PDA

View Full Version : PSI Punching Power Measurement Figures

Cross_Trainer
06-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Aside from the infamous 1000 PSI measurement of Rocky Marciano's, can anyone think of other PSI scores recorded for fighters throughout history?

Apparently, Ring Magazine did an article on this during the '80's, and I have even heard rumors of tests done on Jeffries and Fitzsimmons.

Cross_Trainer
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
I can remember seeing an article in a boxing magazine about Jeff Shellberg scoring the highest of any fighter ever tested on the machine. The article mentioned that he scored higher than Marciano. Guess those scores don't mean too much...

Or, more likely, Marciano just had incredible abilities in other, non-power related areas--chin, reflexes, stamina, toughness, etc....

I believe that Chuvalo named an unknown journeyman as the hardest hitter he ever faced--oftentimes they'll be just as hard hitters as the top-rung heavies, but lack one or more essential qualities (perhaps toughness, agility, speed, whatever).

mike
06-26-2006, 08:15 PM
check out boxing scene-- marciano article by casey--also psi further on the research site.

iskigoe
06-26-2006, 11:06 PM
are we defecting

mike
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
how do you mean?

iskigoe
06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Mike

Just kidding just saw another thread it also said go to boxing scene . just struck me funny .

Igoe

mike
06-28-2006, 01:26 PM
oh yeah--i didnt get it at first. mike

kfranklin
12-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Fact: The maximum impact force of a strike is subjective and directly related to how hard the strike surface is i.e. the harder the surface, the more force produced.
Therefore it follows the measurement of ultimate force requires a solid surface like a wall. Not very practical for training at any level (particularly for the young or inexperienced) where the delivery of ultimate force is the clear objective. Hypothetically then, if each of the major sport goods manufacturers produced a force measurement system they would all read differently, depending on their individual hardness, making comparisons between different systems and more importantly data, impossible. Similarly previous technical studies measuring force (using an endless variety of test rigs) are all incomparable.
It is this anomaly that fuels the on-going debate over who historically had the biggest punch!
So what exactly is supposed to be so clever about StrikeMate and what exactly has been achieved?
The standardized product we call StrikeMate measures impact power, not force.

It captures the actual peak power generated, which is highly indicative of the damage done to the recipient. Ultimate power delivery from a punch can now be measured relatively cheaply and on a PC, with little fear of broken bones, because although the surface is resistant enough to allow ultimate power generation, it has been designed to be tactile and user friendly, based on an extensive development program with real people. For the first time, meaningful comparisons can be made because the characteristics of the calibrated target are always congruent. .Boxers can accurately measure the power of punches, providing science- based measurements for the first time commercially. Professional clubs associations and trainers can compare the impact of individuals’ strikes gaining information not previously available, to improve the teaching and the methodology of power generation in boxing techniques quantifying details like, left side versus right side as well as assessing each technique, within a stable of fighters and across geographical boundaries. It is the perfect tool for discovering boxer’s weakest techniques.

If you would like to know more please visit our web-site www.strike-research.org or contact our managing director Kevin Franklin, for a personal reply and special silly prices for all who see this blog.

BDeskins
04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
I read a newspaper article back at the turn of the century that had punching power stats for Bob Fitzsimmons, Jim Jeffries and Sam McVea...McVea measured as the hardest hitter among the three!