PDA

View Full Version : Ron Stander vs. Randall "Tex" Cobb

Kid Achilles
09-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Two tough guys who lacked a huge punch. Cobb at 6'3" and Stander at about 5'11".

I have to go with Tex due to the superior size and lack of knowledge of Stander other than that he was a hard man who briefly stunned Frazier in their fight and fought Roy "Pretty Boy" Shaw, the famous unlicensed boxer, in an illegal matchup

On a side note, here's what Shaw had to say about his fight with Stander.

RS - That’s right. As I said he was the business a real natural big heavyweight. Unbeknown to me he had injured his ribs in training. At first I was smashing him with almighty head shots, that would of put other fighters to sleep, but Stander was saying “That’s it keep it up” I couldn’t believe it! In the third round I switched to his body as the head hunting was a waste of effort. I threw a hook into his ribs and heard him groan in pain, I thought “At last, a weakness!” A few more shots and over he went, I had never been so pleased to finish a fight. I don’t think I could have beaten him without the rib injury he picked up.

Note the extreme modesty from Shaw. Something that I had to point out (now that I've already deviated from the subject of my post) because of how refreshing it was to see.

gregbeyer
09-21-2005, 02:20 AM
the stander that ko'd shavers would give randall a tough fight. he became an untrained trial horse after frazier but his early record shows some good wins.
greg

SageBrush
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Post Frazier i do not think The Bluffs butcher was too interested in the inside of a gym, if indeed he ever was, but you should probably forget later "Efforts" like the Merritt Fight, The Shavers Stander, That "Bluffs Buthcher" probably had bit more ambition, Albeit againt the Jesse Crown types, If Stander could repeatedly get Randall into a Maul against the ropes, he might have a hope of "Winning Ugly" But Randall has a Jab has a semi-streight Right on occassion, - he Has some long punches, of course not evidant against somebody like Holmes, But hinted at against a fading Norton, so whenever they are at range Randall will be in the driving seat, and up close it will be 60-40 to Ron, but he will not probably be able to maintain the pace that Randall will maintain, Ron may well start to Huff an Puff some after the half way stage, Depending on how Wild Ron has been, he may struggle to see out a 10 Rounder, But i recon he just might be able to drag Randall into a maul against the ropes often enough to sneak the odd breather, or at least slow down the pace and proceedings a bit more to his own likeing, Barring Cuts Randall should be fully on top in the last third, but needs to ensure he does not allow his punching room to be stifled by Ron, But generally i think Ron is something of a Sprinter, with Randall more a Stayer, Randall on points for me, i feel thought that he will be lulled into decending into the pace of Ron, when better tatics might make the Job easier ? But Standing off is probably an alien concept to Randall, as indeed it is to Ron

Hagler04
09-21-2005, 05:26 PM
This would be en antertaining fight for sure, and I favor Stander in the upset.

Cobb despite what people remember was a decent boxer-he could put together some pretty head and body combinations, although they are very slow, and he had strong legs which enabled him to duck down very low for such a tall guy.

But Stander was a bull, who I think had better handspeed and equal if not greater power. Cobb was gassed by round 5 against a way past it, sloth-like Shavers. Stander gave a prime Shavers his first loss. And also gave Frazier a tough tough bout. I think Ron edges Tex in a blood-fest.

StingerKarl
09-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Tex would weather some heavy artillery and be jolted-but I think he stops Stander due to his better conditioning and toughness.
Karl

Forum Flash
10-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Talk about a brawl that belonged more in a bar than a boxing
ring! Neither of these guys had any real style, but man were
they tough! I'd go with Randy "Tex" Cobb. I think he would
have won when Stander was cut like he was vs Frazier.
Probably 5 or 6 rounds.

Newpoppop
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Forum Flash says it best. Cobb had a cast-iron jaw, power and was game to the end. Bewsides, anyone who could get Cosell to quit has my vote.:hat

robertk
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Another shaky vote for cobb.

Let me guess, the winner takes on another alltime crude brawler; mike schutte.