PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Williams vs Buddy Baer

SigniferSanctusMichael
09-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Two big men with dynamite in their hands. Who wins?

Hagler04
09-30-2005, 02:04 PM
williams

Faster, better boxer, better jab

Baer's endurance and power might trouble Cleveland if he survives the first 4-6 rounds . . . .

StingerKarl
09-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Williams; but he would have some problems with Baer as he was so big.
Cleveland would chop him down to a 5 round kayo.
Karl

Ronald Lipton
10-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Buddy Baer was no joke and very dangerous.
His record is impressive and man he was big and strong. He could punch with the right hand and he did stop Galento and knock Louis out of the ring with it.

Cleve blew hot and cold and is a legend now. He made his bones off the Terrell ko, where a lot of people say Ernie ran out of gas, but it is still a good ko win for the Big Cat.

Liston ate him up twice in bad ways and hammered him into the floor. He did the job on big Tod Herring out of the Hugh Benbow stable same as him, with a nice overhand right. His left hook knockout over Dave Bailey with Liston refereeing smahed Bailey's nose all over his face, he could bang although he swung wide.

Color me crazy but I think this one goes the way Tex Cobb v Shavers went. I go with the Big Baer on this one unless Cleve could wake up from his lethargic starts and get him early. Cleve did not have a big ticker when the going got rough and Buddy rolled over a little too quick for my liking in the Louis rematch.

Whoever wanted this one more wins and whoever applies the fast thunder first without letting the other guy recover.
Baer could do it though. If the Big Cat splattered him with a solid hook, timber!

Steve McV
10-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Gentlemen, Baer could certainly punch (not as hard as Max, but still) but the man had no defense! Cleveland Williams wasn't exactly a clever boxer, but he knew what the heck he was doing in the ring. His defense wasn't the best; wasn't the worst, either. More, I'd wager he hit harder than Baer.

Sorry but although Baer has a slugger's chance, Williams has the advantage of skill AND the slugger's chance, probably a bigger chance than Baer because he hit harder. I just don't see Baer lasting more than four or five rounds, if that. Buddy had a good jaw but it would really be put to the test.