PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mike Quarry

phlboxarc
06-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Rest in peace Mike, You always gave your best.

bomma
06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I was very sad to hear this. My sympathies to his family who has meant so much to boxing.

Ron Lipton
06-13-2006, 11:21 AM
55 years old. My God, just horrible.

Jerry gone at 53 and Mike at 55. This is really frightening stuff.

He was a really courageous and talented professional prize fighter who stood on his own as a top light heavyweight.

Poor guy,in a nursing home. Life is so precious every second of it.

Young men today have really got to think about taking all those punches in the gym and in the ring. It takes it's toll and we are learning about it more and more as much as we have learned that cigarettes are death, so are too many punches with the gloves.

evander
06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Both brothers had way to much heart than there bodies could endure,RIP

gregbeyer
06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
my condolences to the quarry family. the losses they have suffered are tough to reconcile.

i saw a lot of mike's fights and also a few of the sparring sessions with brother jerry. while jerry had more power i always felt that mike had more desire. i was never certain that jerry loved the game as much as mike did. mike WANTED to be a fighter.

i remember reading a news article once where as a promotion a disc jockey wanted to spar with mike. mike agreed but did not take it as easy as the dj was hoping. when it was over mike told a reporter..."i wanted him to feel the sting of a professional fight".

a blend of jerry's power and mike's dedication would have surely resulted in a championship even in their day.

together again...the brothers quarry. they will be remembered well for their fighting spirit.
RIP
greg

rocky111
06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
It just gets sadder doesnt it? What tragic news. Too early for Mike and Jerry. Ya gotta remember Mike as a handsome kid with all the heart in the world who took it to Bob Foster in a attempt to beat a guy considered unbeatable at the time. The Quarry family has everything to be proud of with Jerry and Mike and I will remember them both with a nod and a smile; A smile for the enjoyment they gave me and a nod for the knowledge that it cost their lives. RIP

Juan C Ayllon
06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
It's always a sad thing to see someone pass prematurely. The Quarry brothers surely gave all they had and then some to a sport that ultimately cut short their lives.

I still remember watching the broadcast of that night. First, Mike Quarry got stopped, then his brother, Jerry, tried his best, charging at Ali like a bull and actually lifting Ali off his feet a time or two as he cornered him and Ali held on, but fell short as he was cut up by Muhammad Ali.

That knockout loss to Foster was brutal. Yet, in a way, I think it summed up Mike's efforts to rise to championship status: he worked very, very hard, caught some abuse and ultimately fell short of his dream. And, true to the Quarry fighting spirit, he went out on his shield.

Rest in peace,

Juan C. Ayllon