PDA

View Full Version : Yaqui Lopez vs. Antonio Tarver

Newpoppop
10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Yaqui is one of my favorite 175 pounders, but I don't think he has the stamina to hang with Tarver. tarver by late TKO or UD.

kikibalt
10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Tarver would cut Lopez so bad that the ref. or doc.
would stop the fight by the 10s rd.

Frank B.

GorDoom
10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Yaqui would outwork him & stop Tarver in the middle rounds. Yaqui was one TOUGH sum'bitch with a high work rate. Tarver does too much posing.

GorDoom

TheSentinel
10-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I like Yaqui, unless he get's busted up- which was a real possibility. I feel the competition was way tougher in Yaqui's day. Conteh, Galindez, Rossman, Muhammad(s), and Spinks compare very favorably with Tarver's competition.

GorDoom
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Sentinel wrote:

"Conteh, Galindez, Rossman, Muhammad(s), and Spinks compare very favorably with Tarver's competition."

WHO has Tarver fought that compares with that kind of opposition? I'm not trying to get in your grill, I would just like to read your rationale.

GorDoom

StingerKarl
10-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I like Tarver here.
He is an extremely underrated Champion.
Yaqui was good and tough with good skills-but had no real punch.
Lopez also had brittle scar tissue and would bust up from the sharpshooter Tarver.
I just think Tarver was the better fighter and I admired Yaqui so much, but I gotta call it as I see it, folks.
Tarver by decision or late TKO due to cuts.
Karl

robertk
10-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Lopez decision.

That say 76 or so version of yaqui or even the guy that showed up to fight saad later on is going to be a lot to handle for tarver.

I don't like the way tarver holds that head straight up in the air like say mark breland or a pez dispenser. Tarver looks better against the guys that he has a major reach advantage on and can't reach those whiskers w/o going off balance. With a Yaqui Lopez, he has an opponent that can reach him and equally important, a guy that fires back in a millisecond > getting hit. And that's when I see tarver getting hit and hurt and altering his aggressiveness and going into more of a survival mode.

Once in that survival or just hanging in there stage, tarver will lose the rounds and won't take the risks to go for the W.

Ronald Lipton
10-08-2005, 02:13 PM
The other very knowledgeable posters picked Tarver and I know they know what they are talking about.

I feel from all the fights I saw Yaqui in the things that stick in my mind the most about him were how busy he would get with both hands, and tough his chin was. He was very determined to win and was the epitome of a pro.

Tarver's ko over Roy Jones Jr, was an all time showstopper for sure and Antonio got to him first softening him up for his ko by Glenn Johnson. His 6'2" height and his bodyframe of walking around weight of 190 or so is a formidable package.

If he has to make the weight of 175 for his fights as a light heavyweight champion and deal with Yaqui at 175, I go with Lopez's skills, punch output and determination to really surprise Tarver who seemed quite average a fighter to me in failing to rise to the occassion like a Bob Foster, Archie Moore, Spinks, etc to handle with dispatch the challenge of Johnson and the rubber match with Roy.

When level of competition is mentioned in these matchups it is a category not to be taken lightly. The level of competition factor has to go to Yaqui. What a warrior he was, what an honest hard working pro.

A guy like Yaqui IS boxing to me. Take all the trash talk that is so popular today, the ring entrances, and put that aside and concentrate on what happens when that bell rings.

Tarver would have his hands more full than a one armed paper hanger and certainly would have to cut up Yaqui to get out of a grueling battle of attrition while being tested to the boxing limit of what he could take.

Roy obviously was a shell of himself as we all know now in his bouts with Tarver, and Glenn Johnson a mediocore but tough light heavy gave Tarver all he could handle in what I felt was an unexciting lacklustre fight.

Yaqi was a war machine. He would make him fight after eating some southpaw right jabs and take up the slack and get inside. Tarver would push him, wrestle him around and try to use his size on him.

When Yaqui did not fall, and kept coming on and on, Tarver would be catching a lot of shots and he would then know what Saad went through, and then we would know if he had the heart to hang in there with someone like a Yaqui Lopez, who would not have much to say before the fight, just saving it all for his fists in that ring.

Lopez by late round tko or decision win.

TheSentinel
10-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi, Gordoom. I stated that Yaqui faced superior competition- I thought we were in agreement. Harding, Griffin, Johnson, etc. don't compare. I was always impressed by how John Conteh beat Lopez easier with one hand- than Galindez, Muhammad, did with both hands.