PDA

View Full Version : Brock-Ibragimov Pre-fight, Press, Results, Discussion

GorDoom
06-21-2006, 11:16 AM
You Can Bank On Calvin Brock
by Rick Folstad from Sweet Science

An American heavyweight contender with a college degree? That’s like a truck driver with season tickets to the opera, a bouncer who moonlights as a concert pianist.

Contenders don’t graduate from college. They grow up trying to fight their way out of the city’s mean streets before they die of an overdose.

You know the story. Tough kid grows up in a bad neighborhood. Drug pushers on every street corner. Drops out of school at 14, joins a gang, steals a car, meets an understanding cop, takes up boxing and turns his life around.

That’s not Calvin Brock, it’s Mike Tyson.

Brock is the other guy, the rare contender with the four-year degree, the supportive parents and some promising options after boxing.

And it’s not like Brock graduated with one of those mail order, fifty-dollar, study-at-home degrees in beach volleyball from Acme State.

Brock is legitimate. He earned a degree in finance from the University of North Carolina – Charlotte, which explains why he’s been called The Boxing Banker.

It’s a special thing to have a college degree. Brock might want to use it later on in life if the fight game doesn’t work out quite like he hopes it will, like he expects it to. Both his parents have college degrees, so following their example made it a little easier when he was growing up.

But he’s not into banking right now. He’s into boxing, has been for most of his life. He says it’s in his heart, that he started dreaming of someday turning pro when he was just eight years old.

That dream came true five years ago.

“I think the appeal was the one-on-one competition,” Brock (28-0, 22 KOs) said on a recent conference call promoting his Saturday night fight with Timor Ibragimov (21-0-1, 13 KOs) at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas (HBO). “I like the preparation for boxing, the excitement, the tournaments, the traveling, the TV. I like everything about it.”

Asked what he knows about Ibragimov, who is from Uzbekistan but fighting out of Florida, Brock said he’s watched tapes of three of his fights.

“He’s an outside boxer and I plan on getting him out of there by landing my shots,” said Brock, who comes from Charlotte. “I am good at finding my opponent and landing my shots.”

Along with having a degree, Brock is one of the few heavyweight contenders out there who has never struggled with his English.

Against Ibragimov, he’ll be facing another talented heavyweight from the Eastern Bloc, a growing group of large, hardnosed fighters who are slowly taking over the heavyweight division.

“Most of the [American] athletes today are playing football, basketball and baseball,” said Brock, when asked why most of today’s heavyweight champs have names we can’t spell or pronounce.

Asked the same question, Ibragimov said it was a very good thing for guys like him.

“Before, I was sure that the best heavyweight came from America,” Ibragimov said. “Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman. Now, the champions are coming from the former Soviet Union. Today, when you ask anybody who the best heavyweight is, they say [Wladimir] Klitschko or somebody else, but they never say an American. Before, yes. But no now.”

Which separates Brock that much more from the rest of the contenders and champions. He’s an educated American heavyweight with a good right hand and a name you don‘t stumble over.

“I am definitely going to make a statement [Saturday night],” he said. “And the world will be drooling for me to take on one of the world titleholders.”

You can bank on it.

GorDoom
06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Life has been a trip for the Born-Again Brawler
By Michael Woods
Special to ESPN.com

Calvin Brock, decades before he matured into the best American heavyweight boxer on the scene, used to sit in his room and contemplate his future.

Who am I? What is my purpose?

The other kids were riding bikes, rough-housing, busy manufacturing scrapes that cried out for mom's attention. But Brock, who faces the stiffest test of his career when he meets unbeaten Uzbekistani Timor Ibragimov in Las Vegas on Saturday, was different. He pondered heavier questions.

At age six, living in Charlotte, N.C., with his parents, young Cal was in his room, daydreaming about topics adults are often hesitant to touch.

What's my purpose in life? he asked himself. The answer didn't immediately spring to mind, so Brock repeated the query, this time to God.

God, what's the purpose of my life? Again, silence.

He waited. And asked again. And kept asking.

Two years later, it was the Christmas season. His Uncle Cornell was in town and he put a gift under the tree for young Cal, who tore into the package. He unwrapped a box, reached in and pulled out a soft, puffy object. It was a boxing glove.

He wasn't displeased but he was slightly puzzled. He had never expressed an interest in boxing. He never watched fights on TV. He asked Cornell why, and Cornell sort of shrugged. He didn't know why he bought the boxing gloves for his sister's son either. He just did.

But unlike so many baubles that are flash-in-the-pan faves on Christmas morning, young Cal didn't obsess over the gloves and then toss them into his closet on Jan. 1, never to be seen again until it was time for a yard sale cleanout.

The gloves fit Cal. And the sport fit him too. At age eight, in 1983, Calvin Brock decided what he wanted to do with his life. He wanted to box.

The gift of gloves, he decided, came from God, through Uncle Cornell. Brock is sure of that.

That knowledge, that God's hands were bestowing the mitts, is unshakeable. That certitude comes from Brock's faith, which was cemented in 1981. One day, he was in his room again, asking those heavy-duty questions. This time, he was pondering heaven and hell. Where am I headed? he asked himself.

With no answer apparent, he went to his mom.

Mom, when I die, will I go to heaven or hell?

You have to be saved to go to heaven, his mom answered.

Are you saved? Cal asked.

Yes, she replied.

Is Daddy saved? Yes, she said.

Now, the big one.

Am I saved?

No, his mother said.

Cal went to his dad to learn more. He needed a second opinion.

Daddy, I want to be saved. How do I go about it?

You have to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. He then launched into the prayer of salvation with Calvin. At the age of six, Calvin Brock, who really had just been born, in the grand scheme of things, was born again.

In North Carolina, Brock set put to learn the craft of the sweet science. His skills and killer instinct made his wish to master the sport, and not quit until he won a professional championship, look more and more viable as he grew. Brock climbed his way up the amateur ladder, and fought in the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. He lost to Paolo Vidoz at super heavyweight class and moved into the professional ranks, finishing his amateur tenure with a 150-38 mark.

His first punch-for-pay appearance came on Feb. 11, 2001, against Zibielee Kimbrough, whom he defeated with a TKO in the third round. Since then he has amassed 28 wins against no losses, and has notched 22 KOs enroute. His biggest test, though, looms large.

On Saturday, Brock, 31, will lace up against another undefeated boxer, Ibragimov (21-0, 13 KOs). They will meet at Caesars Palace in Vegas, and the stakes are considerable. Brock is rated No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 by the IBF, WBA and WBC, respectively. If he handles Ibragimov, 31, a schooled battler with more than 200 amateur fights under his belt, a title shot will certainly come by the end of the year. The born-again brawler doesn't try to hide his intent come June 24, which is to knock out Ibragimov.

"Knockout artists are born," he says, "I'm a knockout artist. I've always had that killer instinct."

The God-fearin' Charlotte resident continues to share his MO when he has a foe in peril. "I smell blood, I finish 'em," he says. His right hand and his left hook are both capable of delivering consequential blows.

Coming into this challenge against Ibragimov, one of the wave of ascendent eastern and central Euros making their way up the rungs, Brock is regarded as the best American heavyweight. Why aren't more Americans dazzling fight fans? Do they lack a work ethic?

"Maybe the Euros work harder," Brock says. "They leave home early, and they go to Germany, or they come here and they make a big sacrifice. The sacrifice makes them hungry."

But Brock's stomach is making growling noises as he waits for a meaningful shot. And he has sacrificed too, he points out. In 2000, Brock, a 1999 UNC-Charlotte grad, left his job as an operations call analyst at the Bank of America in Charlotte and leapt into his Olympic quest with both feet.

Calvin Brock will get a chance Saturday to show his finishing instincts to fight fans on Saturday. If he imposes his will and his fists on Ibragimov, his promotional outfit, Main Events, is looking to match Brock with titleholders Wladimir Klitschko, Nicolay Valuev or Sergei Liakhovich.

"As soon as Brock gets in the ring with one of them, the U.S. heavyweight picture will turn around," says Main Events VP Carl Moretti.

Brock is known as The Boxing Banker for promotional purposes, but perhaps a better handle is The Born-Again Battler. His 22 KOs are proof positive that a hardcore Christian can get nasty when push comes to shove in the ring. He's planning on getting nasty June 24. "I am good at finding my opponent and landing my shots," Brock says. "Once I land my shots, Ibragimov will be out of there."

GorDoom
06-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Brock After Dark
By Steve Kim from Max Boxing

Top Rank is billing its August 12th pay-per-view card featuring Hasim Rahman's defense of his WBC heavyweight title against Oleg Maskaev as 'America's Last Line of Defense'.

This jingoistic slant, while a rather weary attempt to drum up interest in an event that figures to falter at the box-office, does have a point. Currently, out of the four major title belts, Rahman is the only American, while the other three major titlists (Wladimir Klitschko, Sergei Liakhovich and Nicolay Valuev) are from the former Eastern Bloc, as is Maskaev.

So if 'The Rock' is indeed the red, white and blue’s last line of defense, it can be said that maybe Calvin Brock, who faces Timur Ibragimov at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas as a featured performer on HBO's Boxing After Dark, is in the reserve corps.

“That’s just the way it is right now," Brock would tell Maxboxing of the current landscape in the game’s glamour division."There's nothing anyone can do about it right now. Most of the top heavyweight athletes are playing other sports and if they fail to make it pro, then it's too late for boxing for them. After going through college and not making it in the pros, then they have to get a job."

Brock believes the Euro big men come in with a tougher mindset, one that is based on a certain sense of desperation.

“They’re leaving their country, coming here to the United States, making the sacrifice, throwing all their eggs in one basket and giving everything that they have to become champion of the world," says Brock.

The 28-0 heavyweight is a graduate of UNC Charlotte, and could have long ago started a fruitful career in the business world - hence the moniker ‘The Boxing Banker’, but boxing consumes him.

“This was in my heart," he says. "That's where my dream lies, ever since I've been eight years old. God has given me a purpose for me to become heavyweight champion of the world. I'm just not satisfied with having a job and doing something outside of what God has purposed in my heart to do - and that is to become heavyweight champion of the world.

“So I'm just as hungry as all those Europeans, or even more."

Brock, who was originally inked out of the 2000 Olympic Games by the now defunct America Presents and is now handled by Main Events, has been developed the old fashioned way: slowly and steadily.

Unlike his Olympic teammates, such as Jermain Taylor, Rocky Juarez, Jeff Lacy and Ricardo Williams, there were no bidding wars for his services. And unlike his more ballyhooed teammates, he wasn't a fixture on television till about 2004, when he would decision Terry Smith over ten rounds on NBC. But even then, in between televised spots against Clifford Etienne, Jameel McCline and Zuri Lawrence, Brock had to keep himself busy on non-televised events.

“I wish that all prospects could be developed like a Calvin Brock, where they get 25 fights under their belt and they're starting to move up the ladder," says Carl Moretti, V.P. and matchmaker for Main Events. "But because the business has changed so much, you don't have that liberty or freedom.

“There’s pressure from networks, the managers and promoters and the fighters themselves - they want to be paid more money and moved a little quicker and get to the top. When that happens, sometimes they're not ready so they don't reach that level. This case, I think he's clearly gotten better every fight and it shows. That's why if the title fight doesn't come, there's nothing wrong with taking two, three more fights on TV against solid opposition. It's only going to make him a better fighter."

Under the tutelage of bright, young trainer Tommy Yankello, that native of Charlotte, North Carolina has steadily improved. While not the biggest, strongest or fastest of heavyweights around, what Brock has is a set of heavy hands, and he has become adept at utilizing subtle head movement, tucking in his chin and becoming a craftier boxer/puncher.

This past February, he would get a spot on the HBO Pay-Per-View undercard of the Shane Mosley-Fernando Vargas encounter at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas against perennial spoiler Zuri Lawrence. It was a rather slow affair for the first five-and-a-half rounds in front of a sparse gathering.

But then Brock would shock everybody and wake up whatever audience there was with a terrifying left hook that had Lawrence out on his feet, cold, before he ever hit the canvas. For a few minutes, everyone inside the Mandalay Bay Events Center held their collective breaths as Lawrence was attended to by the medical personnel. Oxygen was applied while he was prone on the canvas.

With the thoughts of the late Leavander Johnson still lingering, everyone let out a huge sigh of relief when Lawrence would regain consciousness and get back on his feet.

It was a heart-stopping and exhilarating knockout, one that was scary, brutal and exciting at the same time.

“I opened the world's eyes," Brock said of that performance. "I showed people that not only do I have power in my right hand, I got it in my left hand and it can show at anytime."

Coming into that fight, Lawrence had never been stopped.

“I did expect it," he said of a possible knockout versus Lawrence. "I knew that he was a very tough guy to reach. That's why I didn't go in there trying to overwork myself and overpower him until he opened up because he has fast hands and a good inside game; he's in and out, pretty quick. I knew that if I kept him busy and brought him down to the body in the middle and late rounds, he was going to open up and once I caught him, I'd have him out of there."

It was an award winning KO.

"Clearly, I think it will be 'knockout of the year'; the fact that he's a heavyweight and it happened on that show opened a lot more eyes and brought people’s attention to a division that needed it and still needs it," said Moretti.

Its performances like that on the big stage that can get you on platforms like the revived Boxing After Dark, which is precisely where Brock finds himself this weekend.

“I’m real excited because there are a lot of boxers out there that would kill to get on HBO and I'm one of the few boxers in the world that has their own show on HBO. So that's a real good position to be in," he says of his opportunity.

Brock will be facing a fellow undefeated in Ibragimov, whose mark stands at 21-0.

“He’s a decent boxer, has a decent jab, right hand, he moves well. That's about it," he says in sizing up his foe. "But I've boxed a lot of guys who move well and have decent jabs and good right hands. He doesn't have a devastating right hand but he throws it pretty good.

"But you'll see me break him down pretty good," he continues. "It's no big deal, you'll see me break him down and once I start connecting, you'll see me take him right out."

And if he should get past Ibragimov, does Brock, who is now a consensus top ten heavyweight, get a crack at a title?

“You’d like to think that he could fight one of the champions out there," Moretti says. "But because of political reasons I don't know how many doors are open to do that. He'll be just as happy in fighting again on HBO or any other major network for good money against a quality opponent. We're just not going to take the first offer that comes down the street because it's for the title. It has to be a fair offer."

Brock is itching for it.

“No doubt," he says with conviction. "I'm primed and ready. I think the world is ready for me to become champion of the world and I've been saying for a long time that I'm the real heavyweight champion. As long as the demand equals the risk and the opportunity, it will happen.

“It’s inevitable, and it's gonna happen after I win this boxing match."

GorDoom
06-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Guru Bos Thinks Brock Handles ‘Awkward’ Ibragimov On Saturday

Wizard of Bos picks Calvin Brock from Sweet Science

In the battle of two heavyweight undefeateds on Saturday night, NYC fight guru Johnny Bos thinks Calvin Brock will do what he has to do against Uzbek Timor Ibragimov.

“I think he knocks him out,” says Bos, who has acted as advisor to Team Brock during his ascent up the ranks. “I’ve seen Ibragimov in person and on tape, and he’s more of a survivor than anything else.”

“Timor is awkward,” Bos continues, “but he’s not Sultan. Sultan (his cousin) is better.”

Brock, age 31, will bring a record of 28-0 (22 KOs) to Caesars Palace. Ibragimov (21-0-1), also 31, has fought a lower caliber of competition than Brock, but is the more experienced amateur, by a small margin.

With a potential November date with Wladimir Klitschko on the line, Brock can’t look past Ibragimov, and would be well served to make a strong declaration that he possesses a finishing instinct by jumping on the Uzbek, and looking to take him out early…

diggity
06-22-2006, 06:30 PM
I like Brock but the only thing I'll bank on is Brock getting KTFO sooner than later.

GorDoom
06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Brock represents great American hope in heavyweights

By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY
When undefeated Calvin Brock faces unbeaten Timur Ibragimov in a 12-round featured bout from Caesars Palace's outdoor amphitheater Saturday (HBO, 10:30 p.m. ET), the Charlotte native will try to strike a blow for up-and-coming American heavyweights. In short, he'll try to strike a blow for himself.
Asked to name another rising heavyweight prospect from the USA, Brock said, "There are none that I know of. I don't know anyone that has the potential to challenge."

Indeed, Brock (28-0, 22 KOs) is an exception in a largely unimpressive picture that asks the question, Where have all the great American heavyweights gone?"

American fighters once dominated the division but have gradually given way to the emerging superiority of heavyweights from the former Soviet Union.

Among boxing's major sanctioning bodies, three of the four heavyweight beltholders are from the former Soviet Union. Oleg Maskaev, 37, of Kazakhstan, will try to make it a clean sweep when he fights WBC champion Hasim Rahman, 33, the only titleholder left from the USA, in an Aug. 12 rematch billed as "America's Last Line of Defense." Maskaev won their first fight in 1999 by knockout.

"Most of the athletes today are playing football, basketball and baseball," says Brock, who got his pro boxing start just five years ago after competing on the 2000 U.S. Olympic boxing team while earning a degree in business administration from UNC-Charlotte.

"I played baseball and football, but I never had a desire to be a pro in those other sports. Boxing was always in my heart. I had that desire since I was 8 years old."

Roy Jones Jr., who's back fighting at light heavyweight after beating John Ruiz in 2003 for the WBA heavyweight crown, says the dwindling number of American heavyweights can be traced to their lack of early development.

"It starts in amateur boxing, not professional boxing," Jones says. "Most of the amateur boxers now, even in the Olympics, the heavyweights are 25 or 30 years old.

"For us, a good heavyweight should be groomed and at the Olympics by 21 or 22 at the most. But if you look at the last few guys at heavyweight, from (1988 gold medalist) Ray Mercer on down, they were older guys who won because of their endurance and age rather than with skills. But once they turned pro, they didn't have long because they were too old."

Ibragimov (21-0-1, 13 KOs), of Uzbekistan, now fighting out of Hallandale, Fla., agrees that early training is essential. "Maybe this is a point for us because a lot of American heavyweights do not have amateur experience," he says.

Brock, like Ibragimov, is 31. With thunder in both his right hand and left hook, Brock thinks his best boxing years are ahead of him.

"I am a young 31 years old, and I achieved my dream of going to the Olympics and graduating from college," Brock says. "If I had turned pro in '96 and not gone to the Olympic trials, I may have been in the shadow of Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis and some of the others, and my body was not developed the way it is now."

Brock's promoter, Carl Moretti of Main Events, predicts it's just a matter of time before the USA regains its heavyweight status.

"As soon as Brock gets in the ring with (WBA champion Nikolai) Valuev, (IBF champion Wladimir) Klitschko or (WBO champion Sergei) Lyakhovich, it will turn around," Moretti says.

kikibalt
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
http://i5.tinypic.com/15f6eqv.jpg

Calvin Brock (L)

TKO Tom
06-24-2006, 08:24 AM
The biggest opponent tonight in Vegas will be the heat. The HBO card is being fought outside at Caesars Palace and the temperature will be over 100 degress in the ring at fight time.

I like Brock in the heat. I don't know much about this Ibrigamov, but I know white guys from Europe and Russia don't do well in the heat while black guys from the south usually do.

Brock is a pretty good fighter to boot, I've seen him fight in person and he's got very good overall skills and is fundamentally very sound. The fight will be fought at a slow pace, I think, because of the oppressive heat.

I like this fight though outdoors at Caesars. Seems like old times don't it?

GorDoom
06-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Per usual we will post the results immediately upon the conclusion of the bouts. We will also give round by roud updates as necessary. Please keep all discussion of these bouts to this thread.

Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Anybody Up For Covering The HBO Fights For The CBZ Tonight?

I promised the old ball & chain (the lovely, Mrs. Bucket), a couple of weeks ago, that I would take her out to dinner tonight assuming one of our four regular, "fight night" coverage guys would be able to do it.

Well ... Both Todd Hodgson & Daddy Mo' Fo' have family visiting this weekend - & hell, that's an excuse you can't question - Dig is unreacheable today. So i'm sure he's continuing with the hottie twins he managed to snag home & kidnap last night ...

& then there's me.

Any of you who are married can understand my trepidation in saying to Mrs. Bucket: " Hey, forget about going out to dinner tonight, there's a big fight card on HBO!".

Yeah, that will go over real smooth ...

So, I need a man.

No, not for that.

To step up to the plate & cover the fights for us. I will be eternally greatful, not that, that will ultimately do anything for you ... But if you're a CBZ boxing guy there will literally be untold thousands of people who either don't have HBO or live or fight overseas that will appreciate it greatly.

thanks,

GorDoom

Kurant
06-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I know this has nothing to do with the fight..

But the best Lennox line for the night "alot of different basketball players play basketball".

I just laughed, cause they acted like it was never said.

Kurant
06-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Well, since no one seemed to post.

Julio lost in a very one sided fight, got beat in every aspect of it.

Brock worked hard in a pretty drug out battle. Brock dominated the fight fairly easily.

With that said, Julio was a major let down. Outboxed, out-punched, out everything. Seems Buddy just coulden't get it done with Julio.

As for Brock, IMO he doesn't throw enough punches, and doesn't work fast enough. He's pretty much slow and steady. Just a steady barrage of punches, consistent, fairly accurate, but nothing great. But, he got the win. After seeing thing, Klit would just paw him to death with those very fooling, yet quick jabs, and that short left hook he throws when his arm is extended. He just doesn't work fast enough. Maybe sneak in a lucky left hand and hurt him, but other then that, once Brock gets in with a guy who can punch, and a bigger guy with real hand speed, I don't see him getting very far.

Chuck1052
06-25-2006, 02:54 AM
At the beginning, Joel Julio was aggressive, scoring a knockdown
in the first round, but it was downhill from there. Carlos
Quintana had much more in the way of boxing skills, taking
Julio apart during the rest of the bout. I will say that
Julio did seem to do better in the last few rounds,
showing some heart after taking a beating. Julio
has to learn some boxing skills in order to be a
top fighter.

- Chuck Johnston

Chuck1052
06-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Calvin Brock won handily in a very dull bout. Something
to think about....many oldtime matchmakers and promoters
liked to stage all-heavyweight cards. After all, a slow
heavyweight main event looks much, much worse if
there is a semi-main event featuring small boxers fighting
at a fast pace.

- Chuck Johnston

TKO Tom
06-25-2006, 10:26 AM
One thing I noticed last night for the first time is that Brock leaves himself open way too much on the inside. He'll back away with his hands down and push the opponent away and step straight back with his hands down. It's a lazy way of fighting.

Wladimir would expose Brock IMO. That style matchup would be bad for Brock. Calvin can be hit with the overhand right very easily and Wlad has a nice one of those. Klitschko is also a much busier and more active fighter than Brock. If they fight I see Wlad overwhelming him.

apollack
06-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Man that card was a snoozer. Joel Julio mentally gave up on that fight long before it ended. The verdict - frontrunner who needs to rely on his power, but if you have the defense or chin for it, he'll give up and just last the fight. Perhaps he was just frustrated by the southpaw style. Julio's defense is poor, and it was obvious that he has been getting away with using his offense for defense, but last night that didn't work, so he got hit a lot. The key to the win was Quintana's left to the body (it really sapped Jorge) and the counterpunches, particularly with the left.

As for Brock - Ibra "grab" ov, that was one of the most boring fights between two undefeated heavys I've seen in quite some time, and the reason why no one likes to watch top European amateurs - they're BORING! People don't pay money to be bored to tears by safety first guys. Step back, punch, step back, grab. Punch, grab. Step back, grab. Punch then grab. Or just grab. ZZZZzzzz.

Brock has a lot of deficiencies, namely no chin, and he doesn't know how to dip left and dig enough shots all around when a guy grabs him, and he doesn't know how to drop down and dip to the side, which allowed Ibra "bore" ov to continually grab him. Not enough combos either.

BUT ULTIMATELY, this fight was the referee's fault. Vic Drakulich had an awful night. This fight, like many other boring fights I've seen lately, is an excellent example of how a referee can determine how entertaining or boring a fight is. Grabov just wanted to grab, and Vic let him do it. He should have been issuing stern warnings and then taken points off early on to get him to fight. By not doing so, he allowed him to get away with it all night.

And to make matters worse, he continually cautioned Brock for pushing with his left glove when that was a perfectly acceptable reaction to someone who is trying to grab for dear life and stage incessant time outs during the rounds. Push the guy off and not allow him to grab you. An old Corbett move. Yet it was Brock who was cautioned, as if the referee wanted Calvin to allow him to grab all night. Hey guys, this fight isn't boring enough.

And Vic kept stepping in at times when he completely did not need to do so. HE kept the pace slow by continually breaking them and not allowing them to work their way out and fight on the inside, and then when he broke them, he would always push them back as far away from each other as possible so the action would really slow. Then Brock would step in, get grabbed, and he'd do it all over again. An endless dance of one second of action followed by ten to fifteen seconds of nothing. If I were Brock I'd ask the referee, "Why are you pushing on my chest? He's the one that grabbed." Don't these referees ever say to themselves, "Gee, continually breaking them is not making this fight any more exciting, maybe I should do nothing and allow these guys to figure it out, or maybe I should start taking points off."

The proper solution. Let them wrestle for a while, let them work their way out, let Brock figure things out in there and get something going to break this guy down. Or allow Ibra to grab so much that it is obvious what he's doing so you'll be easily justified to take points off and/or disqualify him.

Jack Dempsey used to get grabbed, but he'd dig away in there and break guys. Infighting is part of the sport, and by not allowing it, fights are becoming even more boring. That's how you beat a clutching Jack Johnson fighter. You have to calmly plug and dig away and work him over gradually. You have to know how to gradually work your arms free and dig away. But you can't do that if the referee won't allow you to do so.

kikibalt
06-25-2006, 11:44 AM
http://i3.tinypic.com/15n66fm.jpg

gregbeyer
06-25-2006, 03:51 PM
brock-igrabalot....deserves no comment.

carlos quintana gave a good performance standing up to phenom joel julio and exposing his short comings. julio seems to have fallen in love with his power and needs to concentrate on what his corner is telling him. his lack of a consistant jab and body punching, both of which mcgirt was calling for, was his downfall last nite. i thought he had quit on his face as early as the 8th.

julio went from 4 or 5 rounds of chasing quintana around to standing and inviting him in to finally backing up himself. it was a methodical whipping by quintana that should help julio understand that there are guys out there who are not going to fold under his vaunted power.
greg

JLP 6
06-26-2006, 08:43 AM
"If you don't start fighting we are not going to be here when you get back."

I loved that line from dude's corner.

The fight itself, waas garbage. I do not want to see either of them again. If I here somebody bring up Brock's gay, dancing with little girls during off time thinking it is cool, we are going to be fist fighting. Word!!!

Sharkey
06-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Calvin Brock's next jab with intent will be his first. When he came up I noted he facially resembled James Broad..with a similar body type.

Little did I remember how Broad too was a competent, skilled heavyweight with no real inspring traits (save power perhaps)..like Brock.

Anyone notice how many heavyweights today fight in the mode of dormancy..like when your computer screen goes off to save power? Brock may develop into today's best heavyweight...but like was mentioned above, this guy throws way too few real punches, has an odd habit of delivering power shots when stright blows would do the trick, and doesn't jab but 'touches' and paws.

Ibragimov evidently associated the 12 round distance as his expected 5 round evening plus a 7 round unwinding period. Did he think Brock would merely melt away under his blistering array of clinches?

---------

Julio looked lost when Quintana would not go away. I liked Carlos' style, the herky jerk and his penchant for turning his body away slightly, causing Julio's shots to miss by feet.

What will happen to Q when he faces a guy that side steps?

JLP 6
06-26-2006, 09:23 AM
What happens when he face a guy that cuts the ring of behind the jab. What is up with Mcgirt. Your boy is down 20 rounds to one, tell him to KILL!!!

Dan Gunter
06-26-2006, 02:03 PM
I really enjoyed the Quintana-Julio fight. I watched it again on Sunday and was more impressed by Quintana's skill. He fought an intelligent fight against a guy who--for all his limitations--remained dangerous through most of the fight.

As for Brock-Ibragimov: In contrast with some, I'd be happy to see Brock again--when he gives up boxing and becomes a banker. Perhaps then he could help me out with a home loan. Of course, I would want him to have someone else handle the actual signing of any documents: given his hand speed, it would take him a week to sign all of the loan documents.