PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. California State Athletic Commission?

Chuck1052
06-29-2006, 06:58 PM
In the June 28, 2006 edition of the Los Angeles Times,
there was a article about the coming demise of the
California State Athletic Commission at the end of
this month. Frankly, I am stunned because the
said commission has been around since late 1924.

- Chuck Johnston

dongee
06-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Chuck:

That is a shocker, to be sure!

Did the article state the reason for closing down?

The only two I can think of are the lack of funding and the infrequent major tax-yielding shows.

Money problems began to plague the Commission when the 1% withheld from the boxers' and managers' paychecks after each show became insufficient to pay for medical expense for the injured combatants. Basic upkeep of the two offices, one in San Francisco and one in Los Angeles also seemed a bit much.

To think that the august body could once help sustain two boxers' hospices, one on Westmoreland and another on Jefferson Blvd. Old timer Tom Cox, a terrific booster for amateur boxing in southern California, was in charge of one home, my friend George Tolson hosted the other one. Out-of-town fighters could stay in those places at a moderate charge while waiting for an assignment locally.

Because of your research capabilities, Chuck, I'm sure you've come across the names of some of the best men who served on the Commission through the years. I mean fellows like Everett Sanders, Attorneys like Jules Covey and Jerry Geisler, and the legendary first boss (1925) of the group, Capt. Seth Strelinger, of the Hollywood American Legion.

What will the repercussions be, Chuck, insofar as boxing in the state goes? Will they go back to having the local authorities regulate the shows in each city? Or will the game be placed under the umbrella coverage of some other state agency?

What say you, pal?

hap navarro

kikibalt
06-29-2006, 09:00 PM
http://i5.tinypic.com/167w67n.jpg

Chuck1052
06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Hap- There have been some big boxing shows at Staples Center
since it opened. Another thing to consider is that California
has more professional boxing shows than any other state on
an annual basis. Of course, California use to have over
a thousand professional boxing shows a year during the late
1920s and only about one hundred a year recently.

- Chuck Johnston