has a major problem coming saturday. Peronally I buy into that theroy, his quickness and reflexes were always his biggest asset... that's what made him so great. A fighter that rellies on that will usually have it catch up with him, and Jones has. Maybe he'll have it catch up to him again.

The card should be an entertaing one, and worth the $$ IMO. Luke Munson always puts on a good fight, last time I saw him he was rocking Vassily Jirov all over the Ring...almost got the KO.

Walker Smith
07-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Funny thing. For about the last 3 months, I've been partying non-stop. I guess this happens about every 1.5 years between girlfriends. Anyways, if I partied as badly for 5 years as I have the last 3 months, I probably would be like, "The World Trade Centers are gone?"

So, for 3 months, I hardly watched any boxing. Even before, I would never miss a fight. Kate Beckinsale could be waiting for me naked at on her couch with a bottle of tequilla and I wouldn't miss the fight (well... maybe). So, when I read all of these results, I kind of think to myself, "why didn't I care that I missed these pay-per-views?" Well, to tell you the truth, they just don't do anything for me.

These upcoming Roy Jones and Hasim Rahman fights are pretty much symbolic to me what boxing has become to me. A complacent gimmick that is slowly losing its appeal.

GorDoom
08-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Anyone Still Jonesin’ for Jones?
By Brett Conway from Max Boxing

After his last fight, many fans thought this former champion was done. Roy Jones Jr. had taken too many shots, had seen his reflexes dull, and he had looked bad in his last four fights (being knocked out in two of them). He lost to Antonio Tarver, got battered by Glen Johnson, and then watched as his former foe, his own Joe Frazier, Bernard Hopkins physically dismantled and psychologically befuddled Tarver to the extent that afterward I doubt the Magic Man could’ve talked or walked the Mason Dixon line. How could he beat any legitimate light heavyweight, they asked? So, moments before the bell rang in Boise, some wondered if he needed an intervention. He just seemed too intoxicated with his own ego to know what was good for him.

These boxing fans weren't alone. On Eurosport, boxing journalist Bob Mee compared Jones to Mike Tyson facing Danny Williams: a shell of his former self. But Mee was wrong. By the time the twelfth was over and the lop-sided decision in Jones’s favor over Prince Badi Ajamu was read, many thought this former champion indeed did have something left. Those of us who had developed a habit for Jones long ago and couldn't kick, couldn't get the monkey off our backs, thought maybe Jones would lead us on another trip. We were still jonesin' for Jones.

When Mee compared Jones to Tyson I couldn’t help but wonder what the guy was smoking. After all, Tyson’s decline was steep and permanent. He had abused his body, his handlers, and his boxing ability. By the time of the Williams fight, Lennox Lewis had already exposed Iron Mike, so there really was nothing left. Jones on the other hand has kept in shape in boxing gyms, on basketball courts, and in work-out rooms since turning pro after the 1988 Seoul Olympics. There was something left in Jones the boxer, but many of us wondered how much.

After winning the lopsided decision over “The Prince," some were crowing. Who is next they asked? A fourth fight against Tarver? A second against Johnson? One against super middleweight king Joe Calzaghe? Bernard Hopkins? Or how about Sugar Ray Robinson circa 1945? After all, the ring announcer in Boise suffering from a hallucination (beware the brown acid) said, Jones may be the best pound-per-pound boxer ever. All I can say to that is I’ve watched Robinson, and Jones is no Robinson.

But he is no Mike Tyson circa 2000 either. He is still a decent fighter. He may be losing his ring powers such as mobility, hand speed, and the hand-eye coordination that produced crazy combinations, but he still has enough to defeat guys of the caliber of an Ajamu.

The fight with Ajamu was a no-brainer. Just check there records. There is one common name on both their records: Canadian super middleweight Otis Grant. In 1999, Jones destroyed Grant in eleven rounds, in one of those title defenses he so often turned into exhibitions. In 2004, Ajamu lost a ten round decision to an aging Grant. For Jones, Grant was just one of many light heavyweight championship challengers; for Ajamu, he was his most noteworthy opponent. Ajamu just didn’t have the experience to cope with Jones.

In Boise, Ajamu, when pressed, pressed the panic button. From the moment the Prince entered the ring, he was just too intense and tight to maintain any flow of energy. After his giddy first round, it seemed the guy was going to quit or was trying to get DQed by throwing low-blows. After a first round in which he was hung up on the ropes, Jones imposed his will and did a real number on Ajamu not so much physically but emotionally and psychologically.

So what’s left for Jones? He can’t win a fourth fight with Tarver because he will get thumped as he was in the first three. He can’t win over Johnson because what Ajamu did for the first round against Jones, Johnson will do all night long. He can’t win over Hopkins because Hopkins will out potshot the potshotting Jones. And he can’t win over Joe Calzaghe because he’s got great boxing skills, is a south-paw like Tarver – always a problem for Jones – and has balls which he proved last September when he defended his title with a broken hand for ten rounds. Any scenario that has Jones defeating any of these guys is a pipe-dream.

In Boise, Roy Jones beat a guy who may be a contender for an alphabet belt but who cannot defeat any legitimate guy right now. But without the skills to fight top guys in the light heavyweight division and too many skills for the young up-and-comers, Jones really has nowhere to go. Right now the best he can be is the new Montell Griffin, the gatekeeper for Tarver, Johnson, and if he unretires, Hopkins. If Jones boxes any longer though, he might get seriously hurt and endure a painful come down. The ending for this former junior middleweight, middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight and pound-per-pound champion might even be sadder than watching Ali lose in Bermuda to the tune of a cowbell. He will crash hard. To turn a phrase, when Jones was at his best, supplying pure stuff, injecting boxing in the 1990s with some excitement, he was all bud, no stems or leaves. At that time, it was HBO we turned on and tuned in. Now, Jones is the one who should drop out.

Rafael
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
No.